Waffle House

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Warner Robins, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Waffle House in March 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process can be long depending on how far away they are from making recruiting quotas. They will hire anybody that has a bachelors degree and show that they are reliable hard worker and willing to learn.

Interview Question – Where can you see yourself in ten yeas? The question itself is not difficult. They want to know do you have plans to further your education and do you plan to be with the company in the long run...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate because they need you. I fail to realize this because I needed a job so bad...lol

Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Waffle House in April 2014.

Interview Details – It was easy. They ask questions but mostly tell you what to expect as a Unit Manager. You will work every holiday and most weekends..BUT you will get off early!

Interview Question – How do you feel about working hard?   Answer Question

Montgomery, AL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Waffle House.

Interview Details – HR Interview
Spousal Interview
Senior Level Interview
Drug Screening
Offer

Interview Question – There is no default list of questions. They operate on the fly in each interview.   Answer Question

Beaumont, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Waffle House in February 2014.

Interview Details – I met the owner at a job fair. He was friendly, told me about the business, and after a few minutes invited me for an interview. I interviewed with the HR Director, and the owner was present. Both the owner and the HR Director were courteous, polite, and I feel were honest with me about the expectations of the job.

I was not yet offered a position, but was asked for salary requirements. I contacted the HR Director and stated that I would like to terminate the interview process as the job requirements would be too great a strain on my family life.

Interview Question – I didn't expect salary to come up on the first interview, but it did.   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Waffle House in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1. This company had requested my application from my College Career Center.
2. Meet with People Person (HR)
3. Met with ALL of Management with in Chain of command ( 5 MORE people)
4. Skill Set tests
5. Work in a store for a full weekend
6. Drug test, Background
7. Spouse Interview
8. Job offer

Interview Question – A lot of Behavioral Questions ( Situation or Task, Action took, Result).
A lot of questions about honesty ( You will be in charge of $6000+ inventory.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non negotiable.

Jackson, MS

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Waffle House in February 2013.

Interview Details – 3 interviews. All easy. They are selling the job to you. Desperation. Anybody with a college degree is IN. Background Check. Personality test. Drug test. Credit check. Nothing to prepare for.

Interview Question – Why did you apply to Waffle House? It sounds like a no-brainer obvious interview question but the thought process of how you're going to respond is what makes it challenging. Clearly no one dreams of working at Waffle House in any position. LOL!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked me what was I making at my current job then offered me $11 an hour.e

Unit Manager Trainee

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Waffle House.

Interview Details – Interviewed with recuiter, area manager, unit manager and division mamanger.

Very Difficult Interview

Greenville, SC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Waffle House in August 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was lengthy. It involved a one and one half hour meeting with a Waffle House district manager. After that, it involved three days of work. Day one was from 6:30 AM until 4:30 PM and from 8:30 PM until 9:30 PM. There was no lunch break during the day (11 hour day).

Day two was from 6:30 AM until 3:00 PM & from 8:30 PM until 9:30 PM. There was no lunch break during the day (9.5 hours)

Day three was from 5:15 AM until 3:00 PM and again from 8:30 PM until 9:30 PM. There was no lunch break during the day (10.45 hours)

The managers mostly impressed me and spent hours with me talking about the position during these past three days. They told me that I will work all the time if I want to succeed as a Waffle House manager, working at least 55 hours a week on a six day on, six day off rotation.

At the end of the interview, I was offered the position of unit manager trainee at an annual salary of $30,000/year for approximately 12-14 weeks. This position leads to the position of unit manager with a salary floor of $38,200/year with the average unit manager making $42,000 annually. It seems that highly motivated people can make more than $42,000k as a unit manager.

I was told that my manager wants me to stay in the position of unit manager for two Christmas holidays before a promotion to district manager. The career progression for this position goes
Unit Manager Trainee (~30k) --> Unit Manager (~42k+) --> District manager (~65k+) --> Division Manager (80k+)

Interview Question – No questions were difficult or unexpected. The work was difficult and the training was difficult as managers were constantly watching how quickly I could pick up new processes and complete tasks.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Waffle House in April 2011.

Interview Details – First, I interviewed with the human resource manager at a career fair. They told me they were interested in athletes and military veterans. This is because you will work insane hours...11-hour days, ALL holidays, starting at 6:00 every morning and be on-call throughout the entire day and night in case you have to come in and manage. In my initial meeting with the human resource manager, he told me everybody who has worked for Waffle House started off at the lowest level and worked their way up. I then interviewed with the district manager who confirms whether or not you are worthy of a position and to continue the interviewing process. If you are, you take an IQ test and a personality test. They told me to answer the questions based on what they are looking for...not how you really feel personally. The test consisted of about 300 words to describe yourself and some simple math problems After you take the IQ/Personality tests you will receive a hair drug test. You will then go to the next phase of the interview called the "experience" portion where you will have to work 2 days starting at 6:30. Here I found out that the human resource manager did not start from the bottom like everybody and doesn't have the experience. After working the 2 days, you will be evaluated by the regional manager who will then evaluate your entire interview and the off will be made.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you're qualified to work for Waffle House?   Answer Question
  • Do you care more about spending time with your family or serving people?   View Answer

Unit Manager Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waffle House in March 2012.

Interview Details – Easy process. 2 interviews, worked in store for weekend

Interview Question – Are you outgoing?   Answer Question

Worked for Waffle House? Contribute to the Community!