WageWorks Interview Questions in San Mateo, CA

Updated Mar 25, 2015

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at WageWorks (San Mateo, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

approached by a recruiter, went through 2 rounds of interviews, feedback: hiring manager liked me, every interviewer had thumb up. Next thing you know, told me put in an offer which was way less than what they listed, and said would work on it. And then I was informed that the HR cut the salary again on the next day again.

Cash App Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at WageWorks (San Mateo, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

(Easy) Submit online application, waited for two weeks, received email from HR requesting 5 min. telephone interview. Unfortunately did not receive a call to the phone number I specified to HR. So was surprised to get call on other phone with an origination in Arizona. Thus, figured out HR was not local (San Mateo, CA) but located somewhere in Arizona... Weird that HR asked which phone number best to reach me but called on the number I did not specify. Anyway, interview was straightforward, asked about knowledge and skills.

HR rep. also asked how when I'd be available to interview (if called) with hiring manager and when I'd be able to start work.

Well, it has been two weeks since the telephone interview, and I have not heard back from HR. I know the job was filled as it's not advertised anymore. However, it seems that this company follows the same sort of unprofessional, discourteous attitude as other companies nowadays. Once they've decided they don't need an applicant they have no courtesy to inform them that they are not being considered.

Judging from the many poor employee reviews I'm not shocked and actually glad they did not consider me.

Interview Questions

• Telephone interview was straightforward so nothing difficult was asked.   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at WageWorks (San Mateo, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

First I interviewed with the hiring maanger on the phone. She asked me a lot of behavioral type questions, and also questions related to my work experience. The interview was not too difficult, as long as you have a general knowledge about accounting and US GAPP you should be fine. She did mention a few special accounting projects the Company had been doing, such as clean up of accrual accounts, and ask you if you have experience in that.

Then I was asked to go to the office to meet 6 people in total. They are mostly people in Finance department: another senior accountant, 2 accounting managers, the director of accounting (the hiring manager), the controller and a consultant who mainly works on M&A and stock options administration. They asked similar questions such as "why do you want to leave your current company?", "Why do you want to join WW?", "What are your top qualities that make you a fantastic candidate for this job?".

Overall I think the interview went well. I liked most of the people I met (one exception see below). The office looked very clean and comfortable to work at.

I remember one of the interviewers was pretty mean to me. When she heard that I was a licensed CPA, she said "I don't think a CPA is any better than a non-CPA!". This is insulting to me as I have spent years to pass all the exams and accumulate the right experience to get licensed. CPA means hard work and dedication to my career. I think what she said is very unprofessional and inappropriate for the occasion. Also, she kept asking me about my marital status, I seriously don't understand why that interested her that much. Should anyone be judged by whether (s)he is married or not?

Interview Questions

• I don't think CPA is any better than non-CPA!   2 Answers

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary up by $2,000. Although not a lot, but it's still better than the original offer. I would say this company tends to give a lower than industy standard compensation package, so you should definitely negotiate. The worst case is they will say NO!