WalMart Canada

2.3

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada in April 2012.

The first step is to submit a profile on line where you have to answer around 80 questions . The questions are simple behaviour based . If you have retail experience it would be easy to answer these questions. After the online assessment there will be a telephonics interview which will take around 20 mnts .

Interview Questions
  • What is the market share of walmart amongst all the other retail chain ?   View Answer

Pay offered was not as expected . Less hours

Other Interview Reviews for WalMart Canada

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barrie, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at WalMart Canada in October 2014.

Applied online. Had to do an assessment test. Received a call a few days later asking me to come in and see someone from management. I was surprised that there was no interview, so I guess that if you pass the assessment test, you don't need to go for an interview. They can figure out who you are from the assessment test. This is JUST a guess so I don't know for certain if that's the case.

Interview Questions
    • None. Seems they were desperate for people (they were hiring 40 temporary part-time sales associates) and the manager asked about availability. BTW, the manager was straightforward, calm, and very friendly.   Answer Question

Part-time at this Walmart location means weekends from Friday evenings - Sunday evenings. Full-time positions are for Mondays-Fridays. The WalMart I applied to was open from 7am-11pm seven days a week. Shifts vary and that didn't work for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Applied online and received a call in 2-3 weeks (phone interview) questions were very basic, then they told me to come in for a group interview. There were at least 4 others in my group interview but the interview was comfortable. Managers asked each individual to tell everybody a bit about themselves and then conducted a small 1-on-1 interview for about 5 mins with each person.

Phone interview Questions: (can't remember all, things might have changed)

1. Give me an example of a time when your team member or customer was giving you a hard time and how did you handle it?

2. How do you deal with pressure or a tough day at work?

3. What does customer service mean to you?

Interview Questions
    • Completing the long online questionnaire was the hard part.   Answer Question
    My advice to others is to make sure your available to work often.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

There were 2 interviews (preliminary and final). If you receive a call after the interview, then you come back to accept their job offer. Once you have signed the job offer, you need to take and pass several WHMIS modules before they allow you to go on the floor with the vest and ID.

Interview Questions
    • These are basic/standard questions normally asked for entry level positions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They offer minimum rate any way.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

Phone Call for a Phone Interview, Then a call back for a Group Interview. Group interview was chill. Introductions to other job candidates. Then you were asked to pair off and ask each other questions. Then relay that information to the rest of group. Then a mock customer scenario where you tried to sell a product.

Interview Questions
    Pretty standard, over the phone.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at WalMart Canada.

Pretty straightforward. No surprises. HR asked me to choose a convenient time for interview. She was friendly and to-the-point.

Interview Questions
    • What have you been doing in the past few years, when you weren't working?   Answer Question

three...1st one i forgot then the personnel and lastly assistant manager

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at WalMart Canada.

Originally had a phone interview out of the blue (wasn't really told she just started asking questions!) about 15mins long with your usual questions. Eg when was there a time you were stressed out at work and what did you do?
    Was called back about 5 days later and informed about a group interview.
    The group interview consisted of 5 other applicants and a few of the managers from the store were there as well. There was some roleplaying, trying to sell an item, discussing gossiping in the work place etc.
    They also told us about benefits and the store we would be working in.
    Last but not least there was the speed interview questions where the managers asked each of us 3 questions moving down the line til they were done.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation where you saw someone stealing?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at WalMart Canada in September 2012.

I submitted my resume online, and the next day was phoned by the store hiring manager. After a few questions ("Tell me about a time, at work or school, when you had to deal with a hostile situation?", "What is your major strength, and your major weakness?" etc), I was scheduled for a group interview a few days later.

I arrived about ten minutes early, and was the first one in my group to arrive. Everyone else was dressed very casually (Denim shorts, flip flops, tank tops, hoodies etc) and so I felt a little overdressed in my blouse and dress pants. We were ushered into the 'training room' and the training session was conducted by the produce manager, despite everyone in the group applying for different positions.

We began by being paired up and handed cards with questions on them meant for us to get to know our partner ('Why do you want to work here?", "Tell me your favourite food?", "What's your favourite TV show?"). Then we went around the group, telling everyone else about our partner and what we learned about them. We then were handed business cards with questions on them about working at Wal-Mart ("What do you pay?", "What is the profit sharing program?" etc) and went around the group asking them to the manager. Finally, we were grouped off and handed a card with a scenario (A team member is training a new hire wrong and not following the training manual, what is the problem and solution here?) and went around the room talking about our situation.

After that, eight managers from the store (Store co-manager, electronics manager, customer service manager etc) came in and conducted one minute interviews with everyone. They asked a question ("Describe a time when you went above and beyond your job?", "What would you do if you saw a co-worker stealing?" etc) and them moved onto the next applicant.

After that, we were dismissed and told the managers would go over our interview answers, group activity and 'behavioural activity' and phone us within 48 hours.

I found the process bizarre, and very haphazard. The person training us, the produce manager, told us he had 'never done this' before and spent the entire time reading from a manual. When the eight store managers arrived for the quick interviews, they seemed surprised to be there and ill-prepared. I thought a corporation as large as Wal-Mart would have a very organized system, but apparently not. Also, the group was kept waiting 10 minutes after our scheduled starting time and spent 10 minutes waiting for all the store managers to arrive - annoying!

There wasn't really a chance to make an impression, since none of the Wal-Mart staff who interviewed me actually had a discussion with me. I would provide an answer to their question ("Give me a time when..." etc), they would write it down and then move on to the next applicant. With so many faces, I'm not sure if when they dicuss the applicants they can recall who is who.

A few notes for potential interviewers. Despite the position you may have applied for, the interview does not deal at all with this. Those details are sorted out once you have been called back and go in for training, so don't worry about that sort of stuff. Like I said, the dress code (Among both interviewers and staff. Example - one store manager was wearing a pair of yoga capris, another one was wearing a blouse and pencil skirt) seems to be 'anything goes', so don't worry too much about your outfit. Be prepared for a lot of repetitive questions about customer service, working with others and your work ethic. The questions aren't difficult, just be ready to repeat yourself. Also be prepared to be there for quite a while, the whole thing lasted two hours for my group.

Interview Questions
    • "You notice a co-worker talking about another co-worker without her knowledge. You know the gossip is untrue. What would you do? What is the problem with this situation? What is the best course of action?"   Answer Question
    • "Discuss a time when you have experienced a hostile work enviroment. What did you do about the situation? What would have been the best course of action?"   Answer Question

I wasn't satisfied with the wage ($9.50, 15 cents above the legal minimum wage), I was offered. Considering other similar entry level jobs (Server, barista, sales clerk) in the city pay more than this, I was surprised the pay was so low. Yet the store wonders why it is so hard to find staff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at WalMart Canada in March 2012.

I first got a call from Walmart and they asked me a few questions on the phone then told me to go in for an real interview. When I went in (which was the next day), it was a group interview. We each had to pretty much introduce ourselves and then they gave us an item to sell on the spot to them. We got into pairs and one pretend to be a customer looking for that specific product and another one as a sales associate.
    After that "pretend game", they had 7 different department manager come in to have a group interview with us. We each get around 1 minute with each of the manager and they interview all of us asking different types of questions (some questions were repeated). Some managers were really nice, but there was one that was really mean and discouraging. It seemed like she was trying to make the interview hard for us.
    The interview took around one hour, but then it took them a week to call back and it takes 2.5 weeks for the background check! Then finally they called me today asking me to go in for the orientation. It took a total of one month to finish the whole process!

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult situation that you have encounter and the simplest way that you use to solve it?   Answer Question