Waitrose Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Apr 23, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)).

Interview

There were 3 interviews: Group interview, individual interview and then a phone interview. You get asked a lot of scenario questions around customer service and why you want to work there (reputation etc),

Interview Questions

• What product would you suggest with this item?   Answer Question
    • What do you do if you don't know the answer to a customer's question?   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

was difficult at times, a lot of questions to see if you get along with others. do not be the quiet one. do not be the loud one. be the right one. :) x x x x x

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

Group interview, asked to present yourself to the group and the interviewer. Had to take part in team building activities and present a product in pairs to the rest of the group.

Interview Questions

• What do you wish to gain from your time working with us?   1 Answer

Store Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Waitrose in February 2015.

Interview

-Online: Filled in application form. Took a while, especially including the online tests. I've heard other people on here complaining how difficult they were. I have to say, compared to other companies online, Waitrose's online tests were quite easy. There aren't exactly a right or wrong answer on one- it mainly tests your way of thinking. I think there were 2 tests overall. I submitted the application after this.
    -Phone: Received a phone call 1 day later. Very short notice but they need someone very quickly.
    -Group Interview: Interview was split in two. The first interview was the group interview, although some people had had their 1:1 interview before this, so we were all not waiting around after. The group interview consisted of 6 of us, sitting around a large table, and a white-board. We had 5 minutes to all read our sheets (they were all different), and select the worst issues past customers had dealt with. I found it best to go around, all say our 3 worst issues, and then all discuss as to which are the top 3. You have to speak up here and listen to others. I had members of the team literally reading out the whole question sheet and wasting some of our 20 minute discussion time. I claimed that Health and Safety always comes first, so that would have to be our number 1, no matter what. I assume that your options will be different though.
    -1:1 Interview. Was taken to a small room where I was asked 4 questions about myself, and 2 technical questions. I'll put these below.
    -Result- Due to the desperate need to hire a replacement very quickly, we only had to wait a day before being told the result. I got hired and was able to request two contracts (a week day one, and a weekend one).

-This website helped a lot- so take your time and note down all the questions that keep coming up! You'll have less of a surprise on the day!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   1 Answer
    • What could you bring to the role of this position?   1 Answer
    • There were two that I can't remember, but they said something like 'discuss a time in which you changed a decision made for you'...   1 Answer
    • What information would a customer need about a product?   1 Answer
    • How would you ensure the quality of a product?   1 Answer

Shop Floor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Online application: filling in details. Online questions - 2 stages. 1st stage you choose what you would do in the situation.
    Second questionnaire stage took more time to fill out. What you would do in situations and you'd rank what you would most likely do to least. Each one could be an answer. You have to think logically about it: what satisfies the customer, what shows team work.
    Invited to group interview in store. Give you a task to do as a group. Its not about the task given but about showing you work as a team, everyone contributes. Next was 1-to-1 interviews with department manager. Will now be in contact by e-mail if I'm successful

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in February 2015.

Interview

I filled out the brief online application form, took two multiple-choice situational judgement tests, then completed the lengthier questions. A week later I received a call letting me know that I was being invited to the store for an interview, which took place a few days later. I thought I may have to do a group interview, but it was just a 1-to-1 one. I can't remember exactly what I was asked, but it was something like "tell me about yourself", "tell me about a time when you either gave, or were given, feedback on something", "have you ever had to question a manager's authority?" and "why do you want to work for Waitrose?". There were then a couple of questions about how I would ensure the quality of stock and what a customer may want to know about a product. I was then given 20 minutes to read through 3 sheets of fictional in-store scenarios, pick out the three most serious/problematic ones, and then write a brief 'report' on why I chose the examples and what action plan I'd implement to solve the problems (easier than it sounds).

I was told that someone would call me the following day to let me know if I had been successful, but no one called. Fortunately, I did get a call four days later and was offered the job, and a week later I received an email with the offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• What information would a customer need about a product?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Well the whole process took around two month. I applied online and answered a lot of questions after some few days i received an email to invite me for group assessment interview.

Interview Questions

• 1.Tell me about yourself 2.Why do you want to work with us 3.How do you ensure quality of a product   Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

Went through the tests - situational judgment, verbal reasoning and numerical (designed specifically for them, not generic SHL or Kenexa which was nice).
    Shortly after invited to complete a video interview within 4 days. It lasted around 20-25 minutes, and they gave you around 1 minute to prepare and 2 minutes to answer.

Mainly competency based questions and a couple regarding Waitrose/JLP and its values etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you could have done better (or something along those lines).   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for a Christmas temp job in west Ealing. Within 1 week, they sent me an email explaining I had a group interview and that I could pick out of five different days and times that were available. I originally picked a Friday evening but due to a train delay and myself living an hour away, I was five minutes late and the girl working at the welcome desk told me to come back tomorrow as they had already started. To be honest, I thought she had sold me false hope so I decided to email the admin team and let them know of my situation. When I was on my way to the interview, I received an email back saying that the spaces were all full and they wouldn't Be able to see me. I was already half way there so I thought I should just go. When I got there, I did the group interview and they asked :
    Tell me a time when you had to challenge yourself?
    A time when you had to keep yourself motivated?
    What a levels do you do?
    What is your free time like?
    In the group assessment, we had to read a booklet, identify the 3 main problems in a store and as a group discus the problems and come up with solutions to the problems
    I did the interview on a Saturday and the next day in the evening, the manager called telling me that I got the job. I am going on Thursday for my induction

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you had to keep yourself motivated and how you did it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

My manager just explained I would be a troubleshooter and that I would be working mainly in the fresh produce checkout section.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

i applied online 2 weeks before i was given an interview date. For the interview there was a 1 on 1 interview and a group interview after. The question asked were:
    why do you want to work for us?
    tell me about yourself?
    what do you think a customer needs to know about the product?
    A time when you given feedback and how you approached it?
    how do you ensure the quality of products are good? (i think)