Waggener Edstrom Communications

3.3

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in January 2008.

Four rounds of interviews for an entry level position, including one interview with HR recruiter and three interviews with different people on the team. More back-and-forth emails with recruiter than you can imagine. It all seemed a bit unnecessary. Likely would have declined the opening even if I had received the offer.

Public Relations Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in January 2008.

Very rigorous interview process. You meet with many people to see if you'll "fit in" within the team. Went through about 5 interviews over the course of 2 months. HR Managers, managers, etc. Be prepared to answer a lot of "what would you do" in this situation questions. They really promote innovation here, but it's very corporate underneath. I noticed the dress code is very lax, but attitudes still very much old school corporate. People seem to talk a big game here, especially on the higher end. The management is on the younger end, and their are too many "VP's". Basically too many hands in the pot within the interview and the job itself. Could be much more simplified. I felt like I was interviewing for a position at a law firm.

Interview Questions
    • In what ways could you provide assistance to someone inside the agency?   View Answer
    Don't accept the first offer they give you. They really tried to sell me the position with their 4 weeks of vacation, profit share, etc. However, you should note pay increases and profit share has been frozen indefinitely. Don't expect too much from them right now in lieu of a fantastic compensation package because of the economy. On the plus side, they still offer "continuing education", which is 2.5 % of your base salary to go towards forwarding your career. But they have been making some changes to that as well, which is making it harder to use.

PR account team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in February 2007.

Overall:
    Long, drawn out and a bit exhausting.
    On the work culture: the work gets old. Feels a bit caught up in process. If you're looking for a) creativity b) innovation c) excitement around projects d) all of the above - look elsewhere.

Initial Interview:
    The initial phone conversation was good. The VP was genuinely interested in my background. Asked good questions, and spoke openly and honestly about the company. Both good and not so good observations - I appreciated that.

Subsequent Interviews:
    I interviewed for various teams - none of which expressed clear vision for their T-Mobile or Microsoft products - that concerned me. Of the 5+ teams I interviewed with, there was only one that excited me. I accepted that offer, but a few notes about the impressions of the other teams - here's what I observed --

1) lack luster team atmosphere 2) stuck in "process of job" versus creativity... not convinced those teams were forward thinkers 3) C- on explanations about their team.. meaning, I questioned whether interviewer knew what they were talking about RE: product/service/client. I know. Scary!

Number of Interviews:
    I do not want to discourage you, so I will not quantify, but it was a lot. I later learned that this practice is typical, so don't feel alone.

Interviewing with Multiple Teams:
    If you're interviewing with multiple teams, this process can be daunting, so be prepared - the recruiters can take a while to follow up on the status of things. Meaning, you'll need a healthy does of patience... your offer package may upward of 6 months to get. My advice: be clear on the type of role you're looking for, and share your preference for timing (e.g. when you'd like to start).

Insider's Perspective:
    Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. I landed on my team because I knew what I was looking for. It's no secret, there are some unhappy campers walking the halls and complaining about all things work, but mainly complaining about their day-to-day responsibilities. You can avoid this situation by being proactive. Ask questions!

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time you had to persuade other people to take action. Were you successful?   View Answer
    Yes. Negotiate. It is a fact, you will get low-balled.

General advice: Always negotiate.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

1. Phone interview with HR personnel from Hong Kong - They decide who to put through for the interview at the local office ~ 40 mins

2. One to one interview with account managers, meet with team members

3. English Proficiency test (1hr)

Interview Questions
    • Usual interview question, Why did you choose PR. What you know about Waggener Edstrom.

Proficiency test isn't easy, but manageable
        Answer Question

Public Relations Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in June 2013.

Received a phone call from HR in Hong Kong a week after submitting application - general questions like why PR. 1:1 with another HR after another week and later with the supervisor. Mostly pretty general questions - what do you think is PR? What are your interests? How much do you know technology. Then there was a English proficiency test, email drafting, translation, etc. Pretty basic.

Interview Questions
    Nothing. Received a drafted contract.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in May 2013.

I applied for an internship in a Technology Dep. HR person got back to me after a week, and we've scheduled a phone interview. It was really nice, they didn't ask any specific questions.
    I had to describe my current situation, explain why do I want to work in PR what is my interest in Technology. The interview took 20min.
    I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in February 2013.

Interview process is very professional. It starts with an arranged phone interview from the HR department in Hong Kong before an arranged interview with the accounts team in Singapore.

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in July 2012.

Glassdoor interview reviews were really useful in helping prepare for the interviews. There were three parts to the interview. I had a phone interview with the HR personnel located in Hong Kong and the experience was pleasant. Next, I had to go down to the local office for an interview with my team where the interview lasted for more than an hour. I think it was close to one and a half hours. That was the longest interview I ever had! The questions asked were pretty typical interview questions and I think they wanted to know how well I would fit in the team as well. The day after the face-to-face interview, I received a written assignment, which wasn't easy. Overall, I enjoyed the interview process and love my current job!

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in April 2012.

Was contacted by a recruiter. Had four phone interviews and a day long interview in person. Long process.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in February 2012.

I was contacted by a staffing partner who had received my CV from an internal referral. We set up a call with me. Our initial conversation focused on my current experience, reasons for wanting to leave and what my expectations are regarding responsibilities and reimbursement. The person I dealt with was very thorough and answered all of my questions.

My second interview was about a week later and was initially meant to be another call, but the person happened to be in South Africa at the time and I thus had an opportunity to meet in a 1:1 interview. The atmosphere was relaxed and conversational, focusing on the big-picture view for this role and the skills and qualities needed for the successful candidate.

My third interview was with the country GM in South Africa and was quite brief and focused on my personality and skills. Though this position reports to a UK-based manager, it is based in the office in South Africa. Part of this interview was to see if the candidate would fit into the existing team's culture. This interview took place three weeks after the first call.

The fourth and final part of this interview was a 20 minute screen-share presentation to a board in the UK as well as to the GM in South Africa. The presentation took place in the WE South Africa offices and happened six weeks after my initial contact with the staffing partner.

Throughout the process everyone was open to answering questions and cordial on email. I received an offer from them within a week of the presentation and after gathering references and doing a background check, all contracts and other paperwork was completed within a matter of days.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see yourself as a problem solver? Please give an example of how you work through a problem and how you applied that principle to your job.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a failure that occurred as a direct consequence of an oversight on your part, and how did you manage the situation? Did you implement any measures to avoid a similar situation going forward?   Answer Question