Waggener Edstrom Communications

Waggener Edstrom Communications Account Executive Interview Questions

3.4

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

My interview process comprised:
Phone screening
Two additional phone calls with team members (one was a 1:1, the second was with two people)
In-person meeting (two people)

The internal WE recruiters are very nice, though they can take a while to respond. They also touted benefits that I later discovered were not available to me because of my team (WFH and flex options). Be wary of everything the recruiter dangles because it can be inaccurate.

Interview Questions
  • They asked specific questions about my past projects and experience. They also asked repeatedly if I was comfortable working with ambiguity.   Answer Question
Negotiated for a higher salary

Other Interview Reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in April 2010.

I was very lucky to be contacted by a member of the WE staffing team for an open AE position they were hiring for on the MS account. From the get go I had an amazing experience. Every person I interacted with on the staffing team were absolutely fantastic. I'd never had such a fun, relaxing, enjoyable time interviewing with a company, as strange as that sounds! I had never experienced a staffing team that took the time to check in with me periodically, providing updates even when they may not have had one to share, keeping me in the loop constantly, and just being great to work with.

Once I came in for my in person interview in the Bellevue office, I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist, I only had to wait maybe five minutes, and the next thing I knew I was walking out thinking - that's the place I want to be!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Oswego, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Oswego, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in December 2009.

If you are planning to interview with Waggener Edstrom, be prepared to be in it for the long haul. It is common for this agency to make canidates go through multiple rounds of interviews before ever making a hiring decision. Sure, there might be exceptions, but the odds are you will need to go through a ton of meetings before ever getting that elusive offer.

Getting the HR screening call - The first step in the door is simply getting their recruiting team to call you. If you want the best chances, find someone who works there and have them submit the resume on your behalf.

Phone screener - This will be a standard interview where HR tries to decide if you have a good PR background and determines what level of a position you'd be a fit for. You really have to sell yourself strongly throughout the process. Wagged is notorious for hiring people below their actual job grade.

Hiring manager phone interview - You may have to go through a few of these before a team expresses interest in bringing you in for an in person meeting. Don't get discouraged, as this is the typical process.

In person interview - For the in person meeting, you'll typically meet with the hiring manager and some of the immediate team members. You then will have another interview with a manager or director (whatever level is one step above what your boss would be). If you are a good canidate, they may introduce you to the team's head executive for the final sign off. Interviews often happen across multiple days, so you may have to visit the office several times.

Waggener will check your references before makig an offer. If they start calling your list, expect an offer shortly.

When you get an offer - Then you're almost in the homestretch. You'll get a call from the recruiter (and sometimes the hiring manager will be on the line) and they will spell it all out for you. See my notes for the salary negotiation process below.

Skills Assessment - Waggener asks all account people to take a writing proficiency test before hiring. This is a 60 minute timed test where you are asked to write a fake press release about your experience interviewing with the agency. Study the AP style guide, watch your typos, and read a few recent Microsoft releases for inspiration.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have an interest in technology?   View Answer
    As others mentioned here, you shouldn't necessarily accept the first offer. But you have to understand that the negotiation really happens in the HR screening interview. There is a set pay range for every job level and you really can't negotiate beyond that more than a few thousand a year in base salary.

In addition to the base salary, you can try negotiating a sign on bonus. This is a good fallback if they won't budge on the base salary.

Waggener's pay scale is competitive with the industry. While they will push to hire you at a lower level than your true skill set, the company does pay well and has good benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in January 2008.

I worked at the firm previously and came back. But for new people you typically would interview with HR, several members of the team, and a senior person. Interviews are primarily job-related "what would you do..." and going through your resume.

Interview Questions
    Negotiated salary and title, didn't get either.

Account Executive Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in November 2011.

After being contacted by an external recruiter and having two separate calls with two different internal recruiters, I reviewed a number of job descriptions (I hadn't applied for a specific position) and let them know which I was interested in. The process with the internal recruiters took about 3 or 4 weeks - after I expressed interest in a particular job, I was invited to a phone interview a few days later with that team. I spoke to the to them that morning and was offered the job that afternoon.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think are the challenges we face in the market? (Specific to client)   Answer Question