1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Waffle House Unit Manager Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waffle House in May 2011.

I began my interview process through a phone interview with the district manager. I was skeptical at first, as I had heard promises of "quick promotion" and "uncapped earning bonuses" before. After a 30 minute phone interview, we both felt confident enough to continue with the interview process. The district manager I spoke with was very easy going and personable and immediately made me feel comfortable with the process. I was soon invited in to talk to the regional manager and meet the district manager in a face-to-face interview. We discussed that Waffle House is a debt-free company with career opportunities, structured unit manager training program, profit-based bonuses, and perfomance based promotions. I was told that Waffle House prefers to hire outside people for their manager-in-training (MIT) program instead of promoting hourly associates because it typically has better results (i.e. no bad habits to break or workplace baggage).That interview also went well and I left the unit feeling that this could be a real career opportunity. At the time I was considering several other career options so I was not in a hurry to make a quick decision. The next step was a "test run" day in one of the units. This day was spent floating around in the unit for several hours washing dishes, seating guests, and getting an overall feel for working in a Waffle House. I was given a conditional offer that day contigent on the hair follicle drug screen. They seemed impressed that I had done my research on the company and knew what I was talking about. My research (some from glassdoor) helped me get a pretty good idea of the job and also any negative feedback from current or past unit manager trainees (i.e. long hours, lots of responsibilty, pay plan, intensive training program). I was able to ask specific and direct questions that helped me during the interview process. Lastly, I advise all people considering the program to do their own research and ask lots of questions!

Interview Questions

Worked for Waffle House? Contribute to the Community!