Waitrose

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

2.8

Store Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Waitrose in February 2015.

-Online: Filled in application form. Took a while, especially including the online tests. I've heard other people on here complaining how difficult they were. I have to say, compared to other companies online, Waitrose's online tests were quite easy. There aren't exactly a right or wrong answer on one- it mainly tests your way of thinking. I think there were 2 tests overall. I submitted the application after this.
    -Phone: Received a phone call 1 day later. Very short notice but they need someone very quickly.
    -Group Interview: Interview was split in two. The first interview was the group interview, although some people had had their 1:1 interview before this, so we were all not waiting around after. The group interview consisted of 6 of us, sitting around a large table, and a white-board. We had 5 minutes to all read our sheets (they were all different), and select the worst issues past customers had dealt with. I found it best to go around, all say our 3 worst issues, and then all discuss as to which are the top 3. You have to speak up here and listen to others. I had members of the team literally reading out the whole question sheet and wasting some of our 20 minute discussion time. I claimed that Health and Safety always comes first, so that would have to be our number 1, no matter what. I assume that your options will be different though.
    -1:1 Interview. Was taken to a small room where I was asked 4 questions about myself, and 2 technical questions. I'll put these below.
    -Result- Due to the desperate need to hire a replacement very quickly, we only had to wait a day before being told the result. I got hired and was able to request two contracts (a week day one, and a weekend one).

-This website helped a lot- so take your time and note down all the questions that keep coming up! You'll have less of a surprise on the day!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for us?   View Answer
    • What could you bring to the role of this position?   View Answer
    • There were two that I can't remember, but they said something like 'discuss a time in which you changed a decision made for you'...   View Answer
    • What information would a customer need about a product?   View Answer
    • How would you ensure the quality of a product?   View Answer

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in February 2015.

Online application: filling in details. Online questions - 2 stages. 1st stage you choose what you would do in the situation.
    Second questionnaire stage took more time to fill out. What you would do in situations and you'd rank what you would most likely do to least. Each one could be an answer. You have to think logically about it: what satisfies the customer, what shows team work.
    Invited to group interview in store. Give you a task to do as a group. Its not about the task given but about showing you work as a team, everyone contributes. Next was 1-to-1 interviews with department manager. Will now be in contact by e-mail if I'm successful

Graduate Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose.

Went through the tests - situational judgment, verbal reasoning and numerical (designed specifically for them, not generic SHL or Kenexa which was nice).
    Shortly after invited to complete a video interview within 4 days. It lasted around 20-25 minutes, and they gave you around 1 minute to prepare and 2 minutes to answer.

Mainly competency based questions and a couple regarding Waitrose/JLP and its values etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you could have done better (or something along those lines).   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swiss Cottage Estate (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swiss Cottage Estate (Singapore)

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose in January 2015.

2nd stage Telephone interview: was basically Q/A re the application form which you get to fill in before the 3rd stage interview and Group Assessment; plus a couple of brief questions both really seemed to be testing if I could answer off the cuff, what I wrote in online replies to the essay Questions answered online e.g.. Why work for JLP and what is good customer service.

3rd stage Interview and Group Assessment: 1:1 interview 3 technical questions relating got the role of SA - e.g.. you may be responsible for organising the storage of a number of different types of foodstuffs - how would you go about this? Hope I would be trained how to properly do this - but I would say it's about being well-organised, sorting different types into groups re longevity on shelves etc - common sense
    And 3 questions re general work situations/problems/how deal with? e.g.. How have you dealt with a difficult situation where you didn't agree with a colleague/manager? attitude to difficult customers? why is time management important? All standard STAR type questions testing empathy, control, flexibility/adaptability, organisation, respect etc - link up to JLP values.

Group Assessment: less than 10 of us - and was a study on under performing store; we all got couple of pieces of information re performance; and had to draft a critical analysis and recommendations for how to resolve the problem areas and what resources would be needed. V little time - some of group had no idea of what to do, others ok, others good; we failed to complete task - just made sure I contributed and was positive, co-operative etc.

Offered the job 2 days later - was advised it could be up to 5.
    Very impressive process - handled very well, consistently by 1 member of Resourcing Team throughout email contact, telephone and face to face dealings.
    Now involved in online Background clearance checks which are standard but pretty rigorous - so beware if you are tempted to "tweak" your answers to online application form - you could come unstuck at final hurdle; it's not worth it - be honest.

JLP are a class above others. Thanks and Good Luck.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in December 2014.

I applied for a Christmas temp job in west Ealing. Within 1 week, they sent me an email explaining I had a group interview and that I could pick out of five different days and times that were available. I originally picked a Friday evening but due to a train delay and myself living an hour away, I was five minutes late and the girl working at the welcome desk told me to come back tomorrow as they had already started. To be honest, I thought she had sold me false hope so I decided to email the admin team and let them know of my situation. When I was on my way to the interview, I received an email back saying that the spaces were all full and they wouldn't Be able to see me. I was already half way there so I thought I should just go. When I got there, I did the group interview and they asked :
    Tell me a time when you had to challenge yourself?
    A time when you had to keep yourself motivated?
    What a levels do you do?
    What is your free time like?
    In the group assessment, we had to read a booklet, identify the 3 main problems in a store and as a group discus the problems and come up with solutions to the problems
    I did the interview on a Saturday and the next day in the evening, the manager called telling me that I got the job. I am going on Thursday for my induction

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you had to keep yourself motivated and how you did it?   View Answer
    My manager just explained I would be a troubleshooter and that I would be working mainly in the fresh produce checkout section.

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in December 2014.

i applied online 2 weeks before i was given an interview date. For the interview there was a 1 on 1 interview and a group interview after. The question asked were:
    why do you want to work for us?
    tell me about yourself?
    what do you think a customer needs to know about the product?
    A time when you given feedback and how you approached it?
    how do you ensure the quality of products are good? (i think)

Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose.

Online application form consisted of a number of questions followed by a sort of situational judgement test. Next stage was a good interview which was quite simple. The final interview was with your potential manager

Quick

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in November 2014.

Basically you apply for any open positions on line, then they call you for a group interview where 6 or so people have a task that they are given to discuss and find solutions to and then the final part is the solo interview which was just a chat with 4 or so pre-prepared questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you have raised an issue with a team leader.   View Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Richmond, London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in November 2014.

Applied online, application , multiple questions and judgemental questions and then submit application, if you fail multiple question you will not allow to do the next part,took about three weeks, email received for group inteview and it's says two hours

Business Architect Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in November 2014.

First step was an online application which was a bit time consuming. This was followed by a phone interview, then a face to face interview which included a presentation. After this came an online psychometric test and a second face to face interview. Both interviews were friendly but thorough. Second interview was fairly tough.

Interview Questions
    • Had to create a 15 min presentation on the day prior to first interview without knowing the topic beforehand. Topic was very relevant to the job however.   Answer Question