Waddell & Reed Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2015
Updated Mar 29, 2015

2.3

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Laid back interview, they want articulate people who are comfortable with aggressive selling. It's a typical financial "advisor" position which ironically doesn't involve much advising at all. Essentially you are selling products like mutual funds to a market demographic that's called your "specialization". You can make a ton of money in the field but not many people can cut the mustard.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Long process. Began with introductory "interview." Left with homework to review literature and come back with questions. The next step was to come up with a list of 300 people and call 10 people regarding my potential entry into this field. The final steps were to review my list of people and go over my call log, and finally to have a final interview with myself and a Very Important Person in my life to ensure I would have a support system at home.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

Three step process, very conversational which is good. be ready to ask a lot of questions and be ready to explain yourself. Also they switched me up with interview people to kind of throw you off. also they send home a packet to make sure you can talk to people, they arent farming you for info

Interview Questions
    • What are some of your strengths and weaknessess   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Waddell & Reed in March 2015.

Comfortable and casual interview environment. The job is primarily commission based and really depends on your ability to sell the products to your own personal contacts such as friends, family, etc. Several steps in the interview process do not think I will be returning for the second aspect of the hiring process.

Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Waddell & Reed in March 2015.

The interview went well but the job description was a little deceptive. If hired, you won't be an employee of Waddell and Reed but a private contractor for the company. There are also a series of test that you must take to be licensed, that you have to pay out off pocket. The total cost is about 1200.00

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Waddell & Reed in February 2015.

I applied from my university's career center. A few days later I received a call from Waddell & Reed to schedule the first interview.

The interview itself was one of the easier ones I've had. There were a few basic questions about myself, the resume/what I have done so far (internships, jobs, etc), where do I want to be in 5 years, etc... Then the managing principal told me a bit about himself, how he got started in this career and what the job is like. Super laid back interview, looked like a cool place to work.

I was sent home with a packet to do some reading, and was scheduled for the second interview. This position is a sales position which is basically all commission. The cool things is that they help you get your Series 7 and 66 licenses, and once you start producing, the cost is reimbursed. They also help/reimburse you for the CFP license.

I ended up cancelling the second interview because I was offered a different position, and also don't really think I would make a good salesman. Overall a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a financial adviser?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hamden, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Hamden, CT

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Waddell & Reed in February 2015.

Applied online, got an email recently after for interview. Interview was in person and relatively easy, but I am typically good at interviews. Interview was mostly about me and why I wanted this type of career. However, he informed me at the end that I would need to come up with around $1,000 so that I could get all my certifications. They do reimburse this once you pass and are with the company (not sure on exact details).

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Waddell & Reed in February 2015.

Scheduled an interview during a career fair run by my university. Interview lasted 30 minutes. Prior to sitting down with a recruiter, I filled out a single sheet with some basic questions on it. After I met with the recruiter and answered a few basic questions he had. Then I had the opportunity to ask him questions. Left the interview feeling it went well. I am currently waiting to hear back from them regarding the position.

Interview Questions
    • What value would you bring to this firm if you were hired?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waddell & Reed.

It was a 4 interview process designed to make sure you have what it takes. The first interview was an informal, "get a feel for your energy and motivation" interview. They send you home with an assignment to read some material and come back with some questions. Interview 2 is about the material and your questions. Then you get homework to call people to survey them. You report back for interview 3. The process will make some people uncomfortable, but that is the point. If you are not a people person, this is not the job for you. Interview 3 you discuss how the calling went. If all is well, interview 4 is with your spouse or significant other to make sure they are on board, answer their questions, and make sure they understand what to expect in the next 3-5 years.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected- They wanted to meet my spouse to make sure there would be support on the home-front.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Pay is based on personal business volume with generous bonuses for good first year performance. No leads provided.

Broker Services Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waddell & Reed.

I received a phone call, scheduled an interview, and went in one week later. It was a great interview and everyone made me feel comfortable. The interviewers were knowledgable, smart, and knew what they wanted.