WalMart Canada Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.3

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barrie, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada (Barrie, ON (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the position. You have an assessment to fill out as a part of it. About a month later, I got a call asking if I was still looking for employment. I said yes, then I did a phone interview that took about 20 minutes. I was then told that I would be called back with an time to go in for a group interview. About four days later, I got the call to come in for the group interview with references and ID. I was quite nervous, as this was my first job interview, ever. The group interview actually worked out really well.

The group interview was with about 8 people in total. When I first got there, I had to fill out a form allowing them to make a background check (only if you are 18+) and gave them my references and ID. There were three managers there, with only one of them really asking questions, while the others wrote down notes. It was quite informal. Everyone was really nice. We did quite a few activities. First, we had to introduce the person sitting next to us to the rest of the group. Then, we were given an age group and were asked: What would you need to know about the product to sell it to this person? Afterwards, we had to try to sell the Walmart Rewards Mastercard to the same partner as a roleplay. Again, with the same partner we were given an item to try to sell to them. Then, the managers explained some of the perks of working there and what would be needed from us. We were given a break. When we came back in there were three more managers, and we did a speed dating like interviews, where you were given two minutes to answer each of the manager's questions. Finally, we were told that we would be called, and that the later we were called the better.

Two days later, I was called with a time to come in for orientation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you found a simple solution to a tough problem.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a manager told you to change the way you were doing something even though you knew it was the correct way?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview

The interview process is quite easy, first you receive a phone call with the help of your resume and the online assessment. The store then takes a phone interview from you and informs for a group session interview. When I went there, the manager and the department manager were only there to take the interview. At the end we did a role play. They don't ask you difficult questions at all!

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work at Walmart?" "What does good customer service mean to you?"   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at WalMart Canada (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied the position online, and completed an assessment. About one week later, I got a phone interview, asking me some questions regarding about my past experience. Also, some basic behavior questions such as "How do you handle a situation that a customer is not satisfied your service?" At the end of the interview, the person told me they have three group interview sessions, and let me pick one . Group interview was fun. I got a partner and played a role with my partner under a make-up scenario. Finally, there were four different department managers asking each of us one questions, and we only had 30 seconds to 1 minute to answer each question.

Negotiation

I still wait for criminal check and reference check. Haven't started yet

Electronics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at WalMart Canada (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty easy. I applies in store by filling application form. They called me after 20 days and took a brief phone interview. Waited for couple of weeks and then they called me again and took a phone interview and told me that you will get another call. Next day they called me and asked to come for orientation.

Finance Interview

Interview

There are multiple rounds with Human Resources over the phone and in person. After that there are then multiple rounds of interviews with the hiring manager and later there may be one round with the senior management. The process is pretty standard as in most other multinational companies. Be prepared for 1 to 2 months process.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview

I did a transfer from another store, so I 2 phone interviews and then they offered me the position. The interview was fairly average, joked around and answered some questions about work experience and such.

Interview Questions

• all of the questions were really basic, from what i remember. Everything you'd expect to get asked. Always asking for examples of times when...   Answer Question

Negotiation

did not negotiate.

Photo Lab Technician Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview

Started with group interview and a personality quiz, moved to individual interview where I was asked about basic photography questions. Other standard interview questions - greatest strength, weaknesses, how I work under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Questions about physical strength, for moving machinery and heavy paper.   Answer Question

Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online to the Walmart Canada Hiring website, that process took about an hour. The next day I went into the local branch (where the position was posted) and gave my resume to the store manager. He called me that afternoon (4 hours later) to set up an interview for the following week. The interview was 1hr and 30min between myself and the store manager and took place in the hiring manager's office. I followed up with the store manager by e-mail and then was asked to do a phone interview with a talent specialist at the Canadian head office one week following my in-person interview. Three days following the phone interview and a few e-mail's in between I received an official offer of employment. I was called then sent the offer by e-mail. It was a quick and positive hiring experience.

Interview Questions

• All questions came from Walmart's Standard Manager question bank of 60 or more questions. I was asked about 20 questions to determine how I would respond to different scenarios and what experiences I have had with situations that were likely to occur in the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated start date and vacation days. The offer was generous.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Surrey, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at WalMart Canada (Surrey, BC (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

I was called for an interview. I was told to report to the customer service desk. When I got there, I was told to go to the layaway desk at the back of the store. There was no sign for a layaway desk, but there was an empty counter, and when I approached it, an employee walked up from behind me and asked if I was there for an interview. She went to get the interviewer. The interviewer led me to a large barren room with a concrete floor and folding tables and chairs instead of interviewing me in an office, conference, or meeting room. There was another woman sitting at the other end of the room going through piles of papers. The interviewer indicated that she was preparing for an audit. It was the strangest setting for an interview that I had ever seen.

The interviewer asked me behavioural questions about customer service such as, "Tell me about a time that you went out of your way to provide exceptional customer service." There were no questions about HR duties.
    The interviewer said that here had been over 30 applicants, and she would be interviewing for several more days, but would let me know Thursday. I never heard from her.

Interview Questions

• I had expected questions about HR, but they were all customer service questions that would also apply to clerks and cashiers.   Answer Question

Walmart Pharmacy Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview

I applied online for a cashier position and the process took 2 weeks

about 4 days after I applied (for a cashier position, not pharmacy sales) I received a phone call from a department manager from Walmart who did a phone interview right there. It consisted of basic questions such as my availability and experience, and also some more challenging ones such as a time when I've been under stress. It took a total of about 20 minutes, and at the end of it she asked me to come in to the store two days later for a group interview

The group interview took about 2 hours and it was actually pretty fun. There were about 7 of us applicants, and we were all there for different positions- there were three there for the auto department, two for overnight stock, and two of us for cashier. We started out by talking to the person next to us and then introducing them to the rest of the group, and then the department manager running the interview told us all about Walmart, the employee benefits, etc. Then we had a speed interview, where 7 more managers came into the room and sat in chairs across from the applicants so that we each had someone in front of us, and each manager would ask the applicant in front of them a question, the applicant would have 1 minute to answer, and then they would rotate so that each applicant was asked 7 questions; it was sorta like speed dating. I appreciated it because it was a lot less stressful than a one-on-one interview, and it was a pretty casual environment. They told us they would call us within 48 hours and tell us if they wanted us, and I was called back within a day and asked to come in in a few days and fill out a background check. As it turns out, I was too young for the background check, so instead she just checked my references and then called me back a couple days later and asked me to come in on Friday to meet the Store Manager.

I went in on Friday and the store manager just asked me two questions- "tell me about yourself" and "why did you choose Walmart". I answered them and then she said that she would like to offer me a job in the pharmacy, and that it has higher pay than cashier. I was very surprised because I had applied for a cashier position, not a pharmacy, but I was happy to accept. I then filled out some paperwork, and I was told that I would start orientation the next week.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you were under stress and how you dealt with it"
      "Why did you choose Walmart"

Answer Question