WalMart Canada

Relevance Date Difficulty

Photo Lab Associate Interview

Photo Lab Associate
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada in April 2010.

Interview Details – well after visiting the neighbourhood walmart. i saw a for hire sign and decided to ask the clerk about the vacancys. with my love for photography and knowledge of computers i decided to to apply. after the intia phone interview they asked me when i could come in. na when i did we had a brief chat and that was that. i was even paid for the for my time during the interview

Interview Question – would be okay for me to help out in other departments   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there wasnt any

Walmart Pharmacy Interview

Walmart Pharmacy

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview Details – I applied online for a cashier position and the process took 2 weeks

about 4 days after I applied (for a cashier position, not pharmacy sales) I received a phone call from a department manager from Walmart who did a phone interview right there. It consisted of basic questions such as my availability and experience, and also some more challenging ones such as a time when I've been under stress. It took a total of about 20 minutes, and at the end of it she asked me to come in to the store two days later for a group interview

The group interview took about 2 hours and it was actually pretty fun. There were about 7 of us applicants, and we were all there for different positions- there were three there for the auto department, two for overnight stock, and two of us for cashier. We started out by talking to the person next to us and then introducing them to the rest of the group, and then the department manager running the interview told us all about Walmart, the employee benefits, etc. Then we had a speed interview, where 7 more managers came into the room and sat in chairs across from the applicants so that we each had someone in front of us, and each manager would ask the applicant in front of them a question, the applicant would have 1 minute to answer, and then they would rotate so that each applicant was asked 7 questions; it was sorta like speed dating. I appreciated it because it was a lot less stressful than a one-on-one interview, and it was a pretty casual environment. They told us they would call us within 48 hours and tell us if they wanted us, and I was called back within a day and asked to come in in a few days and fill out a background check. As it turns out, I was too young for the background check, so instead she just checked my references and then called me back a couple days later and asked me to come in on Friday to meet the Store Manager.

I went in on Friday and the store manager just asked me two questions- "tell me about yourself" and "why did you choose Walmart". I answered them and then she said that she would like to offer me a job in the pharmacy, and that it has higher pay than cashier. I was very surprised because I had applied for a cashier position, not a pharmacy, but I was happy to accept. I then filled out some paperwork, and I was told that I would start orientation the next week.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when you were under stress and how you dealt with it"
"Why did you choose Walmart"
  Answer Question

Walmart Cashier/Customer Service Interview

Walmart Cashier/Customer Service
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada in September 2012.

Interview Details – they hired me in a tim hortons saying its the best service they got in tim hortons so far. then i had an interview asking about my other experiences and languages i speak, my background and scolarship.

Interview Question – can you work 2 hours from your place?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lot Associate Interview

Lot Associate
Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada in April 2014.

Interview Details – I got a completely unexpected call from Walmart about 2 months after I had applied. During the call, I was asked a variety of thought provoking questions which I assume are designed to see how well you are at thinking on the spot. They were pretty difficult to answer but I managed to get through them. The lady I was speaking to informed me at the end of the phone call that I will receive a call from them in a few days after the interview has been reviewed and if they choose me to go on to the next step.

A week later, I get a call saying that I have been selected for the group interview. The group interview consisted of most of the department managers (around 8 or so of them) and 10 other applicants. The first thing we did was talk to one of the applicants sitting beside you and then introduce them to the group. Pretty short and simple. The next thing we did was sing the Walmart cheer. Don't be afraid to let yourself loose during the cheer, this is what they are looking for, to see how enthusiastic you are. After that was all said and done, we did a bit of role playing. We had to pair up into group of twos and sell a random object of the manager's choice. All of the objects were pretty irrelevant to the character you were playing which made it tricky but still fun at the same time. Last but not least, we did speed questioning. Basically what happens is each of the manager's have 60 seconds to ask you two questions. The questions are very similar to the phone interview, ranging from easy ones such as "What are the hours you can work?" or "What position did you apply for?" to "Explain a situation where you came up with a simple solution for a difficult problem?". I highly recommend preparing for these questions as it really helped me get through this stage of the interview. To conclude the interview, they told us that we should expect a call within a week if we got the job.

A week later, I got a call from Walmart asking me to come in for a background check and reference check. They will only do this if you are 18 years or older. I went in, filled out some paperwork, gave them 3 references and was off. The lady I spoke to said it should only take a few days, but the whole process took a whole week.

Finally, I was called for the last time and offered a position. They asked me to come in and fill out the paperwork. I did not get the opportunity to negotiate my pay however I was very happy with what they offered me based on my prior work experience (over minimum wage).

Interview Questions

• "Explain a situation where you came up with a simple solution for a difficult problem?"   Answer Question
  • "What would you do if a manager told you that you were doing your job wrong when you were doing it correctly?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not get the opportunity to negotiate my pay however I was very happy with what they offered me based on my prior work experience. Considering I had less then a year of prior work experience, they still offered me well over minimum wage.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview Details – poor and unorganized

Interview Question – none except the person was late and another person was interviewing for a different position I had applied for   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – a waiting game again

Overnight Stocker Interview

Overnight Stocker
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at WalMart Canada in September 2013.

Interview Details – First a call from ontario then a call from local store. Then a group interview with other applicant. Then a group interview with 4 department managers and finally with store manager

Interview Question – questions about costumer service   View Answer

Negotiation Details – About salary expectation

D A R E Program Interview

D A R E Program
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada in October 2013.

Interview Details – Make sure you apply online and submit your electronic resume. Your post secondary institution may host a WalMart information session, and if they do, make sure you attend and network as much as possible. After this information session, the recruiters they bring there will mention the top 3 people that made a lasting impression on them. From this they will generate a pool of candidates. If successful, they will call you back for a short phone interview. There are 10 candidates that they do 1-on-1 45 minute interviews with. Again, from this top 10 they pick the 4 best candidates and invite you to their head office. The head office interview is the hardest and most intimidating. If you make it to this last stage, you are apart of "the Final 32" (4 per school x 8 schools including Schulich, Ivey, Laurier, Ryerson, Queens). At this all-day final interview, you do lots of stuff and will be very tired by the end of it. First everyone introduces themselves and you get a tour of the head office. You do a case about NASA and ranking 15 items in order based on need and survival in groups of four that will test your personality, how you think and how you work with others. You meet VP's and talk to them and lastly, you do 5/7 back to back panel interviews with about 2-3 employees probing you with questions.

Their hiring process is a total mess - the recruiter for this program is very unprofessional, oddly aggressive and unorganized. I made it to the final round, but going into every round they forgot to contact me and always did it last minute, putting me in a disadvantage compared to other candidates. They will try to pressure cook you with questions, be calm and answer them to the best of your ability! Although it was a long process and messy at times, some people there are actually really nice! Others just hate their life.

They ask a lot of questions about their competitors, strategy related questions, behavioural questions, etc. Make sure you're up to speed about big-box retailers and the changing Canadian retail landscape!

Interview Question – "With the recent entry of Target into the Canadian retail landscape, how will they cannibalize WalMart?" "With Loblaw's recent acquisition of Shoppers Drug Mart, how will this affect WalMart?"   View Answer

Walmart Cashier Interview

Walmart Cashier
Sudbury, ON (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview Details – Applied on line and got a call the very same day.

Interview Question – Taking matters into your own hands by finding an answer to a specific question where you do not know the answer   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview Details – Interview process is a joke. I show up wearing nice clothes, and there were 8 other people there dressed in clothes ranging from pajamas to just sloppy clothes in general. Any normal company would not hire these people based off first impression alone. But they did, every single one of them got hired. You get to do musical chairs in front of department managers who ask you the usual pointless questions. What would you do in such and such a position? Why do you want to work for us? etc. Then you get to do a skit with the other people about how you would help a customer. And then you get to play a dumb boardgame dealing with walmart's philosophy and learning about their history. Also, there's a phone interview you have to pass before you get the second group interview. I applied at two locations, one closest to me and one a lot farther. Of course I didn't pass the phone interview for the one closest to me, though of course I got in at the other one even though I answered the questions in the exact same way. Oh, and prior to this of course you have to complete and totally lie on a personality quiz.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Walmart? (this is where you have to lie big time) And What problems did you have with your previous employer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – lol, there was no negotiation. They give you this bogus overview about how because you had 4 years of prior customer service you get a measly 25cent raise above minimum wage. Woo-hoo.

Jewellery Associate Interview

Jewellery Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview Details – The interview only took 5 mins of the Personnel Manager asking me questions about how long I planned to stay with the job and which position I preferred(I had originally applied for cashier).

Interviews for Top Jobs at WalMart Canada