Waitrose Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

2.8

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

After successfully applying online I was offered an interview. Upon arriving at the center, I was asked to wait in a room with other candidates and fill out a form. The one on one interview was first and my interviewer was kind and made me feel relaxed. The group interview was slightly more difficult but still not terrible. I was in a group of about five people and we were given a scenario based task. A few days later I was phoned and they told me they really liked me and the interview went well, however the hours I can work did not match what was available so I am now currently on hold.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you have had to be flexible.
    Explain a time where you had to be independent.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Waitrose

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)).

Interview

There were 3 interviews: Group interview, individual interview and then a phone interview. You get asked a lot of scenario questions around customer service and why you want to work there (reputation etc),

Interview Questions

• What product would you suggest with this item?   Answer Question
    • What do you do if you don't know the answer to a customer's question?   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

was difficult at times, a lot of questions to see if you get along with others. do not be the quiet one. do not be the loud one. be the right one. :) x x x x x

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Well the whole process took around two month. I applied online and answered a lot of questions after some few days i received an email to invite me for group assessment interview.

Interview Questions

• 1.Tell me about yourself 2.Why do you want to work with us 3.How do you ensure quality of a product   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swiss Cottage Estate (Singapore)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waitrose (Swiss Cottage Estate (Singapore)) in January 2015.

Interview

2nd stage Telephone interview: was basically Q/A re the application form which you get to fill in before the 3rd stage interview and Group Assessment; plus a couple of brief questions both really seemed to be testing if I could answer off the cuff, what I wrote in online replies to the essay Questions answered online e.g.. Why work for JLP and what is good customer service.

3rd stage Interview and Group Assessment: 1:1 interview 3 technical questions relating got the role of SA - e.g.. you may be responsible for organising the storage of a number of different types of foodstuffs - how would you go about this? Hope I would be trained how to properly do this - but I would say it's about being well-organised, sorting different types into groups re longevity on shelves etc - common sense
    And 3 questions re general work situations/problems/how deal with? e.g.. How have you dealt with a difficult situation where you didn't agree with a colleague/manager? attitude to difficult customers? why is time management important? All standard STAR type questions testing empathy, control, flexibility/adaptability, organisation, respect etc - link up to JLP values.

Group Assessment: less than 10 of us - and was a study on under performing store; we all got couple of pieces of information re performance; and had to draft a critical analysis and recommendations for how to resolve the problem areas and what resources would be needed. V little time - some of group had no idea of what to do, others ok, others good; we failed to complete task - just made sure I contributed and was positive, co-operative etc.

Offered the job 2 days later - was advised it could be up to 5.
    Very impressive process - handled very well, consistently by 1 member of Resourcing Team throughout email contact, telephone and face to face dealings.
    Now involved in online Background clearance checks which are standard but pretty rigorous - so beware if you are tempted to "tweak" your answers to online application form - you could come unstuck at final hurdle; it's not worth it - be honest.

JLP are a class above others. Thanks and Good Luck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

i applied online 2 weeks before i was given an interview date. For the interview there was a 1 on 1 interview and a group interview after. The question asked were:
    why do you want to work for us?
    tell me about yourself?
    what do you think a customer needs to know about the product?
    A time when you given feedback and how you approached it?
    how do you ensure the quality of products are good? (i think)

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in November 2014.

Interview

Basically you apply for any open positions on line, then they call you for a group interview where 6 or so people have a task that they are given to discuss and find solutions to and then the final part is the solo interview which was just a chat with 4 or so pre-prepared questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you have raised an issue with a team leader.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online, completing both tests and then a week or so later, I received an e-mail with the date an time for an interview. The interview process consisted of a group interview and a 1-to-1 interview.
    There was around 5 of us in the group interview and we were all around the same age, either one year younger or older. We were given reports on people comments on different areas on the store, we had 5 minutes to read this then we had to give feedback to the group on what the problems were and we had to pick the top 3 issues, say why we had chosen them and what we can do in order to improve the service of the store. You have to make a report to hand in at the end of the group interview session.

For the 1-to-1 session I was asked 5 question that roughly asked:

Why do you want to work for wait rose?
    Tell me about yourself/hobbies/interests?
    How do you test the quality of a product?
    What information do you think a customer should know about a product?
    Give me an example of when you had to give somebody feedback / challenge someone's idea

The woman interviewing me let me know that there was another group to be interviewed the following week so therefore she would get back to me at the end of the week which she did.

Interview Questions

• How do you check the quality of a product?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Altogether the process took a month.
    After completing a very long and detailed application, I then took two judgment tests online and shortly after, received a few duplicated emails stating my all,i cation had been received and was being reviewed.
    A week later I recieved an email informing me that I was successful and had been invited for a group interview two weeks later.
    On arrival, I reported to the welcome desk and was taken to the cafeteria area where three other interviewees were waiting. I ended up talking to one of the women for a while which was very comforting as this was my first interview, and it was assuring to know the others were nice and friendly!
    When were introduced to the Floor Manager and the Coordination Manager who explained how the process would work and then took us one by one for individual interviews.
    In the interview I was asked a few personal questions first; Tell us about yourself? How do you think the job will be beneficial to you? Tell us about a time you had to change a decision made for you, how did you do it, were you successful?
    These questions you base on your own personal experience or judgment.
    Then the questions towards the end were technical such as; How do you ensure the high quality of products are maintained in store? Hours you can work? (Then asked to present passport to be photocopied)
    This part of the interview you have to just be yourself, not be nervous and ask any questions you may have.
    After this we were all called for the group interview in the training room again. We were given a leaflet to read in five minutes, each with a different issue and explaining what we would have to do (like a GCSE exam). Then we had twenty minutes to come up with an action plan and pick out top three issues, why they were important, what the consequences of them could be, how we can resolve it and what we can do to ensure it doesn't happen again. In this part of the interview it is vital that you communicate with all of your group, ask for opinions, offer your own ideas and agree with others or converse with them in a good team work manner. The interviewer will sit in the corner and observe while writing notes on your performance as a team and individual.
    After this we were dismissed and told they would let us know if we did or didn't get the job in a week or so.
    Two days later I received a call from the Coordination Manager giving me a verbal offer and negotiating hours and that I will receive a confirmation email later in the week.
    I then received emails telling me how to log into the PartnerLink Portal to add all my details (bank, emergency, communication preference) and was given a date to start the next week!

All in all, they want you to be yourself! Be honest, polite and enthusiastic and they are very friendly and nice! (Even had a bit of banter going at some points!)

Hope this helps! :)

Interview Questions

• How can you ensure the high quality of products is maintained in store?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had to negotiate hours as I am volunteering with something else before I applied. They seemed happy to negotiate and came to a reasonable agreement. Always explain if you can't do certain hours and offer all other time you have enthusiastically.

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waitrose in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online and answered a range of multiple choice questions based on your judgement about different and possible situations that could occur or have previously dealt with. I received an email to confirm I had passed and I was invited to attend an interview.

The interview was an individual and group interview. The group interview consisted of 9 people including myself. We were given a task to create an action plan and summarise our individual case studies and information we were given about that particular issue. We were observed by 2 interviewers . After the group interview, we were interviewed individually. The questions asked were:

1) Why Waitrose?
    2) Tell me about yourself?
    3) When have you had to change a decision made by someone else? What did you do? Were you successful?
    4) How do you ensure that there are only high quality goods sold in store?

I don't remember the remaining questions but it was related to customer service and previous decisions made which were difficult or persuading others.

I was contacted a week later by the recruiting team through email to say I passed the interview and then I was given a call offering me a temporary to permanent vacancy.

Interview Questions

• How do you ensure that there are only high quality goods sold in store?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was happy with the hours offered. Waitrose give you a form to fill in the hours of availability including training after the interview.