Waggener Edstrom Communications Interview Questions in Portland, OR

Updated Aug 2, 2015

3.5

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications (Portland, OR).

Interview

Very professional and dialed out. The hiring staff really seems to have their pulse on the company needs and fit. I have only done two rounds of interviews so far, but I'm very impressed with the the process and understanding. These are very experienced people who have been through a lot and know what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for multiple positions?   1 Answer

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications (Lake Oswego, OR).

Interview

One in-person and a number of phone interviews... it took me four months to get hired, and I was considered for three jobs before I finally got the fourth (I was either overqualified or it was filled internally.) Communication with HR was spotty at best... promised calls not returned, etc. The staffing person I worked with no longer works there, but I am not sure how much better it is now.

Interview Questions

• I only remember someone asking what publications I read regularly--I don't recall it being a very squeamish interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for $2k more than I was offered, and they accepted.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications (Portland, OR).

Interview

So very organized, everyone within the office was friendly and welcoming. This was my second interview, the first interview was conducted over the phone.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications (Portland, OR) in March 2011.

Interview

One of the most thorough interview processes in the industry. Spoke to many team members, so they really go to know my background and experience, and I could gain a better understanding of their working environment and expectations. Meetings were via phone mostly, but then in person. It was one of the longer processes I have seen, but a good idea for both the candidate and the company to make sure there's a good fit.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging problem you have experienced in your career?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications (Portland, OR) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview process was the best interview process I have ever had. It was easy, enjoyable yet very professional. Come prepared, but relax.

Interview Questions

• Know how to connect your strategies to your results.   Answer Question
    • What do you view as a current trend in the PR industry and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

PR Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications (Portland, OR) in March 2010.

Interview

2-3 phone screening interviews. 2-3 in person interviews.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to give a client bad news.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They won't negotiate on salary, but will be flexible on start date.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications (Lake Oswego, OR) in December 2009.

Interview

If you are planning to interview with Waggener Edstrom, be prepared to be in it for the long haul. It is common for this agency to make canidates go through multiple rounds of interviews before ever making a hiring decision. Sure, there might be exceptions, but the odds are you will need to go through a ton of meetings before ever getting that elusive offer. Getting the HR screening call - The first step in the door is simply getting their recruiting team to call you. If you want the best chances, find someone who works there and have them submit the resume on your behalf. Phone screener - This will be a standard interview where HR tries to decide if you have a good PR background and determines what level of a position you'd be a fit for. You really have to sell yourself strongly throughout the process. Wagged is notorious for hiring people below their actual job grade. Hiring manager phone interview - You may have to go through a few of these before a team expresses interest in bringing you in for an in person meeting. Don't get discouraged, as this is the typical process. In person interview - For the in person meeting, you'll typically meet with the hiring manager and some of the immediate team members. You then will have another interview with a manager or director (whatever level is one step above what your boss would be). If you are a good canidate, they may introduce you to the team's head executive for the final sign off. Interviews often happen across multiple days, so you may have to visit the office several times. Waggener will check your references before makig an offer. If they start calling your list, expect an offer shortly. When you get an offer - Then you're almost in the homestretch. You'll get a call from the recruiter (and sometimes the hiring manager will be on the line) and they will spell it all out for you. See my notes for the salary negotiation process below. Skills Assessment - Waggener asks all account people to take a writing proficiency test before hiring. This is a 60 minute timed test where you are asked to write a fake press release about your experience interviewing with the agency. Study the AP style guide, watch your typos, and read a few recent Microsoft releases for inspiration.

Interview Questions

• Do you have an interest in technology?   1 Answer

Negotiation

As others mentioned here, you shouldn't necessarily accept the first offer. But you have to understand that the negotiation really happens in the HR screening interview. There is a set pay range for every job level and you really can't negotiate beyond that more than a few thousand a year in base salary. In addition to the base salary, you can try negotiating a sign on bonus. This is a good fallback if they won't budge on the base salary. Waggener's pay scale is competitive with the industry. While they will push to hire you at a lower level than your true skill set, the company does pay well and has good benefits.