WalMart Canada

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.3

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at WalMart Canada in August 2014.

I applied the position online, and completed an assessment. About one week later, I got a phone interview, asking me some questions regarding about my past experience. Also, some basic behavior questions such as "How do you handle a situation that a customer is not satisfied your service?" At the end of the interview, the person told me they have three group interview sessions, and let me pick one . Group interview was fun. I got a partner and played a role with my partner under a make-up scenario. Finally, there were four different department managers asking each of us one questions, and we only had 30 seconds to 1 minute to answer each question.

I still wait for criminal check and reference check. Haven't started yet

Finance Interview

There are multiple rounds with Human Resources over the phone and in person. After that there are then multiple rounds of interviews with the hiring manager and later there may be one round with the senior management. The process is pretty standard as in most other multinational companies. Be prepared for 1 to 2 months process.

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

I did a transfer from another store, so I 2 phone interviews and then they offered me the position. The interview was fairly average, joked around and answered some questions about work experience and such.

Interview Questions
    • all of the questions were really basic, from what i remember. Everything you'd expect to get asked. Always asking for examples of times when...   Answer Question
    did not negotiate.

Photo Lab Technician Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

Started with group interview and a personality quiz, moved to individual interview where I was asked about basic photography questions. Other standard interview questions - greatest strength, weaknesses, how I work under pressure.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about physical strength, for moving machinery and heavy paper.   Answer Question

Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada in June 2014.

I applied online to the Walmart Canada Hiring website, that process took about an hour. The next day I went into the local branch (where the position was posted) and gave my resume to the store manager. He called me that afternoon (4 hours later) to set up an interview for the following week. The interview was 1hr and 30min between myself and the store manager and took place in the hiring manager's office. I followed up with the store manager by e-mail and then was asked to do a phone interview with a talent specialist at the Canadian head office one week following my in-person interview. Three days following the phone interview and a few e-mail's in between I received an official offer of employment. I was called then sent the offer by e-mail. It was a quick and positive hiring experience.

Interview Questions
    • All questions came from Walmart's Standard Manager question bank of 60 or more questions. I was asked about 20 questions to determine how I would respond to different scenarios and what experiences I have had with situations that were likely to occur in the job.   Answer Question
    Negotiated start date and vacation days. The offer was generous.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at WalMart Canada in May 2014.

I was called for an interview. I was told to report to the customer service desk. When I got there, I was told to go to the layaway desk at the back of the store. There was no sign for a layaway desk, but there was an empty counter, and when I approached it, an employee walked up from behind me and asked if I was there for an interview. She went to get the interviewer. The interviewer led me to a large barren room with a concrete floor and folding tables and chairs instead of interviewing me in an office, conference, or meeting room. There was another woman sitting at the other end of the room going through piles of papers. The interviewer indicated that she was preparing for an audit. It was the strangest setting for an interview that I had ever seen.

The interviewer asked me behavioural questions about customer service such as, "Tell me about a time that you went out of your way to provide exceptional customer service." There were no questions about HR duties.
    The interviewer said that here had been over 30 applicants, and she would be interviewing for several more days, but would let me know Thursday. I never heard from her.

Interview Questions
    • I had expected questions about HR, but they were all customer service questions that would also apply to clerks and cashiers.   Answer Question

Walmart Pharmacy Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

I applied online for a cashier position and the process took 2 weeks

about 4 days after I applied (for a cashier position, not pharmacy sales) I received a phone call from a department manager from Walmart who did a phone interview right there. It consisted of basic questions such as my availability and experience, and also some more challenging ones such as a time when I've been under stress. It took a total of about 20 minutes, and at the end of it she asked me to come in to the store two days later for a group interview

The group interview took about 2 hours and it was actually pretty fun. There were about 7 of us applicants, and we were all there for different positions- there were three there for the auto department, two for overnight stock, and two of us for cashier. We started out by talking to the person next to us and then introducing them to the rest of the group, and then the department manager running the interview told us all about Walmart, the employee benefits, etc. Then we had a speed interview, where 7 more managers came into the room and sat in chairs across from the applicants so that we each had someone in front of us, and each manager would ask the applicant in front of them a question, the applicant would have 1 minute to answer, and then they would rotate so that each applicant was asked 7 questions; it was sorta like speed dating. I appreciated it because it was a lot less stressful than a one-on-one interview, and it was a pretty casual environment. They told us they would call us within 48 hours and tell us if they wanted us, and I was called back within a day and asked to come in in a few days and fill out a background check. As it turns out, I was too young for the background check, so instead she just checked my references and then called me back a couple days later and asked me to come in on Friday to meet the Store Manager.

I went in on Friday and the store manager just asked me two questions- "tell me about yourself" and "why did you choose Walmart". I answered them and then she said that she would like to offer me a job in the pharmacy, and that it has higher pay than cashier. I was very surprised because I had applied for a cashier position, not a pharmacy, but I was happy to accept. I then filled out some paperwork, and I was told that I would start orientation the next week.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you were under stress and how you dealt with it"
      "Why did you choose Walmart"

Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at WalMart Canada.

poor and unorganized

Interview Questions
    • none except the person was late and another person was interviewing for a different position I had applied for   Answer Question
    a waiting game again

Lot Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada in April 2014.

I got a completely unexpected call from Walmart about 2 months after I had applied. During the call, I was asked a variety of thought provoking questions which I assume are designed to see how well you are at thinking on the spot. They were pretty difficult to answer but I managed to get through them. The lady I was speaking to informed me at the end of the phone call that I will receive a call from them in a few days after the interview has been reviewed and if they choose me to go on to the next step.

A week later, I get a call saying that I have been selected for the group interview. The group interview consisted of most of the department managers (around 8 or so of them) and 10 other applicants. The first thing we did was talk to one of the applicants sitting beside you and then introduce them to the group. Pretty short and simple. The next thing we did was sing the Walmart cheer. Don't be afraid to let yourself loose during the cheer, this is what they are looking for, to see how enthusiastic you are. After that was all said and done, we did a bit of role playing. We had to pair up into group of twos and sell a random object of the manager's choice. All of the objects were pretty irrelevant to the character you were playing which made it tricky but still fun at the same time. Last but not least, we did speed questioning. Basically what happens is each of the manager's have 60 seconds to ask you two questions. The questions are very similar to the phone interview, ranging from easy ones such as "What are the hours you can work?" or "What position did you apply for?" to "Explain a situation where you came up with a simple solution for a difficult problem?". I highly recommend preparing for these questions as it really helped me get through this stage of the interview. To conclude the interview, they told us that we should expect a call within a week if we got the job.

A week later, I got a call from Walmart asking me to come in for a background check and reference check. They will only do this if you are 18 years or older. I went in, filled out some paperwork, gave them 3 references and was off. The lady I spoke to said it should only take a few days, but the whole process took a whole week.

Finally, I was called for the last time and offered a position. They asked me to come in and fill out the paperwork. I did not get the opportunity to negotiate my pay however I was very happy with what they offered me based on my prior work experience (over minimum wage).

Interview Questions
    • "Explain a situation where you came up with a simple solution for a difficult problem?"   Answer Question
    • "What would you do if a manager told you that you were doing your job wrong when you were doing it correctly?"   Answer Question
    I did not get the opportunity to negotiate my pay however I was very happy with what they offered me based on my prior work experience. Considering I had less then a year of prior work experience, they still offered me well over minimum wage.

Cashier Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview process is a joke. I show up wearing nice clothes, and there were 8 other people there dressed in clothes ranging from pajamas to just sloppy clothes in general. Any normal company would not hire these people based off first impression alone. But they did, every single one of them got hired. You get to do musical chairs in front of department managers who ask you the usual pointless questions. What would you do in such and such a position? Why do you want to work for us? etc. Then you get to do a skit with the other people about how you would help a customer. And then you get to play a dumb boardgame dealing with walmart's philosophy and learning about their history. Also, there's a phone interview you have to pass before you get the second group interview. I applied at two locations, one closest to me and one a lot farther. Of course I didn't pass the phone interview for the one closest to me, though of course I got in at the other one even though I answered the questions in the exact same way. Oh, and prior to this of course you have to complete and totally lie on a personality quiz.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Walmart? (this is where you have to lie big time) And What problems did you have with your previous employer?   Answer Question
    lol, there was no negotiation. They give you this bogus overview about how because you had 4 years of prior customer service you get a measly 25cent raise above minimum wage. Woo-hoo.