Waitrose Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

2.8

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Waitrose in July 2015.

Interview

I had a group interview with 2 otherswhere we were given some issues from customers and we had to come up with an action plan of how to deal with it. We were given a brief which we had 5 minutes to read and make notes. We then had 20 minutes to work together to produce an action plan (3 key issues, solutions, resources needed etc) and write it on flip chart paper. We did not have to present it. We were then taken one by one to have a 1:1 interview. The interviewer was friendly and fairly informal, so it was just like having a chat really. He told me that I had done well in the group chat (apparently they look for asking questions and good listening) and at the end of the interview he told me I definitely had a job but I won't know exactly what until the current year 13 employees find out whether or not they are leaving to go to uni.

Interview Questions

• When have you had to change the way you work? Give details of how and why.   Answer Question
  • When have you had to bring up an issue/challenge another team member? Give details of how/why?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work at Waitrose?   Answer Question
  • How do you ensure the quality of a product?   Answer Question
  • What information does a customer need for a product?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Waitrose

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

was taken to the employee area with other candidates, then had a 1 to 1 interview about 10-20 minutes long. They make you feel relaxed and not nervous which was good. Then a group interview - about 8 people - we were all given separate parts of a mystery review and then had 20 minutes to all discuss which 3 issues were the most important and make an action plan of what to do. Was told there were 3 other sessions today so would hear back after a while

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Waitrose - A time when you asked for feedback and how this changed how you work - A time you had to change someone else's decision and how that went - What you do outside work etc.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Apply online - standard forms + scenario based questions. There are quite a few so takes a while, but straightforward and easy to use common sense. Then offered a group interview which includes both a group task and one to one interview. The group interview task asked us to look at 7 different products and assign them to customers by looking at their profiles. And then the interviewer would act as the customers and everyone would get involved with the role play advising the customer based on the decisions made as a group.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the product process at waitrose (from manufacturing to customer's fridge)   1 Answer

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (Colchester, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

I did an application online, then I was invited to an interview. It was a group with about 5 of us, were all given a scenario of a bad day: deliveries were late, new co-workers went on their break without cleaning the worktop, glass jug broken, someone cuts their finger etc.. Then we all had to discuss the health and safety issues, which tasks should be prioritized and how to prevent this from happening again. One woman, a mature woman who clearly had experience before, practically dominated the task, I tried to speak as much as I could and noticed any details missed out, put all our ideas on a piece of paper. Then the 1 on 1 was much better, because I prepared for the typical interview questions beforehand such as: 'Why do you want to work for us?', 'tell me about yourself' and 'do you have any questions?'. When I got back, had to fill in a form for my hours available and holiday. Couple of days later I found out I got the job from an e-mail. Moral is.. Preparation is key!

Interview Questions

• 'Describe to me a difficult situation that you have experienced and how did you overcome it?'   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

After successfully applying online I was offered an interview. Upon arriving at the center, I was asked to wait in a room with other candidates and fill out a form. The one on one interview was first and my interviewer was kind and made me feel relaxed. The group interview was slightly more difficult but still not terrible. I was in a group of about five people and we were given a scenario based task. A few days later I was phoned and they told me they really liked me and the interview went well, however the hours I can work did not match what was available so I am now currently on hold.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you have had to be flexible. Explain a time where you had to be independent.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)).

Interview

There were 3 interviews: Group interview, individual interview and then a phone interview. You get asked a lot of scenario questions around customer service and why you want to work there (reputation etc),

Interview Questions

• What product would you suggest with this item?   Answer Question
    • What do you do if you don't know the answer to a customer's question?   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose.

Interview

was difficult at times, a lot of questions to see if you get along with others. do not be the quiet one. do not be the loud one. be the right one. :) x x x x x

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Well the whole process took around two month. I applied online and answered a lot of questions after some few days i received an email to invite me for group assessment interview.

Interview Questions

• 1.Tell me about yourself 2.Why do you want to work with us 3.How do you ensure quality of a product   Answer Question

Waitrose Supermarket Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swiss Cottage Estate (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Waitrose (Swiss Cottage Estate (Singapore)) in January 2015.

Interview

2nd stage Telephone interview: was basically Q/A re the application form which you get to fill in before the 3rd stage interview and Group Assessment; plus a couple of brief questions both really seemed to be testing if I could answer off the cuff, what I wrote in online replies to the essay Questions answered online e.g.. Why work for JLP and what is good customer service. 3rd stage Interview and Group Assessment: 1:1 interview 3 technical questions relating got the role of SA - e.g.. you may be responsible for organising the storage of a number of different types of foodstuffs - how would you go about this? Hope I would be trained how to properly do this - but I would say it's about being well-organised, sorting different types into groups re longevity on shelves etc - common sense And 3 questions re general work situations/problems/how deal with? e.g.. How have you dealt with a difficult situation where you didn't agree with a colleague/manager? attitude to difficult customers? why is time management important? All standard STAR type questions testing empathy, control, flexibility/adaptability, organisation, respect etc - link up to JLP values. Group Assessment: less than 10 of us - and was a study on under performing store; we all got couple of pieces of information re performance; and had to draft a critical analysis and recommendations for how to resolve the problem areas and what resources would be needed. V little time - some of group had no idea of what to do, others ok, others good; we failed to complete task - just made sure I contributed and was positive, co-operative etc. Offered the job 2 days later - was advised it could be up to 5. Very impressive process - handled very well, consistently by 1 member of Resourcing Team throughout email contact, telephone and face to face dealings. Now involved in online Background clearance checks which are standard but pretty rigorous - so beware if you are tempted to "tweak" your answers to online application form - you could come unstuck at final hurdle; it's not worth it - be honest. JLP are a class above others. Thanks and Good Luck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Waitrose (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

i applied online 2 weeks before i was given an interview date. For the interview there was a 1 on 1 interview and a group interview after. The question asked were: why do you want to work for us? tell me about yourself? what do you think a customer needs to know about the product? A time when you given feedback and how you approached it? how do you ensure the quality of products are good? (i think)