Walmart

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Area Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – There were 2 interviews for me to become a manager. I have had numerous interviews in my time with Walmart and each of the questions boils down to 3 things they are looking for. 1) Give a specific example of the situation the question is asking about, don't be general or vague. 2) Give a detailed accounting of your role in the situation. 3) Provide a resolution as a result of your role in the situation.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you had to do a difficult task because it was the most ethical thing to do.   View Answer

Buckeye, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – There will be at least two interviews sometimes 3. The first with HR manager, then with a panel of ops or assistant General manager or general manager. There will usually be almost a week in between interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had a problem with a co-worker and how did you resolve the situation.   Answer Question

Shelby, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in February 2013.

Interview Details – The hire process is fairly simple. Once you apply for the job and are considered a good candidate, you will receive an email from one of the Ops managers from the distribution center. The email will set up a phone interview with a panel of 5 or more senior management team members. If you pass the 1st phone interview you will be asked to come into the facility for a walk though and a face-2-face interview with another panel of management. At this point you are probably one of 3 candidates and will be notified within a week if you are the right candidate for the job.

Interview Question – If you have prior management experience, the questions should be a breeze. There are really no surprised questions. They are straight forward behavioral based questions. You will be ask 9 questions from the 1st phone interview and another 9 during the face-2-face. Some of the questions may be repeated. You will need to explained specific situations from you're management experience. Take your time and answer the questions with confidence. Do not rush. And be sure to show how safety has been a huge part of your culture.   Answer Question

Area Manager

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Applied online, initial process took about 6 weeks. They ask a lot of behavioral questions and refrain from asking anything off of the script they are given. Does not allow the interviewer to really get to know who you are, what your accomplishments are, and what your goals are. Despite being awarded a position, the whole process seems very biased.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to deal with an integrity related situation.   View Answer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Arrived at DC, met with 2 Ops managers, both were very cool and laid back. They both ask you questions. After them, you have one with the General Manager, AGM, and Human Resource Manager, all in the same room. Same questions pretty much. Everyone was cool and jolly.

Tell me about yourself
Why do you want to work for Wal-Mart?
Tell me about a time that you participated in a team, what was your role?
Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who wasn't doing his/her fair share of the work. What did you do and what was the outcome?
Give me an example of a time when you took the time to share a co-worker's or supervisor's achievements with other?
Tell me about a time that you didn't work well with a supervisor. What was the outcome and how would you have changed the outcome?
Have you worked with someone you didn't like? If so, how did you handle it?
Tell me about a time that you helped someone.
Tell me about a time that you misjudged a person.
How do you get along with older (younger) co-workers?
Under which situation you need to motivate other members?

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. It sets the stage for the rest of the interview   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Just starting out it's $45000, I'm content with that. You'll also get free stocks given to you after a year and you'll get a yearly bonus also. Bonus is around $5000, and stocks are $8000 (you can't cash in the stock until 5 years later though)

Tomah, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in September 2009.

Interview Details – Three interview process that includes situational based questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time in which you had to deal with conflicting direction from two more senior managers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typical

Gainesville, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call from HR to set up a phone interview the following week. They called me seven minutes after the set time. The lead manager and two other managers we're on the phone. All we're friendly, professional, and explained everything about the interview clearly. Each asked three situational questions for a total of nine. After that they ask if you have any questions for them. They thank you for your time. In all it took about 15-20 minutes.

Question examples:
-Describe a time when you had to influence a group to support a significant change in a work process.
-Describe how you would disipline a employee that has refused to do a task you had given.
-Describe what you would do if an employee was underpreforming at their job and what you would do to correct it.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected, but its a phone interview so it can throw your interview skill off.   Answer Question

Area Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Apply online, make sure to include a resume. The interview questions will mirror the job qualifications. Make sure to write down about 4 real life examples using the SHARE model for each job qualification and take them with you to the interview.

Interview Question – All of the questions are difficult if you did not prep.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not very interactive

Very Difficult Interview

Area Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online through the Careers portal, about 2 weeks later got a call to set up an initial screening interview the following week. Phone interview with HR, Operations Manager, and a Maintenance Manager. This interview would have been crushing if I hadn't done some research here as well as working out through some of these situations previously. All questions need to be answered in STAR format, give SPECIFIC examples.

I had the basic qualifications, but didn't have the preferred technical experience requested. Was told that I would hear back within a few days with a phone call or message from the automated system. From past interview experience Wal-Mart will usually let you know right away at the screening interview as to whether or not you will proceed.

Describe a way you updated your skills to handle current work processes
Describe the steps you have taken to correct a maintenance or operational issue.

Describe a time when you were responsible for training another person.

Describe a time when you had to manage a project with multiple priorities.

Describe the steps you have taken to achieve a high level of customer service.

Describe steps you have taken to correct a deficiency in your area of responsibility.

Discuss an important business decision you have made.

Interview Question – Discuss a work plan that you implemented that had to be modified. How was it modified, and what was the result?   Answer Question

Area Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Application online via walmart careers. Mini behavioral based assessment online. If completed successfully, invited to interview. Two interview sessions, first with multi-department operation managers and second with General and HR manager. Both via phone

Questions cover core competencies of management, most of which can be found here on Glassdoor.

If completed successfully, offer is extended.

*Do your due diligence with researching the company moral, values, and similar interview processes. Formulate answers using the STAR method.

Interview Question – Describe the steps you have taken to ensure your organization delivered a high level of customer service.
Describe a recent job related situation where you had to make an important business decision
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiation. Offer generally relative to the area.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!