Walgreens

Average Difficulty
66 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Service Clerk

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Walgreens in July 2010.

Interview Details – You apply on the website, where you provide your basic information as well as take a (very long) personality test. One of those where a statement is provided and you have to choose whether you agree with it or not. (i.e. "Stealing is wrong", "agree/disagree/not sure".)
After that, you had to go into the store to use their PC to do a skills test. This stayed the same throughout my time there, though it may be different now. The skills test differed based on which job interests you expressed during the initial application - I had indicated service clerk, photo, and pharmacy technician, so I got a pretty lengthy test consisting of mental math, reading photo labels, and reading medication labels. I think the testing process is a bit more robust now with videos and whatnot, mine just had still images.

After completing the application and skills test, I received a phone call a few days later asking for an interview. It was my first interview for my first job, so I was a bit nervous. I was given a time to show up , and then I walked into the store, where I asked the clerk on duty to summon the manager. The manager then led me into the office, where the interview took place. It was just me and the store manager, though other managers went in and out of the office while my interview was being conducted.

It was also a long time ago, so most of the questions escape me. I do remember a few:

"Tell me about yourself."
"Do you have any retail experience?"
"How would you deal with an irate customer?"

When the interview concluded, the manager told me that I would have to take a drug test, and I would receive a phone call the same day with a decision (conditional on passing the drug test). I did, and was offered the job.

Came in on my start day and did the usual paperwork. It will probably be explained in the interview, but you should wear a blue (exact shade not important) shirt and black pants., as well as a tie if you identify as male. They used to have company uniforms, but not anymore.

Interview Question – How would you deal with an irate customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no salary negotiation, the payscale is fixed, based on position, with differences between different geographic areas (i.e. a clerk in NYC will be paid more than a clerk in North Dakota).

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Walgreens in August 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online, I got a call to set up an initial interview and a skills assessment test.

I went to the store and met with the assistant manager who then led me to a computer to take the skills test. The test is really easy just basic questions about counting out change and reading coupons, simple stuff like that.

Then I had an interview with the general manager. I was asked mostly situational interview questions. So be ready with examples! After, she asked when I was availabe to work.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to work in a team.   View Answer

Norton, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Walgreens in March 2008.

Interview Details – I was interviewed on the phone and then went into the store to be interviewed by the general manager. I was hired on the spot and then completed a drug screening at a separate location.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a difficult customer?   View Answers (2)

Gladstone, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walgreens in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was just called in, forgot I even applied there, they asked me to come in that friday for an interview, I walked in asked for the manager he came right out, shook my hand took me to the back office and interviewed me, he asked me a few questions but pretty much said he was getting a good vibe from me and I had retail experience so he felt I would be a good fit for his team.

Interview Question – There really weren't any hard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – He asked how much I was making at my then current job ($8.90 an hour and only like 25 hours a week), he offered me 30+ hours a week at $9.00 with yearly cost of living raises, and yeah I accepted.

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and interviewed at Walgreens.

Interview Details – I came in for an interview. The question was simple.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Henderson, NV

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Walgreens in June 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online, the assistant manager called me in for an interview, left a message, and when I called her back not even two minutes after she did, she did not answer, even when I requested her over the phone to schedule said appointment. I had to go to the store and schedule it in person, to which she was very angry, even after I explained that no one had answered to set up an interview.

I went in the day after and answered the same basic questions of when I was available, what my expected wage was, can I lift over 30 lbs, do I know how to use a computer. The whole thing lasted about 20 minutes along with my extra questions about the dress code. She told me to wait until that Monday and call back as she will have made her decision by then.

I did call back and she offered me the job right then and there over the phone. She then asked me to come back and pick up some forms for a drug test, and that I couldn't start until they got the results back from the drug test and background check.

Interview Question – Can you operate a computer?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – The only negotiations were about my hours. My schooling gives me odd hours for classes, sprawled throughout the week, and I had to remind my manager of what days and hours I was available, just to clarify.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walgreens in October 2012.

Interview Details – First one would apply online and complete the first part (personal information, work experience, etc.).
Then one would go in the nearest Walgreens that is located near him or her and complete the part two (more personal information and a two-part test that is about work scenarios and how would you approach them).

If you passed the multiple choice test as aforementioned, then the manager will give you a call to schedule an interview.

At the interview, the manager will ask specific questions regarding work experiences, how have you worked in (any) team (school, sports, work, experiences, etc.), and other questions such as why would you work for Walgreens. During the interview, it is as if there are multiple parts. First the manager will ask for an introduction to who are you, then ask questions, the briefly give some informational facts about Walgreens, then allow you to ask questions, and finally ask you some more questions. All while he or she may take some notes.

If you get in, he will tell you on the spot or say that he will give you a call back. A good indicator that you passed is if he or she asks about your schedule and availability.

Interview Question – "Please give me the best experience you had in any cooperative task that involved teamwork."

I'm not sure why that caught me off guard, as many scenario questions dealt with teamwork, but I guess I wasn't prepared as I thought I was.
  Answer Question

Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Walgreens in September 2012.

Interview Details – Easy as pie, I was hired after talking with the manager for 10 minutes, even though I had no experience. The staff was really friendly and laid back. So just be yourself and you'll be fine.

Interview Question – They were all simple, and straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – He asked me in the first interview what I was looking for as far as wage, and I stupidly said minimum wage ($8.25). I feel that if I had said a little higher I would have gotten it. just remember that it doesn't hurt to ask.

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Walgreens in September 2012.

Interview Details – I completed my application online and then I went in to take the skill assessment in the store. After I was done I left my name and number with one of the managers. He told me to call and speak with ---- who was in charge of hiring the next day. I called and he said that he will look over my application and give me a call back in two hours and if he didn't he said to just call him. I had to call him and he told me to come in that afternoon. The employees were friendly an helpful but they were busy and the interview was short and to the point. There were six behavioral questions. I can't quite remember them all. He said he will give me a call back because there were several other interviews and so I waited and he called back two hours later and told me to do a drug test and we went over my availability.

Interview Question – Think of a time when you had to tell a team member no. Why did you and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had no experience but I was offered more than what Target offered me. No negotiating was done.

Nashville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Walgreens in June 2012.

Interview Details – The way to start is to apply online. Once you finish the easy stuff, you'll have to go into the store, where you'll take the skills test on the computer. Make sure your schedule is clear for AT LEAST an hour - this can take a long time. The store manager was there when I came in, and she offered to interview me immediately. I can't say it was very difficult - she seemed very inexperienced and a little bit unprofessional, but nice nevertheless - but hopefully it's different at other stores. She told me I needed to take a drug test, recommended a place to go, and told me we'd talk about my starting salary once that went through. Now comes the worst part - the waiting. I've talked to other employees and they've all said that the waiting process is a pain. I waited about a month before I heard back, which was very inconvenient, unprofessional, and irritating. I got the call, though, on a Saturday, and was asked to start working on Monday. And here comes the second worst part - TRAINING. It's like ten plus hours sitting in front of the computer going through training videos, which is just annoying. I was able to shadow the cashier up front for a while, and they even let me practice checking people out. It's honestly doesn't take a lot of getting used to this job; once you learn where everything is and how to use the new register (which were installed literally the week after I started), everything should come easily.

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question