Waitrose Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.7

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Waitrose in September 2014.

Applied online and got offered a group interview, I ended being the only person that turned up... I was asked the usual interview questions mainly based around my past experience e.g. tell me about a time when you have had to give constructive criticism.
    I then had 20 mins to read a secret shopper report and write my 'action plan' on a flip chart such as the improvements I would make etc, at the end of the 20 mins I had to present it to the interviewer!

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you have had to give constructive criticism.   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Waitrose in September 2014.

Applied online and answered a range of multiple choice questions based on your judgement about different and possible situations that could occur or have previously dealt with. I received an email to confirm I had passed and I was invited to attend an interview.

The interview was an individual and group interview. The group interview consisted of 9 people including myself. We were given a task to create an action plan and summarise our individual case studies and information we were given about that particular issue. We were observed by 2 interviewers . After the group interview, we were interviewed individually. The questions asked were:

1) Why Waitrose?
    2) Tell me about yourself?
    3) When have you had to change a decision made by someone else? What did you do? Were you successful?
    4) How do you ensure that there are only high quality goods sold in store?

I don't remember the remaining questions but it was related to customer service and previous decisions made which were difficult or persuading others.

I was contacted a week later by the recruiting team through email to say I passed the interview and then I was given a call offering me a temporary to permanent vacancy.

Interview Questions
    • How do you ensure that there are only high quality goods sold in store?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was happy with the hours offered. Waitrose give you a form to fill in the hours of availability including training after the interview.

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Waitrose in August 2014.

On line, tricky scenario questions, then one to one interview, questions included Why Waitrose, experience of customer service, where do you see yourself in 5 years. I was expecting a group interview but was pleasantly surprised. Mind you I had been called for an interview and was away so maybe that was why. Do mug up on Waitrose and the JLP.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newton Mearns, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton Mearns, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Waitrose in July 2013.

I applied through their website and it was a series of easy questions and answers .I was contacted by automated emailing system inviting me to group interview. It was THE WORST INTERVIEW EVER! I wholeheartedly was completely put off of this company because of how the interviewing was conducted. Groups interviews are so unfair and biased. We had to write down 5 answers on paper, why we wanted to work here, what we could offer, our favourite meal, our ambitions, where we seen ourselves in 5 years time. The snobby woman beside me who harped on about her speciality butterflied chicken and herby potatoes and so on obviously swing it as I just mentioned spag bols I cooked for my family. This went on for ages in a tiny little office with no air con and 15 of us crammed in, no window open in the height of summer. NO water, no comfort break despite this halfwitted interviewing technique lasting almost 2 hours. The next thing, we are split into groups of 4 and have to make a tower out of newspaper and sellotape, testing who is bossy and who is shy. etc. After getting black and all dye off the newspaper one of the managers did allow us some wet wipes. THEN we had to go in groups of two halves of the room and one had to scribe, the others had to shout out what made a great sales assistant. We then had to have one of us read them all off and all of us had to contribute points. THEN we had to play act products in a basket, how we would sell them and we tried to be pushy customers and aggravate one another. Some school leaver lads were supposed to try and sell washing powder and had not a clue what to say just this cleans clothes. It was so embarrassing and pointless. Then after this rubbish, we all sat in silence as one by one we got a quick one to one interview with the line manager and she let us go then all at the one time, leading us down a lot of stairs and no facility for disabled and we didnt get a drink or even shown where the bathrooms were . It was a farce and not a company I would have liked to work for after the mental and physical tasks exhausted me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what your ambition is   View Answer
    • Best food you make ( oh cos apparently, all waitrose shoppers are connoisseurs ie snobby people who only want the best)   View Answer

Waitrose Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Waitrose in April 2014.

Process:

Filled out the application online and then completed the tool test. Got an email saying I was successful and invited me to a group interview.

Group Interview:

We all one by one said our names and then we had to stand in a line. Our task was to get in order who took the quickest to the longest time to get to the interview without talking to eachother. Then the personal manager gave us an induction to what the company is about. She then explained what questions she will like us to answer in front of the group (no time restriction). The questions were: Tell me about yourself? Why Waitrose? What is your favourite meal? If you had to come as fancy dress, who will you be? We then got split into 2 groups and had to work as a team to come up with a food menu for a party in central London in 10 minutes and a name for our business. Make sure you allow others to input their ideas and if anyone is quiet, ask them what they think. Keep an eye on the time and do not dominate too much. Also make sure everyone presents to the group and is able to talk about the menu you have come up with. Most importantly just be you. At the end of the group interview we filled out a form, which was about our: measurements, availability hours to work, availability hours for training etc. The interview took 1 hour and a half.

I then got an email 3 days later saying I was successful and now waiting for another email with more detailed information.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions but make sure you have knowledge about food.   Answer Question

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waitrose in March 2014.

Applied online and was contacted a week or so later and invited to a group interview the week after.

Group interview although daunting as the first I had done, was very easy.

To start was an introduction as to what would happen in the next few hours and then we were given a few minutes to chat to the person next to us and find out what famous person they would invite to tea and why, once this was done we had to present our findings.

We were then given a sheet with a few questions on which we were given 5 minutes to complete and then had to present it again. Questions are pretty easy and you just have to use common sense to answer them. One of my group answered one question very badly. She very proudly announced that she had been accepted into a cabin crew placement next year so just wanted a job to last her till then. Really not what they want to hear!

Then split up into groups and were given a stack of statements and had to pick out what we thought were the three most important. You'll notice that there are a few that compliment a bigger statement. This makes it easier to whittle the list down. Then as a group we had to present which statements we'd picked and why.

We could then sit back and relax whilst the interviewers explained a lot about how Waitrose works and the many many benefits there are to work there, all of which are very impressive.

We were then individually taken though for a 1on1 with one of the interviewers. All questions were fairly easy if you were prepared. With questions more about your past experience and how it would help with the job you've applied for. Remember that Waitrose is a very customer focused company so try to expand on any customer service experience you have.

The following day I received a call asking me to come back for a second interview a few days later.

Attended the second interview which was with the personnel manager I met at group stage and specific section manager for the job you applied for. Quite informal and relaxed. A few questions relating to customer service experience and what you think your daily routine would be. If you have previous experience you will be expected to know about this and tailor your answers to the specific section.

I was then given a tour of the store by the section manager focused on the section you'll be working in and introduced to many of the partners who were working at the time. Which involved a good chat about how things worked and a few other questions, notably if there was anything I wasn't looking forward to. Was then told that I'd hear by the end of the week if I had the position (this was on a Monday).

Was emailed the following day informing me that I'd got the job!

Started working the following week and loving it so far!

If I had any advice for people going to interview, it would be to be relaxed, friendly, honest and smile! Have a chat with other interviewees when you can as this will show you are friendly and also has the added benefit of relaxing and distracting you from nerves.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected questions were related to my previous management experience and how I'd react to specific scenarios. I don't think these were normal questions, I think they were sizing me up for potential future promotions...   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sheffield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waitrose in May 2010.

Had a phone call inviting me to a group interview. The group interview consisted of about 12 people - we sat in a circle and took it in turns to answer questions of things that we have overcome, what we can bring to the company etc. Then after the interview I was phoned up and told I had a job - the second 1-1 interview was very informal and was basically just filling in forms

Interview Questions
    • We had to choose a product, then as a group we had to 'sell it' by acting out an advert   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation - I was given my shifts and I wasn't even told how much I would earn until I started

Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kingsthorpe, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingsthorpe, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Waitrose in September 2013.

Initial communication was very good, the online recruitment system is fantastic. Once at the interview, we were all made to feel comfortable, offered water and had a chance to network with the other candidates. After that, we introduced ourselves and answered a few questions on why we want to work for the brand, what our favourite meal is & why.

Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Waitrose.

Laid back. Ice breaker first. 5 min prep time for 3 q's [ours: fave food/meal and why, why hire you, plan for next 6month-1yr] then present, 15 min prep time in groups to sell product then present, any q's

Interview Questions
    • None really. Just confused about what we were supposed to demonstrate about ourselves with q fave food/meal   Answer Question

Shop Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waitrose in August 2010.

Sent off CV, got call went in for interview. Be polite and charming and you'll get the job.

Interview Questions
    • No surprises here. It is only a part-time supermarket job after all.   Answer Question

Worked for Waitrose? Contribute to the Community!