WageWorks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Accounting Interview

Accounting
San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at WageWorks in February 2011.

Interview Details – First I interviewed with the hiring maanger on the phone. She asked me a lot of behavioral type questions, and also questions related to my work experience. The interview was not too difficult, as long as you have a general knowledge about accounting and US GAPP you should be fine. She did mention a few special accounting projects the Company had been doing, such as clean up of accrual accounts, and ask you if you have experience in that.

Then I was asked to go to the office to meet 6 people in total. They are mostly people in Finance department: another senior accountant, 2 accounting managers, the director of accounting (the hiring manager), the controller and a consultant who mainly works on M&A and stock options administration. They asked similar questions such as "why do you want to leave your current company?", "Why do you want to join WW?", "What are your top qualities that make you a fantastic candidate for this job?".

Overall I think the interview went well. I liked most of the people I met (one exception see below). The office looked very clean and comfortable to work at.

I remember one of the interviewers was pretty mean to me. When she heard that I was a licensed CPA, she said "I don't think a CPA is any better than a non-CPA!". This is insulting to me as I have spent years to pass all the exams and accumulate the right experience to get licensed. CPA means hard work and dedication to my career. I think what she said is very unprofessional and inappropriate for the occasion. Also, she kept asking me about my marital status, I seriously don't understand why that interested her that much. Should anyone be judged by whether (s)he is married or not?

Interview Question – I don't think CPA is any better than non-CPA!   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my salary up by $2,000. Although not a lot, but it's still better than the original offer. I would say this company tends to give a lower than industy standard compensation package, so you should definitely negotiate. The worst case is they will say NO!

Worked for WageWorks? Contribute to the Community!