Waddell & Reed Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waddell & Reed (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Multiple interview format with personality test. First interview is with firm head. Be prepared to discuss potential markets you'd like to explore. Background check includes both personal financial issues as well as criminal.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in financial services?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Waddell & Reed (Riverside, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The office of Waddell & Reed in Downtown Riverside is very nice. The secretary was welcoming, and the interviewer really seemed like he wanted to get to know me to see if I was a good fit for the position. For those who are trying to get an intern position while being a full-time student, they do recommend being hired three months prior to when you graduate. There are also multiple rounds of interviews, and each interview lasts around 40 minutes

Interview Questions

• Are you looking to go into a business that is rewarding?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Interview

Laid back interview, they want articulate people who are comfortable with aggressive selling. It's a typical financial "advisor" position which ironically doesn't involve much advising at all. Essentially you are selling products like mutual funds to a market demographic that's called your "specialization". You can make a ton of money in the field but not many people can cut the mustard.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Interview

Long process. Began with introductory "interview." Left with homework to review literature and come back with questions. The next step was to come up with a list of 300 people and call 10 people regarding my potential entry into this field. The final steps were to review my list of people and go over my call log, and finally to have a final interview with myself and a Very Important Person in my life to ensure I would have a support system at home.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Interview

Three step process, very conversational which is good. be ready to ask a lot of questions and be ready to explain yourself. Also they switched me up with interview people to kind of throw you off. also they send home a packet to make sure you can talk to people, they arent farming you for info

Interview Questions

• What are some of your strengths and weaknessess   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Waddell & Reed (Sacramento, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First Interview with Managing Principle; 1/2 hour; very conversational. No resume review, just discussion of why he switched from Ameriprise and the freedom he gained by making the switch. Sent me home with a packet of info that's required by legal, and came back for a second interview which was to answer any questions I might had. He offered me a sponsorship (i.e. "position") to take the various tests. W&R pays for the online training; I pay for the tests which total less than $1K. There's an opportunity to get tests paid back, by meeting sales goals. I can work F/T or P/T and there are various 1st year incentives. Managing Principle has goal of 60 sponsorships per year; he's got a first year retention rate of 70%. (Varies greatly I suspect by office.) Most of his sponsorships go to "career changers." W&R only hires independent contractors - there are pluses/minus to this. Biggest plus is they can't tell you how to do what you do, etc. and you own your own book of business Minus is you better be able to sell, and do it mostly on your own initiative.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember - was very conversational   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waddell & Reed (Harrisburg, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very standard, one on one interview. First meeting is a review of a personality test taken beforehand. Second interview is more in depth on the Corporate Structure, and input on how the processes are handled throughout sales. More about how compensation is structured, and the 3 year plan that advisers follow.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Financial advisor and why would you be successful   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waddell & Reed (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Comfortable and casual interview environment. The job is primarily commission based and really depends on your ability to sell the products to your own personal contacts such as friends, family, etc. Several steps in the interview process do not think I will be returning for the second aspect of the hiring process.

Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Waddell & Reed (Schaumburg, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview went well but the job description was a little deceptive. If hired, you won't be an employee of Waddell and Reed but a private contractor for the company. There are also a series of test that you must take to be licensed, that you have to pay out off pocket. The total cost is about 1200.00

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Waddell & Reed in February 2015.

Interview

I applied from my university's career center. A few days later I received a call from Waddell & Reed to schedule the first interview.

The interview itself was one of the easier ones I've had. There were a few basic questions about myself, the resume/what I have done so far (internships, jobs, etc), where do I want to be in 5 years, etc... Then the managing principal told me a bit about himself, how he got started in this career and what the job is like. Super laid back interview, looked like a cool place to work.

I was sent home with a packet to do some reading, and was scheduled for the second interview. This position is a sales position which is basically all commission. The cool things is that they help you get your Series 7 and 66 licenses, and once you start producing, the cost is reimbursed. They also help/reimburse you for the CFP license.

I ended up cancelling the second interview because I was offered a different position, and also don't really think I would make a good salesman. Overall a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a financial adviser?   1 Answer