Waitrose

Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.8

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in December 2014.

i applied online 2 weeks before i was given an interview date. For the interview there was a 1 on 1 interview and a group interview after. The question asked were:
why do you want to work for us?
tell me about yourself?
what do you think a customer needs to know about the product?
A time when you given feedback and how you approached it?
how do you ensure the quality of products are good? (i think)

Other Interview Reviews for Waitrose

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in November 2014.

Basically you apply for any open positions on line, then they call you for a group interview where 6 or so people have a task that they are given to discuss and find solutions to and then the final part is the solo interview which was just a chat with 4 or so pre-prepared questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you have raised an issue with a team leader.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in October 2014.

I applied online, completing both tests and then a week or so later, I received an e-mail with the date an time for an interview. The interview process consisted of a group interview and a 1-to-1 interview.
    There was around 5 of us in the group interview and we were all around the same age, either one year younger or older. We were given reports on people comments on different areas on the store, we had 5 minutes to read this then we had to give feedback to the group on what the problems were and we had to pick the top 3 issues, say why we had chosen them and what we can do in order to improve the service of the store. You have to make a report to hand in at the end of the group interview session.

For the 1-to-1 session I was asked 5 question that roughly asked:

Why do you want to work for wait rose?
    Tell me about yourself/hobbies/interests?
    How do you test the quality of a product?
    What information do you think a customer should know about a product?
    Give me an example of when you had to give somebody feedback / challenge someone's idea

The woman interviewing me let me know that there was another group to be interviewed the following week so therefore she would get back to me at the end of the week which she did.

Interview Questions
    • How do you check the quality of a product?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in October 2014.

Altogether the process took a month.
    After completing a very long and detailed application, I then took two judgment tests online and shortly after, received a few duplicated emails stating my all,i cation had been received and was being reviewed.
    A week later I recieved an email informing me that I was successful and had been invited for a group interview two weeks later.
    On arrival, I reported to the welcome desk and was taken to the cafeteria area where three other interviewees were waiting. I ended up talking to one of the women for a while which was very comforting as this was my first interview, and it was assuring to know the others were nice and friendly!
    When were introduced to the Floor Manager and the Coordination Manager who explained how the process would work and then took us one by one for individual interviews.
    In the interview I was asked a few personal questions first; Tell us about yourself? How do you think the job will be beneficial to you? Tell us about a time you had to change a decision made for you, how did you do it, were you successful?
    These questions you base on your own personal experience or judgment.
    Then the questions towards the end were technical such as; How do you ensure the high quality of products are maintained in store? Hours you can work? (Then asked to present passport to be photocopied)
    This part of the interview you have to just be yourself, not be nervous and ask any questions you may have.
    After this we were all called for the group interview in the training room again. We were given a leaflet to read in five minutes, each with a different issue and explaining what we would have to do (like a GCSE exam). Then we had twenty minutes to come up with an action plan and pick out top three issues, why they were important, what the consequences of them could be, how we can resolve it and what we can do to ensure it doesn't happen again. In this part of the interview it is vital that you communicate with all of your group, ask for opinions, offer your own ideas and agree with others or converse with them in a good team work manner. The interviewer will sit in the corner and observe while writing notes on your performance as a team and individual.
    After this we were dismissed and told they would let us know if we did or didn't get the job in a week or so.
    Two days later I received a call from the Coordination Manager giving me a verbal offer and negotiating hours and that I will receive a confirmation email later in the week.
    I then received emails telling me how to log into the PartnerLink Portal to add all my details (bank, emergency, communication preference) and was given a date to start the next week!

All in all, they want you to be yourself! Be honest, polite and enthusiastic and they are very friendly and nice! (Even had a bit of banter going at some points!)

Hope this helps! :)

Interview Questions
    • How can you ensure the high quality of products is maintained in store?   View Answer
    I had to negotiate hours as I am volunteering with something else before I applied. They seemed happy to negotiate and came to a reasonable agreement. Always explain if you can't do certain hours and offer all other time you have enthusiastically.

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in September 2014.

Applied online and answered a range of multiple choice questions based on your judgement about different and possible situations that could occur or have previously dealt with. I received an email to confirm I had passed and I was invited to attend an interview.

The interview was an individual and group interview. The group interview consisted of 9 people including myself. We were given a task to create an action plan and summarise our individual case studies and information we were given about that particular issue. We were observed by 2 interviewers . After the group interview, we were interviewed individually. The questions asked were:

1) Why Waitrose?
    2) Tell me about yourself?
    3) When have you had to change a decision made by someone else? What did you do? Were you successful?
    4) How do you ensure that there are only high quality goods sold in store?

I don't remember the remaining questions but it was related to customer service and previous decisions made which were difficult or persuading others.

I was contacted a week later by the recruiting team through email to say I passed the interview and then I was given a call offering me a temporary to permanent vacancy.

Interview Questions
    • How do you ensure that there are only high quality goods sold in store?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was happy with the hours offered. Waitrose give you a form to fill in the hours of availability including training after the interview.

- Online Application Form
    - Telephone Interview
    - Face to face interview
    - Shop floor interview

Interview Questions
    • - What would the first thing you do if a customer had a complaint.   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Waitrose in February 2013.

Was in a group asked us questions like What is your favourite meal, why do you want to work for waitrose, and what do you do then had to build a tower out of paper.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favourite meal, why do you want to work for waitrose   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose.

application process - make sure you use the correct grammar and punctuation.

group interview - being friendly and confident is paramount.

one on one interview - act the same way as you did in the group interview, don't try to act all serious. Have a smile on your face and use their first name, not their surname.

Interview Questions
    • Here are (dried apples in this instance, could be anything). Come up with ways in which you would sell them to a customer.   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northwood, London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northwood, London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in August 2012.

First was the application process, where you had to answer a number of questions. After that, if you were successful, you would be invited to a group assessment and/or one-to-one interview with between 4 to 12 people. I had 2 others with me in my group, so it depends what the job was for.

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in May 2010.

Had a phone call inviting me to a group interview. The group interview consisted of about 12 people - we sat in a circle and took it in turns to answer questions of things that we have overcome, what we can bring to the company etc. Then after the interview I was phoned up and told I had a job - the second 1-1 interview was very informal and was basically just filling in forms

Interview Questions
    • We had to choose a product, then as a group we had to 'sell it' by acting out an advert   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation - I was given my shifts and I wasn't even told how much I would earn until I started