Waggener Edstrom Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

Interview Details – Very professional and dialed out. The hiring staff really seems to have their pulse on the company needs and fit. I have only done two rounds of interviews so far, but I'm very impressed with the the process and understanding. These are very experienced people who have been through a lot and know what they are looking for.

Interview Question – Why did you apply for multiple positions?   View Answer

PR Senior Account Executive Interview

PR Senior Account Executive
Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in March 2010.

Interview Details – 2-3 phone screening interviews. 2-3 in person interviews.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had to give a client bad news.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They won't negotiate on salary, but will be flexible on start date.

Senior Account Executive Interview

Senior Account Executive
Lake Oswego, OR

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

Interview Details – One in-person and a number of phone interviews... it took me four months to get hired, and I was considered for three jobs before I finally got the fourth (I was either overqualified or it was filled internally.) Communication with HR was spotty at best... promised calls not returned, etc. The staffing person I worked with no longer works there, but I am not sure how much better it is now.

Interview Question – I only remember someone asking what publications I read regularly--I don't recall it being a very squeamish interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for $2k more than I was offered, and they accepted.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume through a contact at my university, I received an email from HR and we had an initial 30-minute phone interview about a week later. It was your pretty standard HR job interview -- tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here, strengths/weaknesses. Then I had another phone interview with the hiring manager (this was the toughest interview, but I knew my stuff so no major challenges), and finally an in-person interview with the director of the practice area I was trying to join. Last step was a phone call with the VP for the practice area -- very casual conversation with some more questions about my interest in PR and that practice area in particular.

Interview Question – What are some trends that you expect to become essential in PR/this practice area?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

Interview Details – My interview process comprised:
Phone screening
Two additional phone calls with team members (one was a 1:1, the second was with two people)
In-person meeting (two people)

The internal WE recruiters are very nice, though they can take a while to respond. They also touted benefits that I later discovered were not available to me because of my team (WFH and flex options). Be wary of everything the recruiter dangles because it can be inaccurate.

Interview Question – They asked specific questions about my past projects and experience. They also asked repeatedly if I was comfortable working with ambiguity.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated for a higher salary

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

Interview Details – So very organized, everyone within the office was friendly and welcoming. This was my second interview, the first interview was conducted over the phone.

Vice President Interview

Vice President
Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in December 2008.

Interview Details – A very thoughtful, well managed process. I was referred by someone internally, so the usual phone screening was not included. First interview was over lunch with one of the firm's executive officers. She was exceptionally well-prepared, pleasant and genuinely interested in my point of view. Secondary step was a day of in-person and phone interviews conducted at the headquarters office. The five or so people I met with that day were also similarly pleasant, smart and well-prepared. All in all, an excellent process

Interview Question – How would you handle problem x that we are experiencing? It was a tough question knowing so little about the firm at that point   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in August 2012.

Interview Details – After applying to the internship program, I heard from a recruiter within the next day. The phone screening was enjoyable, and I ended up talking to the recruiter for over an hour. She made me feel comfortable throughout the interview and it felt more like a conversation, rather than an interview. A week later, I was invited into the office for an interview. The in-office interview was quite different than what I expected based on the phone interview. I felt like the interviewer wasn't enthusiastic or trying to get to know me. I left feeling like I didn't cover the nature of my experiences holistically and thoroughly. It also felt very rushed. The recruiter once again followed up, and overall made the experience relatively positive. Be prepared to have situations from past experiences ready for a variety of behavioral questions.

Interview Question – - Is there anything you would like to make sure I know before the interview?
- What is the most creative thing you've ever done?
- What is your interest in technology?
  Answer Question

Assistant Account Executive Interview

Assistant Account Executive
Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

Interview Details – I highly recommend checking out previous Glassdoor reviews on interviews at Waggener; they were very helpful to me throughout interviewing.

My process included submitting my resume through a friend who worked there and four interviews with seven people total, two of whom I work with regularly. Overall, I was very happy with how interviewers and recruiters accommodated my scheduling needs as well as how transparent my main recruiter was toward the end. The hiring process was very process-heavy but employee behavior was casual and welcoming.

My first impressions of the recruiters were not strong. The first interview was a typical recruiter phone screen. She gauged my interest in two open jobs then went radio silent for more than a month without a good explanation or updates. I found out via my friend who worked there that it was because Microsoft was figuring out its PR budget for the next fiscal year. She then passed me to a recruiter who I worked with to get my current job. That recruiter and I had a call where she gauged my interest in a new job. It frustrated me how she misinformed me on the job's scope - including number of clients I would work on - but she ended up being very helpful later on in the process.

I then had two rounds of in-person interviews with people in the department I work in, through which I got a much clearer idea of what the position would be and what Waggener culture is like. I think I would have had the option to tell the recruiter I would prefer to keep looking at other teams but I didn't.

After the interviews, the recruiter let me know that I was getting an offer but had to complete a writing test and send references first. The writing test was easy, and I liked that I could complete it at home. She kept me informed on the time frame for the day they wanted me to start so both she and I could keep the offer and negotiation process moving quickly.

Interview Questions

• The last stage in interviewing is a form that includes three professional references and two editorial references. Depending on the position, you may not need editorial ones, but you should confirm you don't have to submit them.   View Answer
  • "What do you do say to a client when you under-deliver on what you have promised them?"   View Answer
  • "Talk about a strategy you developed and presented to a client."   View Answer
  • "Can you talk about at time when something didn't go as planned and you had to change course part-way through a project?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was brief and consisted of two phone calls with the recruiter I worked with most of the time. I had a set salary amount I was aiming for based on pre-existing knowledge of the range AAEs get paid at Wag Ed. The recruiter offered me a signing bonus that was the difference in what they initially offered and what I wanted for annual salary. It may have helped that I had emphasized throughout the interview process that I was performing a lot of tasks in my current job above what many AAEs do and wanted my new job duties and compensation to reflect that.

Senior Account Executive Interview

Senior Account Executive
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in June 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my application through their automated system and was contacted via email from their Talent Acquisition team. I had telephone interviews with the TA Partner, Account Manager, and Account Director. I was supposed to interview with the SVP of the practice, but she became unavailable due to a client conflict.

I was also asked to send writing samples to them.

All of the interviews started at the time they scheduled them to happen and they were very professional and very positive. The HR and Talent Acquisition teams even sent me email updates on what the next steps were even before I decided to follow-up. I really appreciated that gesture, it shows professionalism and courtesy on their part.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to convince your senior managers or executive team to do something that they didn't want to do. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • How did you come up with the strategy to communicate it (specific to the job)?   Answer Question

Worked for Waggener Edstrom Communications? Contribute to the Community!