Waggener Edstrom Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

Interview Details – Very professional and dialed out. The hiring staff really seems to have their pulse on the company needs and fit. I have only done two rounds of interviews so far, but I'm very impressed with the the process and understanding. These are very experienced people who have been through a lot and know what they are looking for.

Interview Question – Why did you apply for multiple positions?   View Answer

PR Senior Account Executive Interview

PR Senior Account Executive
Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in March 2010.

Interview Details – 2-3 phone screening interviews. 2-3 in person interviews.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had to give a client bad news.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They won't negotiate on salary, but will be flexible on start date.

Senior Account Executive Interview

Senior Account Executive
Lake Oswego, OR

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

Interview Details – One in-person and a number of phone interviews... it took me four months to get hired, and I was considered for three jobs before I finally got the fourth (I was either overqualified or it was filled internally.) Communication with HR was spotty at best... promised calls not returned, etc. The staffing person I worked with no longer works there, but I am not sure how much better it is now.

Interview Question – I only remember someone asking what publications I read regularly--I don't recall it being a very squeamish interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for $2k more than I was offered, and they accepted.

Intern Interview

Intern
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications.

Interview Details – So very organized, everyone within the office was friendly and welcoming. This was my second interview, the first interview was conducted over the phone.

Interview Questions

Intern Interview

Intern
Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was the best interview process I have ever had. It was easy, enjoyable yet very professional. Come prepared, but relax.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – N/A

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Lake Oswego, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Waggener Edstrom Communications in December 2009.

Interview Details – If you are planning to interview with Waggener Edstrom, be prepared to be in it for the long haul. It is common for this agency to make canidates go through multiple rounds of interviews before ever making a hiring decision. Sure, there might be exceptions, but the odds are you will need to go through a ton of meetings before ever getting that elusive offer.

Getting the HR screening call - The first step in the door is simply getting their recruiting team to call you. If you want the best chances, find someone who works there and have them submit the resume on your behalf.

Phone screener - This will be a standard interview where HR tries to decide if you have a good PR background and determines what level of a position you'd be a fit for. You really have to sell yourself strongly throughout the process. Wagged is notorious for hiring people below their actual job grade.

Hiring manager phone interview - You may have to go through a few of these before a team expresses interest in bringing you in for an in person meeting. Don't get discouraged, as this is the typical process.

In person interview - For the in person meeting, you'll typically meet with the hiring manager and some of the immediate team members. You then will have another interview with a manager or director (whatever level is one step above what your boss would be). If you are a good canidate, they may introduce you to the team's head executive for the final sign off. Interviews often happen across multiple days, so you may have to visit the office several times.

Waggener will check your references before makig an offer. If they start calling your list, expect an offer shortly.

When you get an offer - Then you're almost in the homestretch. You'll get a call from the recruiter (and sometimes the hiring manager will be on the line) and they will spell it all out for you. See my notes for the salary negotiation process below.

Skills Assessment - Waggener asks all account people to take a writing proficiency test before hiring. This is a 60 minute timed test where you are asked to write a fake press release about your experience interviewing with the agency. Study the AP style guide, watch your typos, and read a few recent Microsoft releases for inspiration.

Interview Question – Do you have an interest in technology?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As others mentioned here, you shouldn't necessarily accept the first offer. But you have to understand that the negotiation really happens in the HR screening interview. There is a set pay range for every job level and you really can't negotiate beyond that more than a few thousand a year in base salary.

In addition to the base salary, you can try negotiating a sign on bonus. This is a good fallback if they won't budge on the base salary.

Waggener's pay scale is competitive with the industry. While they will push to hire you at a lower level than your true skill set, the company does pay well and has good benefits.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Waggener Edstrom Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Waggener Edstrom Communications Videos

Waggener Edstrom Communications – Why Work for Us?

You Bring the Passion. We’ll Supply the Opportunities. Every innovation starts with a big idea, but it is how you tell its story that makes an impact. That’s where we come in. As a global communications agency, we use… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Waggener Edstrom Communications interview questions and advice in Portland, OR. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Waggener Edstrom Communications employees and interview candidates.