WalMart Canada Cashier Interview Questions

2.2

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grove City, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grove City, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at WalMart Canada in November 2010.

i was called in for a interview,brought back in for a second. all the normal questions.

Other Interview Reviews for WalMart Canada

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Barrie, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada in August 2014.

I applied online for the position. You have an assessment to fill out as a part of it. About a month later, I got a call asking if I was still looking for employment. I said yes, then I did a phone interview that took about 20 minutes. I was then told that I would be called back with an time to go in for a group interview. About four days later, I got the call to come in for the group interview with references and ID. I was quite nervous, as this was my first job interview, ever. The group interview actually worked out really well.

The group interview was with about 8 people in total. When I first got there, I had to fill out a form allowing them to make a background check (only if you are 18+) and gave them my references and ID. There were three managers there, with only one of them really asking questions, while the others wrote down notes. It was quite informal. Everyone was really nice. We did quite a few activities. First, we had to introduce the person sitting next to us to the rest of the group. Then, we were given an age group and were asked: What would you need to know about the product to sell it to this person? Afterwards, we had to try to sell the Walmart Rewards Mastercard to the same partner as a roleplay. Again, with the same partner we were given an item to try to sell to them. Then, the managers explained some of the perks of working there and what would be needed from us. We were given a break. When we came back in there were three more managers, and we did a speed dating like interviews, where you were given two minutes to answer each of the manager's questions. Finally, we were told that we would be called, and that the later we were called the better.

Two days later, I was called with a time to come in for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you found a simple solution to a tough problem.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a manager told you to change the way you were doing something even though you knew it was the correct way?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

The interview process is quite easy, first you receive a phone call with the help of your resume and the online assessment. The store then takes a phone interview from you and informs for a group session interview. When I went there, the manager and the department manager were only there to take the interview. At the end we did a role play. They don't ask you difficult questions at all!

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work at Walmart?" "What does good customer service mean to you?"   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview process is a joke. I show up wearing nice clothes, and there were 8 other people there dressed in clothes ranging from pajamas to just sloppy clothes in general. Any normal company would not hire these people based off first impression alone. But they did, every single one of them got hired. You get to do musical chairs in front of department managers who ask you the usual pointless questions. What would you do in such and such a position? Why do you want to work for us? etc. Then you get to do a skit with the other people about how you would help a customer. And then you get to play a dumb boardgame dealing with walmart's philosophy and learning about their history. Also, there's a phone interview you have to pass before you get the second group interview. I applied at two locations, one closest to me and one a lot farther. Of course I didn't pass the phone interview for the one closest to me, though of course I got in at the other one even though I answered the questions in the exact same way. Oh, and prior to this of course you have to complete and totally lie on a personality quiz.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Walmart? (this is where you have to lie big time) And What problems did you have with your previous employer?   Answer Question
    lol, there was no negotiation. They give you this bogus overview about how because you had 4 years of prior customer service you get a measly 25cent raise above minimum wage. Woo-hoo.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada in March 2013.

I applied online and about two weeks later, I got a call from one of the department managers. He asked me a few initial interview questions over the phone, and about an hour after that I got a call asking me to come in for a group interview the next week.

The group interview was an interesting experience. It was my first job interview ever, and I liked it because it took a bit of pressure off of me. We started out by introducing each other, then did scenarios (things like upselling, trying to sell a Walmart Mastercard, etc.) We met the store manager and at the end of the interview, we did a speed-interviewing process with five or six of the department managers. They each asked two or three questions - pretty general ones like availability, why you want to work there, a time you were put under pressure and how you dealt with it, etc.

Within the next day or two I received a call with a job offer. I went in, gave them my references, signed some paperwork, and started training a few days after.

Interview Questions
    • Having to sell the Walmart Mastercard to the interviewer - there was information on a board but it was pretty awkward having to do it in front of a bunch of other people, especially since everyone else was paired with other candidates for their scenarios.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Had a phone interview and they asked why I wanted to work at Wal-Mart, what I had learned from my previous work experiences. They also asked for references. Second interview was a group interview and we had to act out different scenarios and how to deal with customers.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

After applying online received a call where a lady asked me couple of quesions and told me that I would receive another call the next day for a phone interview. The phone interview went pretty well and I was invited for a group interview the following day. The group interview went smoothly adn though they said they will call within 48 hours they actually called after that. So those 48 hours were kind of nerve wrecking!

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you had to come up with a simple solution of a complicated problem   Answer Question
    there were no negotiation phase

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Applied online, was contacted by phone to come to a group interview. The interview involves different stations with different activities. For example, at one station your group was given some time to market an item and present to the interviewers. At another, it was like speed dating, where you rotated around to different managers and they asked you questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult - just the typical questions like why you want to work there. Just be friendly and communicate well.   Answer Question
    I negotiated working hours. It's very hard to change your hours later on once you're employed, so from the very beginning you must set clear expectations.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at WalMart Canada in July 2012.

Are you willing to work 24/7?

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada in October 2012.

Initial phone conversation, then a group hiring process that was interesting and less stressful than a one on one.

Interview Questions
    • The "past situation" questions can be tough if you don't have any experience, and are difficult to process and answer in "speed interviewing".   Answer Question
    Make sure you set up your availability, I recommend stating minimum because adding hours can be a lot easier than taking them away.

Worked for WalMart Canada? Contribute to the Community!