Waitrose

Updated Nov 27, 2014
Updated Nov 27, 2014

2.5

Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose.

Online application form consisted of a number of questions followed by a sort of situational judgement test. Next stage was a good interview which was quite simple. The final interview was with your potential manager

Quick

Other Interview Reviews for Waitrose

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in October 2014.

Following an online application, I had to complete an online assessment and was then invited to a group assessment/interview. This started with a group session where all applicants (six if I remember correctly) had to sit around a table as if you were about to have a work meeting.

We were given supposed mystery shopper feedback to read – each applicant a different aspect (stock control, customer service, etc) – after which each had to take terms telling what, in their bit of info, they thought to be the most important that needed addressing and then as a group you had to discuss what improvements needed to be made.

The next phase was filling out forms with practical information like shift availability, sizes (for uniform) and then each applicant was asked in for an individual interview – this was supposed to be 5 minutes per person but turned out 10 minutes per person or more, so resulted in considerable waiting time & for the entire process to take longer than announced in the confirmation prior to interview.

It was explained that there were several more of these group assessment sessions, from which they'd select a number of people for second interview, and if after that they'd have too many candidates left they'd add another round of interviews. So they were seeing about 50-60 people to fill three part-time vacancies.

They didn't make clear what exactly they would be looking for, not even when I specifically asked in my 1-to-1. "We don't know it till we see it, really.."

3-4 weeks after this session and interview I received a rejection by email.

Interview Questions
    • Group discussion about mystery shopper feedback   View Answer

Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose.

Laid back. Ice breaker first. 5 min prep time for 3 q's [ours: fave food/meal and why, why hire you, plan for next 6month-1yr] then present, 15 min prep time in groups to sell product then present, any q's

Interview Questions
    • None really. Just confused about what we were supposed to demonstrate about ourselves with q fave food/meal   Answer Question

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in March 2014.

Applied online and was contacted a week or so later and invited to a group interview the week after.

Group interview although daunting as the first I had done, was very easy.

To start was an introduction as to what would happen in the next few hours and then we were given a few minutes to chat to the person next to us and find out what famous person they would invite to tea and why, once this was done we had to present our findings.

We were then given a sheet with a few questions on which we were given 5 minutes to complete and then had to present it again. Questions are pretty easy and you just have to use common sense to answer them. One of my group answered one question very badly. She very proudly announced that she had been accepted into a cabin crew placement next year so just wanted a job to last her till then. Really not what they want to hear!

Then split up into groups and were given a stack of statements and had to pick out what we thought were the three most important. You'll notice that there are a few that compliment a bigger statement. This makes it easier to whittle the list down. Then as a group we had to present which statements we'd picked and why.

We could then sit back and relax whilst the interviewers explained a lot about how Waitrose works and the many many benefits there are to work there, all of which are very impressive.

We were then individually taken though for a 1on1 with one of the interviewers. All questions were fairly easy if you were prepared. With questions more about your past experience and how it would help with the job you've applied for. Remember that Waitrose is a very customer focused company so try to expand on any customer service experience you have.

The following day I received a call asking me to come back for a second interview a few days later.

Attended the second interview which was with the personnel manager I met at group stage and specific section manager for the job you applied for. Quite informal and relaxed. A few questions relating to customer service experience and what you think your daily routine would be. If you have previous experience you will be expected to know about this and tailor your answers to the specific section.

I was then given a tour of the store by the section manager focused on the section you'll be working in and introduced to many of the partners who were working at the time. Which involved a good chat about how things worked and a few other questions, notably if there was anything I wasn't looking forward to. Was then told that I'd hear by the end of the week if I had the position (this was on a Monday).

Was emailed the following day informing me that I'd got the job!

Started working the following week and loving it so far!

If I had any advice for people going to interview, it would be to be relaxed, friendly, honest and smile! Have a chat with other interviewees when you can as this will show you are friendly and also has the added benefit of relaxing and distracting you from nerves.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected questions were related to my previous management experience and how I'd react to specific scenarios. I don't think these were normal questions, I think they were sizing me up for potential future promotions...   Answer Question

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingsthorpe, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Kingsthorpe, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Waitrose in September 2013.

Initial communication was very good, the online recruitment system is fantastic. Once at the interview, we were all made to feel comfortable, offered water and had a chance to network with the other candidates. After that, we introduced ourselves and answered a few questions on why we want to work for the brand, what our favourite meal is & why.

Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in August 2008.

I filled in the application for my first part time job, sent it off and had a phone call about a week or so later asking me to come in for a group interview at a recruitment agency (it was for a brand new store so wasn't finished yet would normally be held instore). Went to the group interview from what I can remember there were about 10 other people, we had to do a short introduction of ourselves, what we did, and what was our greatest achievement. We then had to split up into pairs and try and do a sales pitch for a product. I got called back for a one on one interview which was just to discuss what area of the shop I might want to work, and what kind of hours I could work etc. I got the job and worked within two different Waitrose stores over a 4 year period. All I would say is to speak up and stand out as with any interview if you don't make an impression you wont be noticed.

Interview Questions
    One bit of advice I would give is to make sure that you are 100% happy with the hours that you have been given as you will find it very difficult to alter hours once you have started. If you aren't happy with the hours/days you have been given negotiate a change when the offer has been made.