Walmart Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkinsville, KY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart (Hopkinsville, KY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was base off STARS platform. The Ops manager, HR Manager, and AGM wanted specific examples of how the candidate resolved operational situations. The interview questions were concise and very effective according to area manager opportunity. The interviewers were very nice and seem very concern with their associates well being. The managers were well mannered and very professional. The process will run smoothly as long you are prepared to explain specific examples of how you execute operational duties and convey policies to your employees at pervius job experiences. Overall a great interview experience and I believe I know the expectations they are looking for in an area manager at Walmart Distribution Center.

Interview Questions

• Give an specific operational task you had to rely to your associates to complete?   Answer Question
  • What were that looking for in an area manager?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Very conversational. Almost laid back. One on one interview. Followed by online application. Invited to come tour the facility, and conducted another face to face. At that time, an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to facilitate change...   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very strict on salary offer. Was still able to negotiate to the higher end of the initial pay scale.

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online and received a call from one of the HR managers to set up an interview. Interview was with 2 HR managers and included around 9 situation based questions. Followed all suggestions I found online and used the STAR format to answer. Was told I would hear next week the results. I received a call the next day setting up a "final" interview. It was a very similar interview using similar questions, however this time it was with the general manager and assistant general manager. Both interviews were very tough and would have been devastating without studying and practice. Even with all the prep I found them both very difficult, though everyone involved was friendly.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you had to influence a group to adapt to a change in operational procedures. Were you met with any resistance and how did you overcome it? Please be specific.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Lunas, NM

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Walmart (Los Lunas, NM) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied on-line. Got a call from the Wal-Mart DC at Los Lunas, NM. The interview a 3-on-1. 9 difficult questions on a STAR behavioral and analytical format were asked.

Interview Questions

• Did you education grow at work? Tell us why- how did your education helped others? A simple "no" or "yes" is not good enough. And then they asked questions about drugs...   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Walmart.

Interview

There were 2 interviews for me to become a manager. I have had numerous interviews in my time with Walmart and each of the questions boils down to 3 things they are looking for. 1) Give a specific example of the situation the question is asking about, don't be general or vague. 2) Give a detailed accounting of your role in the situation. 3) Provide a resolution as a result of your role in the situation.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you had to do a difficult task because it was the most ethical thing to do.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckeye, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart (Buckeye, AZ).

Interview

There will be at least two interviews sometimes 3. The first with HR manager, then with a panel of ops or assistant General manager or general manager. There will usually be almost a week in between interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a problem with a co-worker and how did you resolve the situation.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

Interview

Applied online, initial process took about 6 weeks. They ask a lot of behavioral questions and refrain from asking anything off of the script they are given. Does not allow the interviewer to really get to know who you are, what your accomplishments are, and what your goals are. Despite being awarded a position, the whole process seems very biased.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with an integrity related situation.   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

Interview

Arrived at DC, met with 2 Ops managers, both were very cool and laid back. They both ask you questions. After them, you have one with the General Manager, AGM, and Human Resource Manager, all in the same room. Same questions pretty much. Everyone was cool and jolly.

Tell me about yourself
    Why do you want to work for Wal-Mart?
    Tell me about a time that you participated in a team, what was your role?
    Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who wasn't doing his/her fair share of the work. What did you do and what was the outcome?
    Give me an example of a time when you took the time to share a co-worker's or supervisor's achievements with other?
    Tell me about a time that you didn't work well with a supervisor. What was the outcome and how would you have changed the outcome?
    Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?
    Tell me about a time that you helped someone.
    Tell me about a time that you misjudged a person.
    How do you get along with older (younger) co-workers?
    Under which situation you need to motivate other members?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. It sets the stage for the rest of the interview   1 Answer

Negotiation

Just starting out it's $45000, I'm content with that. You'll also get free stocks given to you after a year and you'll get a yearly bonus also. Bonus is around $5000, and stocks are $8000 (you can't cash in the stock until 5 years later though)

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart (Gainesville, FL).

Interview

Applied online. Got a call from HR to set up a phone interview the following week. They called me seven minutes after the set time. The lead manager and two other managers we're on the phone. All we're friendly, professional, and explained everything about the interview clearly. Each asked three situational questions for a total of nine. After that they ask if you have any questions for them. They thank you for your time. In all it took about 15-20 minutes.

Question examples:
    -Describe a time when you had to influence a group to support a significant change in a work process.
    -Describe how you would disipline a employee that has refused to do a task you had given.
    -Describe what you would do if an employee was underpreforming at their job and what you would do to correct it.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult or unexpected, but its a phone interview so it can throw your interview skill off.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shelby, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart (Shelby, NC) in February 2013.

Interview

The hire process is fairly simple. Once you apply for the job and are considered a good candidate, you will receive an email from one of the Ops managers from the distribution center. The email will set up a phone interview with a panel of 5 or more senior management team members. If you pass the 1st phone interview you will be asked to come into the facility for a walk though and a face-2-face interview with another panel of management. At this point you are probably one of 3 candidates and will be notified within a week if you are the right candidate for the job.

Interview Questions

• If you have prior management experience, the questions should be a breeze. There are really no surprised questions. They are straight forward behavioral based questions. You will be ask 9 questions from the 1st phone interview and another 9 during the face-2-face. Some of the questions may be repeated. You will need to explained specific situations from you're management experience. Take your time and answer the questions with confidence. Do not rush. And be sure to show how safety has been a huge part of your culture.   Answer Question