Waddell & Reed

111 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Financial Advisor Trainee

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Interview Details – Went in for an interview with the company. Got called back for a 2nd interview but declined. The opportunity just wasn't what I expected. The interviewer seemed very fake; all he could tell me was how great the opportunity was. He asked me if he could call my friends and bring them in for interviews as I was leaving. I also got the sense of a lot of smoke and mirrors going on at the office. The receptionist seemed miserable.

Interview Question – Interview was pretty straightforward. Went through my resume and was asked regular questions such as where I want to be in five years and why I liked the opportunity.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Interview Details – It wasn't an interview. They just told us about the position and then they called some of us back if we were interested in pursuing careers in the financial services industry. As long as you let them know during the first group "interview" that you want to be a financial advisor in the future, they will cal you for a second interview where they just tell you more about the position and do your background check so you can start the position.

Interviewed at Waddell & Reed

Interview Details – Overall process was 3 interviews, taking place over the course of 2 weeks. Met with a current advisor, District Manager and Managing Principal. Initially found me via posting my resume on Monster. First two interviews lasted about 45 minutes each, final interview was about 30 minutes.

Interview Question – Most questions were really based on relationship building and whether or not I was ready to utilize my own funds to build the business.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation; job is 100% commission & bonus based.

Financial Advisor

I applied online and interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Interview Details – I posted my resume online and got a call from the recruiter and scheduled an interview. The interview lasted about half an hour and just some basic behavior questions. After the interview, they will ask you to do a test to see if you have some personalities to do the job.

Interview Question – There is nothing difficult/unexpected.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Waddell & Reed in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied the resume on the website and it take a few days to get responded. There is tend to be a one hour webinar at first, just briefly introduced to Waddle & Reed and the role of a Financial Advisor. After the webinar, you need to complete a Pre- Kit selection onsite questionaire called LIMRA's Assessment Hub. When you finished the questionaire on time, the recruiter will contact you soon.
This job is aiming at U.S Citizen and do not provide sponsorship to those F1 status students. Since I am neither both of them, I was told not to be considered ever after.

Duluth, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Waddell & Reed in March 2014.

Interview Details – Started by sending in a resume and cover letter to HR. They forwarded my information to the local branch manager who contacted me looking to come in for an "interview." We really just talked about it more than anything and then set up a time to meet again. This process went on for several months. Luckily I had another job, other wise the process would have been more than frustrating.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a financial advisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It is commission based pay without a set work schedule, therefore there was no negotiation

Southlake, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Waddell & Reed in April 2014.

Interview Details – Emailed after posting to CareerBuilder. Held 1st 2nd interviews with Jimmy inside a week. 3rd received offer. Keep current job while studying/getting licensed -**huge plus W&R production requirements are lower compared to other firms I have interviewed with and NO door knocking. Culture upbeat and positive. Great location.

Interview Question – Are you willing to be accountable and do the activity necessary to succeed?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – In my experience of this type of interview (I've had 7) - it is been uncommon to find a manager with an approach like Jimmy's. He gives the whole picture - not a sugar coated version - gives you a lot to think about and I didn't receive an offer until my 3rd interview. Very honest and helped me understand this industry and what it takes to make it in this career.

Monroeville, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Waddell & Reed in April 2014.

Interview Details – I found Waddell at a job fair and after submitting my resume I received an email from a recruiter about a week after. I met with the recruiter and watched a video that was decidedly corporate but the recruiter was great with the interview and set me up a time to meet an adviser directly. A few weeks later I met with the adviser. The adviser and I realized quickly that the full commission approach Waddell has intimidated me, a firm indication that I was not the right fit. Instead of dismissing me, the adviser instead offered me around seven other contacts for me to call. I have spoken with many of them and am currently applying to jobs recommended by them. Without the adviser at Waddell my network would never have expanded to these individuals.

Interview Question – Are you comfortable with a risky first few months to be rewarded for during the coming years? I am paraphrasing here but the first few months you work towards your licenses, as a result you are not paid.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Waddell & Reed

Interview Details – Only went to the first interview. Seemed really slimy and not like something I would want to do. Would only involve cold calling, but they don't tell you that. They try to get you to sign up for something that isn't what you would really be doing. They offered me a second interview right away as long as I hit up my family and friends for financial services.

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Waddell & Reed in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a recruiter after responding to an online ad. I was impressed by the attention to detail, as they contacted me via the email address on my resume as opposed to the one I had replied to the ad with. The interview process took place over several weeks, involving multiple interviews and meetings. After deciding that I wanted to work for Waddell & Reed, the hiring process took quite a bit of both paperwork and legwork, which is standard for the industry.

Interview Question – None, fairly standard interview questions for this type of work.   Answer Question

Worked for Waddell & Reed? Contribute to the Community!