Waggener Edstrom Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

PR account team Interview

PR account team
Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in February 2007.

Interview Details – Overall:
Long, drawn out and a bit exhausting.
On the work culture: the work gets old. Feels a bit caught up in process. If you're looking for a) creativity b) innovation c) excitement around projects d) all of the above - look elsewhere.

Initial Interview:
The initial phone conversation was good. The VP was genuinely interested in my background. Asked good questions, and spoke openly and honestly about the company. Both good and not so good observations - I appreciated that.

Subsequent Interviews:
I interviewed for various teams - none of which expressed clear vision for their T-Mobile or Microsoft products - that concerned me. Of the 5+ teams I interviewed with, there was only one that excited me. I accepted that offer, but a few notes about the impressions of the other teams - here's what I observed --

1) lack luster team atmosphere 2) stuck in "process of job" versus creativity... not convinced those teams were forward thinkers 3) C- on explanations about their team.. meaning, I questioned whether interviewer knew what they were talking about RE: product/service/client. I know. Scary!

Number of Interviews:
I do not want to discourage you, so I will not quantify, but it was a lot. I later learned that this practice is typical, so don't feel alone.

Interviewing with Multiple Teams:
If you're interviewing with multiple teams, this process can be daunting, so be prepared - the recruiters can take a while to follow up on the status of things. Meaning, you'll need a healthy does of patience... your offer package may upward of 6 months to get. My advice: be clear on the type of role you're looking for, and share your preference for timing (e.g. when you'd like to start).

Insider's Perspective:
Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. I landed on my team because I knew what I was looking for. It's no secret, there are some unhappy campers walking the halls and complaining about all things work, but mainly complaining about their day-to-day responsibilities. You can avoid this situation by being proactive. Ask questions!

Good luck!

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time you had to persuade other people to take action. Were you successful?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes. Negotiate. It is a fact, you will get low-balled.

General advice: Always negotiate.

Worked for Waggener Edstrom Communications? Contribute to the Community!