Waitrose

Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.7

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Waitrose Sales Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waitrose.

I applied online, the process takes a reasonably long time but it was relatively straightforward. I heard back in a matter of weeks and organised the date for my group assessment. It was in the evening, I got to the store and was told it had been cancelled! I was disappointed as nobody had thought to let us know, and I had to make way home again with no promise of a reschedule. Again, in a matter of weeks I had an email with an apology for the cancelled interview, and rescheduled my group interview for that upcoming weekend. The interview itself was great, quite laidback and friendly, with about 7 other young people. We had to outline the improvements we would make to a store based on a 'Secret Shopper' review, and then we had 1-1 interviews about ourselves, when we could start etc. I left feeling so positive about the job! We were told we would hear back soon, but if it reached 2 weeks and we had recieved no news, we should chase up the position with a phonecall, which I eventually did end up doing. Apparently the applications were with Human Resources, and should hear back in the following week. Well.... that was about 3 weeks ago and I have still heard absolutely nothing. I have just assumed that I should not expect to hear anything, so incredibly disappointed and confused considering the John Lewis Partnership's great reputation as an employer.

Interview Questions
    • I think there was a question about overcoming difficulties as part of a team?   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in November 2014.

Basically you apply for any open positions on line, then they call you for a group interview where 6 or so people have a task that they are given to discuss and find solutions to and then the final part is the solo interview which was just a chat with 4 or so pre-prepared questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you have raised an issue with a team leader.   View Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in November 2014.

Applied online, application , multiple questions and judgemental questions and then submit application, if you fail multiple question you will not allow to do the next part,took about three weeks, email received for group inteview and it's says two hours

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in October 2014.

I applied online, completing both tests and then a week or so later, I received an e-mail with the date an time for an interview. The interview process consisted of a group interview and a 1-to-1 interview.
    There was around 5 of us in the group interview and we were all around the same age, either one year younger or older. We were given reports on people comments on different areas on the store, we had 5 minutes to read this then we had to give feedback to the group on what the problems were and we had to pick the top 3 issues, say why we had chosen them and what we can do in order to improve the service of the store. You have to make a report to hand in at the end of the group interview session.

For the 1-to-1 session I was asked 5 question that roughly asked:

Why do you want to work for wait rose?
    Tell me about yourself/hobbies/interests?
    How do you test the quality of a product?
    What information do you think a customer should know about a product?
    Give me an example of when you had to give somebody feedback / challenge someone's idea

The woman interviewing me let me know that there was another group to be interviewed the following week so therefore she would get back to me at the end of the week which she did.

Interview Questions
    • How do you check the quality of a product?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in October 2014.

Altogether the process took a month.
    After completing a very long and detailed application, I then took two judgment tests online and shortly after, received a few duplicated emails stating my all,i cation had been received and was being reviewed.
    A week later I recieved an email informing me that I was successful and had been invited for a group interview two weeks later.
    On arrival, I reported to the welcome desk and was taken to the cafeteria area where three other interviewees were waiting. I ended up talking to one of the women for a while which was very comforting as this was my first interview, and it was assuring to know the others were nice and friendly!
    When were introduced to the Floor Manager and the Coordination Manager who explained how the process would work and then took us one by one for individual interviews.
    In the interview I was asked a few personal questions first; Tell us about yourself? How do you think the job will be beneficial to you? Tell us about a time you had to change a decision made for you, how did you do it, were you successful?
    These questions you base on your own personal experience or judgment.
    Then the questions towards the end were technical such as; How do you ensure the high quality of products are maintained in store? Hours you can work? (Then asked to present passport to be photocopied)
    This part of the interview you have to just be yourself, not be nervous and ask any questions you may have.
    After this we were all called for the group interview in the training room again. We were given a leaflet to read in five minutes, each with a different issue and explaining what we would have to do (like a GCSE exam). Then we had twenty minutes to come up with an action plan and pick out top three issues, why they were important, what the consequences of them could be, how we can resolve it and what we can do to ensure it doesn't happen again. In this part of the interview it is vital that you communicate with all of your group, ask for opinions, offer your own ideas and agree with others or converse with them in a good team work manner. The interviewer will sit in the corner and observe while writing notes on your performance as a team and individual.
    After this we were dismissed and told they would let us know if we did or didn't get the job in a week or so.
    Two days later I received a call from the Coordination Manager giving me a verbal offer and negotiating hours and that I will receive a confirmation email later in the week.
    I then received emails telling me how to log into the PartnerLink Portal to add all my details (bank, emergency, communication preference) and was given a date to start the next week!

All in all, they want you to be yourself! Be honest, polite and enthusiastic and they are very friendly and nice! (Even had a bit of banter going at some points!)

Hope this helps! :)

Interview Questions
    • How can you ensure the high quality of products is maintained in store?   View Answer
    I had to negotiate hours as I am volunteering with something else before I applied. They seemed happy to negotiate and came to a reasonable agreement. Always explain if you can't do certain hours and offer all other time you have enthusiastically.

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in October 2014.

Following an online application, I had to complete an online assessment and was then invited to a group assessment/interview. This started with a group session where all applicants (six if I remember correctly) had to sit around a table as if you were about to have a work meeting.

We were given supposed mystery shopper feedback to read – each applicant a different aspect (stock control, customer service, etc) – after which each had to take terms telling what, in their bit of info, they thought to be the most important that needed addressing and then as a group you had to discuss what improvements needed to be made.

The next phase was filling out forms with practical information like shift availability, sizes (for uniform) and then each applicant was asked in for an individual interview – this was supposed to be 5 minutes per person but turned out 10 minutes per person or more, so resulted in considerable waiting time & for the entire process to take longer than announced in the confirmation prior to interview.

It was explained that there were several more of these group assessment sessions, from which they'd select a number of people for second interview, and if after that they'd have too many candidates left they'd add another round of interviews. So they were seeing about 50-60 people to fill three part-time vacancies.

They didn't make clear what exactly they would be looking for, not even when I specifically asked in my 1-to-1. "We don't know it till we see it, really.."

3-4 weeks after this session and interview I received a rejection by email.

Interview Questions
    • Group discussion about mystery shopper feedback   View Answer

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in September 2014.

Applied online and answered a range of multiple choice questions based on your judgement about different and possible situations that could occur or have previously dealt with. I received an email to confirm I had passed and I was invited to attend an interview.

The interview was an individual and group interview. The group interview consisted of 9 people including myself. We were given a task to create an action plan and summarise our individual case studies and information we were given about that particular issue. We were observed by 2 interviewers . After the group interview, we were interviewed individually. The questions asked were:

1) Why Waitrose?
    2) Tell me about yourself?
    3) When have you had to change a decision made by someone else? What did you do? Were you successful?
    4) How do you ensure that there are only high quality goods sold in store?

I don't remember the remaining questions but it was related to customer service and previous decisions made which were difficult or persuading others.

I was contacted a week later by the recruiting team through email to say I passed the interview and then I was given a call offering me a temporary to permanent vacancy.

Interview Questions
    • How do you ensure that there are only high quality goods sold in store?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was happy with the hours offered. Waitrose give you a form to fill in the hours of availability including training after the interview.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose in September 2014.

Applied online and got offered a group interview, I ended being the only person that turned up... I was asked the usual interview questions mainly based around my past experience e.g. tell me about a time when you have had to give constructive criticism.
    I then had 20 mins to read a secret shopper report and write my 'action plan' on a flip chart such as the improvements I would make etc, at the end of the 20 mins I had to present it to the interviewer!

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you have had to give constructive criticism.   Answer Question

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose in August 2014.

On line, tricky scenario questions, then one to one interview, questions included Why Waitrose, experience of customer service, where do you see yourself in 5 years. I was expecting a group interview but was pleasantly surprised. Mind you I had been called for an interview and was away so maybe that was why. Do mug up on Waitrose and the JLP.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in June 2014.

Applied online and process took about 6 weeks.
    After applying online i was contacted to arrange an interveiw which took place on the friday; same week. Interveiw was not hard although when they ask questions that youll need to show examples of when youve solved a problem etc try not to onpy base it around work.
    Around 4 weeks after they contacted me telling me that i did not get through to the next stage and they advised me to apply somewhere relitavely closer (store was 2 hours away from where i lived). So i guess it was understandable as to why i didnt get the job

Interview Questions
    • When have you found yourself in a difficult situation and how did you try to resolve it?   Answer Question