WalMart Canada

Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at WalMart Canada in October 2014.

Applied online. Had to do an assessment test. Received a call a few days later asking me to come in and see someone from management. I was surprised that there was no interview, so I guess that if you pass the assessment test, you don't need to go for an interview. They can figure out who you are from the assessment test. This is JUST a guess so I don't know for certain if that's the case.

Interview Questions
    • None. Seems they were desperate for people (they were hiring 40 temporary part-time sales associates) and the manager asked about availability. BTW, the manager was straightforward, calm, and very friendly.   Answer Question

Part-time at this Walmart location means weekends from Friday evenings - Sunday evenings. Full-time positions are for Mondays-Fridays. The WalMart I applied to was open from 7am-11pm seven days a week. Shifts vary and that didn't work for me.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at WalMart Canada.

I applied online. Took about 2 weeks to get a phone call, set up a phone interview for a couple days later. The assistant manager did the phone interview, she was super nice. Questions were pretty basic, easy if you have customer-service experience. What does customer service mean to you? When have you gone above and beyond your job description in a previous job. I had trouble getting interviews at other places because I work my other job on Sundays, but they didn't seem to care, they must need employees.
    They called me back a couple of hours after my phone interview to invite me to come to a group interview (which is tonight). This interview seems a little bit unorganized...it was originally scheduled for last night, then they rescheduled it for 4pm today, and then they rescheduled it again for 6 pm. Hopefully the interview goes much better!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected if you have held customer-service positions before.   Answer Question

Overnight Stocker Interview

Got a call 3 days after applying online. Told me to come in and have an interview with a manager. Interview was easy. Asked basic questions like why do you want to work at walmart?

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at WalMart Canada in October 2014.

Part-Time position. Applied online, got a phone call 2 days later. Had a short phone interview and was asked to come in for a 1 on 1 with the department supervisor (dry grocery section). After 1 on 1 interview, was asked to come the day after for a group interview. Expected around 6~7 people but only 3 showed up. Speed type interview with only a minute to answer a question for different managers. Afterwards got called in one by one to be notified of the decision. One of the guys there didn't make it and was informed on the spot. I was put on hold for a couple of days until the interview process was completed for all other applicants. Got a phone call back a couple of days later asking if I was willing to start working the following week.

Make sure you make a positive first impression if you want to be hired. Even though stockers aren't dealing with customers directly, customer service skills are always mandatory, and being friendly and enthusiastic in the retail industry doesn't hurt.

Interview Questions
    • What are your academic goals in the near future?   View Answer
    Be aware of what position you're going into. As an entry-level stocker, you're not going to be making much more than minimum wage. Do some research about the company beforehand and be professional.

Deli Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Thomas, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Thomas, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada in October 2014.

I applied online and got a call back about 2 weeks later. The first interview was over the phone with generic "what would you do in this situation" style questions. I got asked immediately to come to a second interview which they called the roundtable. They paired us off and we asked each other predetermined questions and introduced each other. Next they split us off into new groups and we had to role play as a customer and an associate and 'sell' a product to the customer. Then we role played another scenario where an employee handles a difficult situation with a co-worker. Next up the managers gave us each a card with a name of something Walmart Canada offers its employees and after we read the name out loud, they explained what it was. Finally we had 'speed-interviews' where 6 managers each took turns asking us a question one on one. The whole process took about an hour and a half.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult but it was a long process and by the end I was tired.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Applied online and received a call in 2-3 weeks (phone interview) questions were very basic, then they told me to come in for a group interview. There were at least 4 others in my group interview but the interview was comfortable. Managers asked each individual to tell everybody a bit about themselves and then conducted a small 1-on-1 interview for about 5 mins with each person.

Phone interview Questions: (can't remember all, things might have changed)

1. Give me an example of a time when your team member or customer was giving you a hard time and how did you handle it?

2. How do you deal with pressure or a tough day at work?

3. What does customer service mean to you?

Interview Questions
    • Completing the long online questionnaire was the hard part.   Answer Question
    My advice to others is to make sure your available to work often.

Walmart Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at WalMart Canada in September 2014.

(For Walmart Supercentre)
    1) Applied online. Three days later, got a phone interview. The interview lasted 5 minutes, but I think it's suppose to be longer. The person basically asked me about two previous work experience and my availability. And of course if I had any questions.

2) Two days later, I got a phone call again asking me to come in for an interview. The interview was about two days later. The total time that the interview lasted was 35 minutes. I met with the assistant manager of the cashier department. It was an one-on-one interview.

At first, we briefly went over everything listed on my resume. Then we carried onto to about 5-6 situation questions. I can't remember what the questions were but they are very common. I would say before the interview go over your work/volunteer experience and try to think of some scenarios where you succeeded. Where there was a problem you had to fix. How you were able to organize your time and multitask successfully. How you had a positive outlook on something. The only question that I clearly remember is "How would you handle a customer at your cash that asked a question that you were not sure of the answer because it wasn't in your department. And you had very little resources (aka can't ask anyone else for help)." Of course again, be prepared to ask the interviewer any questions.

3) Got a call back two days later for what they called my third interview. I am quite certain that in other Walmart's this is actually an interview, but for this particular store it wasn't. It was basically to offer me the job. I was suppose to meet the manager of cashiers, but he was away on vacation. I got handed a lot of paperwork to read over about the company. I got paid for one hour, to read the material.

4) Orientation was the next day. It consisted of 8 hours of a lot of talk. But it was paid, so it was very easy money.

5) 1st Day, had to do 1 hour of CBL's. Then spent 30 minutes being introduced to the functions needed for cashiers on the keyboard and other stuff. Then I shadowed an employee for 50 minutes. For my remaining 1 hour and a half, I actually did the cash with an employee watching me.

6) 2nd Day, I had a 6 hour shift completely solo. The IPH (speed - item per hour) that is the standard at my Walmart is 900. I only achieved 600.

Lastly, on my 3rd Day I got to 820 :)

Didn't get to negotiate, but I did get a $0.20 extra per hour because I had previous experience. Which was for only 1 month of retail experience.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

Was contacted by recruiter and put forth as a candidate a couple of times, after about a six weeks, was selected for a phone interview. Had phone interview with hiring manager and was told I would hear back shortly after this round.

About a week later was asked to come in for an in person interview. Met with the hiring manager and the director of their department. This interview seemed to go really well, was asked some great questions, it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Was told that a decision would be made and responses given after the long weekend. Long weekend went by, and hiring manager went on vacation for a week and a half. Three weeks after the interview I was told that the role was put on hold with no feedback from the hiring manager or director.

Interview Questions
    • There really was none, just spoke about volumes and if I had experience handling them   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada in August 2014.

I applied online for the position. You have an assessment to fill out as a part of it. About a month later, I got a call asking if I was still looking for employment. I said yes, then I did a phone interview that took about 20 minutes. I was then told that I would be called back with an time to go in for a group interview. About four days later, I got the call to come in for the group interview with references and ID. I was quite nervous, as this was my first job interview, ever. The group interview actually worked out really well.

The group interview was with about 8 people in total. When I first got there, I had to fill out a form allowing them to make a background check (only if you are 18+) and gave them my references and ID. There were three managers there, with only one of them really asking questions, while the others wrote down notes. It was quite informal. Everyone was really nice. We did quite a few activities. First, we had to introduce the person sitting next to us to the rest of the group. Then, we were given an age group and were asked: What would you need to know about the product to sell it to this person? Afterwards, we had to try to sell the Walmart Rewards Mastercard to the same partner as a roleplay. Again, with the same partner we were given an item to try to sell to them. Then, the managers explained some of the perks of working there and what would be needed from us. We were given a break. When we came back in there were three more managers, and we did a speed dating like interviews, where you were given two minutes to answer each of the manager's questions. Finally, we were told that we would be called, and that the later we were called the better.

Two days later, I was called with a time to come in for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you found a simple solution to a tough problem.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a manager told you to change the way you were doing something even though you knew it was the correct way?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

The interview process is quite easy, first you receive a phone call with the help of your resume and the online assessment. The store then takes a phone interview from you and informs for a group session interview. When I went there, the manager and the department manager were only there to take the interview. At the end we did a role play. They don't ask you difficult questions at all!

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work at Walmart?" "What does good customer service mean to you?"   Answer Question