WalMart Canada

Relevance Date Difficulty

Overnight In-stock Interview

Overnight In-stock
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at WalMart Canada in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Called for interview (1 hour approx). Had relaxed interview with friendly assistant manager who asked a lot of unexpected questions about how I've handled different stress situations in the past. Met with Personnel Manager who talked about Walmart and what a great company it is and watched a video about Walmart's start up and growth along with happy employees at different Walmarts around the world. Did 1 full workday of CBLs (computer modules) on start date.

Interview Question – What has been your most stressful work experience?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negociation other than asking for specific days off.

Photo Lab Associate Interview

Photo Lab Associate
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada in April 2010.

Interview Details – well after visiting the neighbourhood walmart. i saw a for hire sign and decided to ask the clerk about the vacancys. with my love for photography and knowledge of computers i decided to to apply. after the intia phone interview they asked me when i could come in. na when i did we had a brief chat and that was that. i was even paid for the for my time during the interview

Interview Question – would be okay for me to help out in other departments   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there wasnt any

Human Resources Manager Interview

Human Resources Manager
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada in April 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter will call you, set up a phone interview and if you pass the pre-screening and behavioural interview you are invited to proceed with a interview with a senior HR Manager such as the District Manager. Store Manager will never get involved once the HR reports to main office in Mississauga

Interview Question – Get familiar with company culture   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Walmart pays what its pay grid determines. I asked for 45K and they offered me 65K, very honest process.

Electronics Sales Associate Interview

Electronics Sales Associate
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online on walmart careers and got call within few days and there was quick 5 minutes interview and in few hours got call that I am selected.

Negotiation Details – non negotiable.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at WalMart Canada in July 2012.

Interview Details – Are you willing to work 24/7?

Interview Question – Are you willing to relocate?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada in September 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online, and the next day was phoned by the store hiring manager. After a few questions ("Tell me about a time, at work or school, when you had to deal with a hostile situation?", "What is your major strength, and your major weakness?" etc), I was scheduled for a group interview a few days later.

I arrived about ten minutes early, and was the first one in my group to arrive. Everyone else was dressed very casually (Denim shorts, flip flops, tank tops, hoodies etc) and so I felt a little overdressed in my blouse and dress pants. We were ushered into the 'training room' and the training session was conducted by the produce manager, despite everyone in the group applying for different positions.

We began by being paired up and handed cards with questions on them meant for us to get to know our partner ('Why do you want to work here?", "Tell me your favourite food?", "What's your favourite TV show?"). Then we went around the group, telling everyone else about our partner and what we learned about them. We then were handed business cards with questions on them about working at Wal-Mart ("What do you pay?", "What is the profit sharing program?" etc) and went around the group asking them to the manager. Finally, we were grouped off and handed a card with a scenario (A team member is training a new hire wrong and not following the training manual, what is the problem and solution here?) and went around the room talking about our situation.

After that, eight managers from the store (Store co-manager, electronics manager, customer service manager etc) came in and conducted one minute interviews with everyone. They asked a question ("Describe a time when you went above and beyond your job?", "What would you do if you saw a co-worker stealing?" etc) and them moved onto the next applicant.

After that, we were dismissed and told the managers would go over our interview answers, group activity and 'behavioural activity' and phone us within 48 hours.

I found the process bizarre, and very haphazard. The person training us, the produce manager, told us he had 'never done this' before and spent the entire time reading from a manual. When the eight store managers arrived for the quick interviews, they seemed surprised to be there and ill-prepared. I thought a corporation as large as Wal-Mart would have a very organized system, but apparently not. Also, the group was kept waiting 10 minutes after our scheduled starting time and spent 10 minutes waiting for all the store managers to arrive - annoying!

There wasn't really a chance to make an impression, since none of the Wal-Mart staff who interviewed me actually had a discussion with me. I would provide an answer to their question ("Give me a time when..." etc), they would write it down and then move on to the next applicant. With so many faces, I'm not sure if when they dicuss the applicants they can recall who is who.

A few notes for potential interviewers. Despite the position you may have applied for, the interview does not deal at all with this. Those details are sorted out once you have been called back and go in for training, so don't worry about that sort of stuff. Like I said, the dress code (Among both interviewers and staff. Example - one store manager was wearing a pair of yoga capris, another one was wearing a blouse and pencil skirt) seems to be 'anything goes', so don't worry too much about your outfit. Be prepared for a lot of repetitive questions about customer service, working with others and your work ethic. The questions aren't difficult, just be ready to repeat yourself. Also be prepared to be there for quite a while, the whole thing lasted two hours for my group.

Interview Questions

• "You notice a co-worker talking about another co-worker without her knowledge. You know the gossip is untrue. What would you do? What is the problem with this situation? What is the best course of action?"   Answer Question
  • "Discuss a time when you have experienced a hostile work enviroment. What did you do about the situation? What would have been the best course of action?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wasn't satisfied with the wage ($9.50, 15 cents above the legal minimum wage), I was offered. Considering other similar entry level jobs (Server, barista, sales clerk) in the city pay more than this, I was surprised the pay was so low. Yet the store wonders why it is so hard to find staff.

Worked for WalMart Canada? Contribute to the Community!