Walmart

Average Difficulty
129 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Spring Lake, NC

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart in June 2014.

Interview Details – For me the interview process was fairly easy, but I studied everything that I could about panel interviews and The STAR method for answering situational questions. I went to a job fair and gave my resume to one of the managers at their table. He asked me a few questions, made some notes and we shook hands. I didn't expect to hear from them because I don't have a degree. About a week or so later I received a call to set up an interview for the following week. When I got to the store to interview, there were 29 other candidates, so I was sure I wouldn't be hired. We were all veterans or about to be. We watched a quick video, filled out an application and waited to be seen. They gave some of us a tour of the store we were at, Spring Lake, NC. While some of us were touring, others were doing the panel interview. Once I was called in for the interview, there were 3 managers waiting. We shook hands, sat down and they explained how the process would work. One of them asked about 6 questions that basically wanted to determine how I have dealt with work related challenges in the past. They have to be situations that pertain to you, not a team or your store, you and how you handled it. They scored my answers while I spoke and showed no emotion. I was a bit nervous because I normally get a smile or some form of conversation. After they questioned me, they asked if I had any questions. I asked a couple and they suddenly became nice again and we talked for a few minutes. I felt better. We shook hands and that was it. I received a call three weeks later with an offer and information on my next steps.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where the integrity of your staff members came into question. What was the issue, was there a valid reason to question their integrity, how did you handle it and what was the outcome (something like that).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They give you an offer based on experience and you accept or decline.

Visalia, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Walmart in March 2013.

Interview Details – It was a hiring location off site from a store. We toured the store first then walked over to the location where we interviewed on a panel. Two person panels and two panels later, we all were dismissed for the day and sent home. After about 3 days, they contacted me to make an offer.

Interview Question – The questions were experience based and you needed to use examples of how you completed the tasks in prior companies   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't a negotiation, it was a letter with a detailed offer.

Biloxi, MS

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in April 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 10 behavorial questions, lasted approximately 1 hour. Harmless! Went on to the drug screen, then the background check. From there will be in AMT training for 6 weeks.

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – I had 3 interviews. The first was a phone interview mostly behavioral based questions. The second interview was with the market human resources manager, and the third was with the store manager I would be working with. All one-on-one interview. First interview was the longest at about an hour long.

Interview Question – how have you participated in merchandising and to what benefit did it give to the (store)?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. they offer and you can accept or decline

Assistant Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – I started interviewing for a salaried position in January and began pushing my resume out to market human resources managers. They were all punctual with responses and enthusiastic to meet me and interview me. I only interviewed with three stores and was offered 2/3 of the stores. I accepted a position and am going to the store after a 6 week training class.

Interview Question – Ethics/Compliance   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – very orderly, they were very particular on who and what they wanted and how they wanted it. this is pretty much the gyst of the process that was practiced. that is all that I can think of now.

Interview Question – why you   View Answer

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – I was contacted by phone and requested to interview. I spoke with two individuals who took turns asking questions related to the competencies for the job. I was contacted two hours after my interview and asked if I was willing to relocated. About a week later I was offered a job. I asked to give two week notice to my current employer and they allowed 1.5 weeks.

Interview Question – Asked to use the STAR method to describe each of these areas:

Judgment: Make Informed Judgments
Uses relevant business metrics, analyses, and reports to measure, monitor, and improve performance. Identifies and applies sound, fact-based criteria in setting priorities and making decisions. Looks beyond symptoms to determine the root causes of problems, and identify and implement applicable solutions. Integrates knowledge and expertise in making fact-based recommendations and decisions.

Customer/Member Centered: Ensure Customer Member Centered Performance
Analyzes data and information, and develops plans to exceed Customer/Member expectations. Sponsors initiatives and practices that provide Customer/Members with desired products, services, and experiences and that grow the business. Ensures Customer/Members receive the level of service that builds their trust and confidence. Removes barriers to delivering Customer/Member value, service, and support.

Execution and Results: Ensure Execution and Achieve Results
Conveys a sense of urgency in ways that motivate others to complete responsibilities and achieve goals. Pursues the achievement and alignment of measurable and meaningful goals. Leverages resources and talent to achieve business goals. Ensures others are held accountable for achieving expected results. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, and projects to ensure accomplishment of results. Monitors progress of others and redirects efforts when goals change or results are not met.

Planning and Improvement: Ensure Planning and Improvement
Sets clear expectations, performance measures, and goals, and helps others do the same. Plans for and ensures others have the information, resources, implementation time, and talent needed to accomplish business initiatives. Identifies and plans for improvement in performance using key business metrics.

Influence and Communicate: Build and Influence Team
Develops and communicates logical, convincing reasons, including lessons learned, to build support for one’s viewpoints and actions. Involves others in decisions and plans that affect them, when appropriate. Recognizes and rewards team accomplishments, celebrating team and organizational success. Ensures business priorities, change initiatives, and organizational information are communicated in clear and compelling ways. Promotes the exchange of diverse experiences and ideas within own organization.

Talent: Manage and Leverage Talent
Develops talent plans for own organization targeted at increasing effectiveness, building diversity, and enhancing bench strength. Manages roles, assignments, and developmental opportunities to maximize organizational performance. Ensures people processes (for example: selection, development, performance evaluation) lead to effective Associate performance and desired results throughout own organization. Monitors Associate performance and provides constructive feedback that is specific, honest, accurate, and timely. Provides learning opportunities, guidance, and support in the development of Associates.

Ethics and Compliance: Ensure Ethics and Compliance
Actively communicates, trains and guides Associates on compliance with policies and procedures. Maintains an environment that promotes and reinforces the highest standards of integrity and ethics. Anticipates potential issues and takes action to enhance compliance.

Adaptability: Adapt and Learn
Demonstrates creativity and strength in the face of change, obstacles, or adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities. Seeks exposure to new ideas and perspectives. Identifies and takes steps to improve adaptability and continuous learning capabilities in own organization.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Only thing to negotiate was PTO. Their salary is set in stone.

Milwaukee, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Interviewed and didn't hear back for over a month then retrieved an offer. Interviewed once, impossible to tell if you were the right candidate or organization you want to work for.

Interview Question – Merchandising questions - especially if you have never done it before.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Takes a long time to be hired as a manager, so don't apply unless you're willing to wait. It takes 3 interviews, 1 with a Store Manager and 2 with HR. I applied in March of 2008, had my first interview in June and started in November. I never met a single person from the company until the day I started work. Everything was done over the phone.

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview and then went in for a face to face interview with the store manager and human resource manager. They took turns asking a series of about ten questions based on the job competencies. Interview was behavioral based so have a scenario for each competency.

Interview Question – How do you maintain a high ethical standard?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Walmart

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart Videos

Walmart – Why Work for Us?

Our Businesses Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. And every division, business unit and department that makes up Walmart is committed to using our company’s size and scale to make the biggest… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart Assistant Manager interview questions and advice. All 129 interview reviews posted anonymously by Walmart employees and interview candidates.