Walgreens

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deerfield, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Walgreens.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter from Human Resources after they came across my online resume submission for an available Senior Financial Analyst position. I was asked a series of pre-screening questions to see if I would be a good fit for the role, and then informed that I would hear back in a week or two if I was still being considered as a candidate for the opportunity.

About one week later, I received a follow-up call asking if I would be available for a second phone interview with the hiring manager. We set up a call and I spoke with the hiring manager about two days later. He asked about my background, and then asked a number of job-specific questions (i.e. familiarity with financial models, financial analysis, etc.). After the call, I was informed that I would hear back in the next few days regarding my continued candidacy for the position regardless of the decision.

Another week passed before I received a follow-up call, but I was then asked to come on-site for a series of 1-on-1 interviews with 2 managers and the hiring director. Each interview lasted about 30 minutes, and afterwards I was informed that I would hear back in a couple of days once the managers and the director had a chance to discuss how each interview went.

Finally, after another week of waiting, Walgreens asked if I could provide a list of references. They asked for at least three individuals they could contact, and then proceeded to email them a questionnaire about our work history together. After a few more days, the initial recruiter called back and informed me that Walgreens would be extending an offer of employment to me.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked what key metrics on a Profit and Loss statement I would regard as most important if Walgreens were considering expanding certain retail locations into the refrigerated goods, fruits, vegetables, and bakery retail space.   Answer Question
Yes, I was able to negotiate a higher base salary because I had another competing offer in hand. I also negotiated on vacation days for the current year because I was informed that new hires receive 0 vacation days until the start of the next calendar year (Note: this is likely going away beginning Jan 1, 2014 as Walgreens is switching to an accrual based PTO program).