WalMart Canada

Getting the Interview

17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

North York, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada in April 2012.

Interview Details – The first step is to submit a profile on line where you have to answer around 80 questions . The questions are simple behaviour based . If you have retail experience it would be easy to answer these questions. After the online assessment there will be a telephonics interview which will take around 20 mnts .

Interview Question – What is the market share of walmart amongst all the other retail chain ?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Pay offered was not as expected . Less hours

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada in August 2010.

Interview Details – There are three interview stages. The initial gives you an idea of what you'll be doing. The next two get you to speak with different managers and find out if you are flawed too severely to work at Walmart.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview Details – There were 2 interviews (preliminary and final). If you receive a call after the interview, then you come back to accept their job offer. Once you have signed the job offer, you need to take and pass several WHMIS modules before they allow you to go on the floor with the vest and ID.

Interview Question – These are basic/standard questions normally asked for entry level positions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They offer minimum rate any way.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview Details – Phone Call for a Phone Interview, Then a call back for a Group Interview. Group interview was chill. Introductions to other job candidates. Then you were asked to pair off and ask each other questions. Then relay that information to the rest of group. Then a mock customer scenario where you tried to sell a product.

Interview Question – What would you say your weakness is?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty standard, over the phone.

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward. No surprises. HR asked me to choose a convenient time for interview. She was friendly and to-the-point.

Interview Question – What have you been doing in the past few years, when you weren't working?   Answer Question

Interviewed at WalMart Canada

Interview Details – three...1st one i forgot then the personnel and lastly assistant manager

Interview Question – why do u want to work here   Answer Question

Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada in September 2009.

Interview Details – Asked me some generic questions- describe yourself, how would you deal with a difficult customer, etc. No questions felt out of place or blindsiding.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada in July 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was far different than other interviews that I have been to. The first stage was similar to the multiple mini interviews that certain professional programs at universities have. It consisted of a short conversation at one of the rotating stations. After that there were group presentations that assessed your ability to work in a team.

Interview Question – Describe a conflict in your work experience and how you addressed it   Answer Question

Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Interview Details – Originally had a phone interview out of the blue (wasn't really told she just started asking questions!) about 15mins long with your usual questions. Eg when was there a time you were stressed out at work and what did you do?
Was called back about 5 days later and informed about a group interview.
The group interview consisted of 5 other applicants and a few of the managers from the store were there as well. There was some roleplaying, trying to sell an item, discussing gossiping in the work place etc.
They also told us about benefits and the store we would be working in.
Last but not least there was the speed interview questions where the managers asked each of us 3 questions moving down the line til they were done.

Interview Question – How would you handle a situation where you saw someone stealing?   Answer Question

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WalMart Canada in September 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online, and the next day was phoned by the store hiring manager. After a few questions ("Tell me about a time, at work or school, when you had to deal with a hostile situation?", "What is your major strength, and your major weakness?" etc), I was scheduled for a group interview a few days later.

I arrived about ten minutes early, and was the first one in my group to arrive. Everyone else was dressed very casually (Denim shorts, flip flops, tank tops, hoodies etc) and so I felt a little overdressed in my blouse and dress pants. We were ushered into the 'training room' and the training session was conducted by the produce manager, despite everyone in the group applying for different positions.

We began by being paired up and handed cards with questions on them meant for us to get to know our partner ('Why do you want to work here?", "Tell me your favourite food?", "What's your favourite TV show?"). Then we went around the group, telling everyone else about our partner and what we learned about them. We then were handed business cards with questions on them about working at Wal-Mart ("What do you pay?", "What is the profit sharing program?" etc) and went around the group asking them to the manager. Finally, we were grouped off and handed a card with a scenario (A team member is training a new hire wrong and not following the training manual, what is the problem and solution here?) and went around the room talking about our situation.

After that, eight managers from the store (Store co-manager, electronics manager, customer service manager etc) came in and conducted one minute interviews with everyone. They asked a question ("Describe a time when you went above and beyond your job?", "What would you do if you saw a co-worker stealing?" etc) and them moved onto the next applicant.

After that, we were dismissed and told the managers would go over our interview answers, group activity and 'behavioural activity' and phone us within 48 hours.

I found the process bizarre, and very haphazard. The person training us, the produce manager, told us he had 'never done this' before and spent the entire time reading from a manual. When the eight store managers arrived for the quick interviews, they seemed surprised to be there and ill-prepared. I thought a corporation as large as Wal-Mart would have a very organized system, but apparently not. Also, the group was kept waiting 10 minutes after our scheduled starting time and spent 10 minutes waiting for all the store managers to arrive - annoying!

There wasn't really a chance to make an impression, since none of the Wal-Mart staff who interviewed me actually had a discussion with me. I would provide an answer to their question ("Give me a time when..." etc), they would write it down and then move on to the next applicant. With so many faces, I'm not sure if when they dicuss the applicants they can recall who is who.

A few notes for potential interviewers. Despite the position you may have applied for, the interview does not deal at all with this. Those details are sorted out once you have been called back and go in for training, so don't worry about that sort of stuff. Like I said, the dress code (Among both interviewers and staff. Example - one store manager was wearing a pair of yoga capris, another one was wearing a blouse and pencil skirt) seems to be 'anything goes', so don't worry too much about your outfit. Be prepared for a lot of repetitive questions about customer service, working with others and your work ethic. The questions aren't difficult, just be ready to repeat yourself. Also be prepared to be there for quite a while, the whole thing lasted two hours for my group.

Interview Questions

• "You notice a co-worker talking about another co-worker without her knowledge. You know the gossip is untrue. What would you do? What is the problem with this situation? What is the best course of action?"   Answer Question
  • "Discuss a time when you have experienced a hostile work enviroment. What did you do about the situation? What would have been the best course of action?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wasn't satisfied with the wage ($9.50, 15 cents above the legal minimum wage), I was offered. Considering other similar entry level jobs (Server, barista, sales clerk) in the city pay more than this, I was surprised the pay was so low. Yet the store wonders why it is so hard to find staff.

Interviews for Top Jobs at WalMart Canada

Worked for WalMart Canada? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WalMart Canada Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by WalMart Canada employees and interview candidates.