Waggener Edstrom Communications Interview Questions & Reviews

35 interviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in January 2008.

I worked at the firm previously and came back. But for new people you typically would interview with HR, several members of the team, and a senior person. Interviews are primarily job-related "what would you do..." and going through your resume.

Interview Questions
    Negotiated salary and title, didn't get either.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in April 2010.

I was very lucky to be contacted by a member of the WE staffing team for an open AE position they were hiring for on the MS account. From the get go I had an amazing experience. Every person I interacted with on the staffing team were absolutely fantastic. I'd never had such a fun, relaxing, enjoyable time interviewing with a company, as strange as that sounds! I had never experienced a staffing team that took the time to check in with me periodically, providing updates even when they may not have had one to share, keeping me in the loop constantly, and just being great to work with.

Once I came in for my in person interview in the Bellevue office, I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist, I only had to wait maybe five minutes, and the next thing I knew I was walking out thinking - that's the place I want to be!

Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in June 2011.

I suppose that with many prestigious agencies in the US and around the world, there are many "invisible" factors that help to determine your candidacy as a potential employee. Although I easily had a year experience interning under my belt, I was told that I did not meet the qualifications.
    However, the panel I interviewed with was very nice and engaging, yet I find it absurd that even with my experience, I was not offered the position. I was later not selected for Fall Intern interviews. It makes me believe that hard working individuals are often overlooked for those who have connections in the industry. I admit that I have a biased opinion because I was not offered the position, however, it was an insult to hear that I did not qualify based on my experience.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in August 2009.

phone call from hr, phone interview with hiring manager, in person interview with hiring manager in person interview with the team

Interview Questions
    I was made a ton of promises none of which were honored

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in June 2009.

I applied for an internship opportunity in my home city office's but instead received an e-mail from HR about an internship opportunity in my college town. A 15-minute phone interview with their HR person was the first step, and a couple of days later I was called in for an in-person interview. Questions were the norm: tell us about yourself; why WE; what's your biggest strength/weakness, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What experience in the classroom could help you excel as an intern for our technology clients?   Answer Question
    • Why public relations?   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in January 2010.

I was contacted through LinkedIn. I spoke with two HR people and an account person over the phone before they flew me out to Seattle for an in-person interview. Incidentally, this is how I found out that the offices are actually in a suburb of Seattle. I met with two senior team members (VPs) for about 30-45 minutes and then a SAE for another half hour. The atmosphere appears laid-back (casual dress code) but rest assured that they are very serious about their business. I was asked fairly detailed questions on my experience and several "what if you were in this situation" questions. They kept me on my toes, not many easy, "softball" questions.

The interview process was very professional and courteous - although I ended up declining the offer ($63K for an SAE spot), the HR reps were polite and easy to work with throughout the process. I really appreciated that.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a lot of questions specific to the work expected of the position and my experience in a particular industry.   Answer Question
    • What kind of management style do you prefer?   Answer Question

Poor timing on my end - nothing to do with WE.

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in January 2008.

Four rounds of interviews for an entry level position, including one interview with HR recruiter and three interviews with different people on the team. More back-and-forth emails with recruiter than you can imagine. It all seemed a bit unnecessary. Likely would have declined the opening even if I had received the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in June 2010.

The interview process was the best interview process I have ever had. It was easy, enjoyable yet very professional. Come prepared, but relax.

Interview Questions
    • Know how to connect your strategies to your results.   Answer Question
    • What do you view as a current trend in the PR industry and why?   Answer Question
    N/A

Senior Events Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in June 2010.

I submitted my resume online and received a call back within 48 hours. The interview process began with a number of phone interviews; primarily because the Senior-Level staff of the Events team was located on the West Coast, although the position was being offered in NYC.

After 3-4 phone interviews. I moved on to 3 face-to-face interviews. From there, I was notified that it was down to myself and another person and after calling repeatedly I was later notified that the position was offered to the other candidate.

The experience was pleasant but long. Please be prepared with patience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lake Oswego, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Oswego, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in December 2009.

If you are planning to interview with Waggener Edstrom, be prepared to be in it for the long haul. It is common for this agency to make canidates go through multiple rounds of interviews before ever making a hiring decision. Sure, there might be exceptions, but the odds are you will need to go through a ton of meetings before ever getting that elusive offer.

Getting the HR screening call - The first step in the door is simply getting their recruiting team to call you. If you want the best chances, find someone who works there and have them submit the resume on your behalf.

Phone screener - This will be a standard interview where HR tries to decide if you have a good PR background and determines what level of a position you'd be a fit for. You really have to sell yourself strongly throughout the process. Wagged is notorious for hiring people below their actual job grade.

Hiring manager phone interview - You may have to go through a few of these before a team expresses interest in bringing you in for an in person meeting. Don't get discouraged, as this is the typical process.

In person interview - For the in person meeting, you'll typically meet with the hiring manager and some of the immediate team members. You then will have another interview with a manager or director (whatever level is one step above what your boss would be). If you are a good canidate, they may introduce you to the team's head executive for the final sign off. Interviews often happen across multiple days, so you may have to visit the office several times.

Waggener will check your references before makig an offer. If they start calling your list, expect an offer shortly.

When you get an offer - Then you're almost in the homestretch. You'll get a call from the recruiter (and sometimes the hiring manager will be on the line) and they will spell it all out for you. See my notes for the salary negotiation process below.

Skills Assessment - Waggener asks all account people to take a writing proficiency test before hiring. This is a 60 minute timed test where you are asked to write a fake press release about your experience interviewing with the agency. Study the AP style guide, watch your typos, and read a few recent Microsoft releases for inspiration.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have an interest in technology?   View Answer
    As others mentioned here, you shouldn't necessarily accept the first offer. But you have to understand that the negotiation really happens in the HR screening interview. There is a set pay range for every job level and you really can't negotiate beyond that more than a few thousand a year in base salary.

In addition to the base salary, you can try negotiating a sign on bonus. This is a good fallback if they won't budge on the base salary.

Waggener's pay scale is competitive with the industry. While they will push to hire you at a lower level than your true skill set, the company does pay well and has good benefits.