Walmart

Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.9

138 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Manager Interview

Interview process could be a long process, depending upon how quickly the positions need to be filled. The interview process typically consists of at least one interview with either the store manager or the market human resource manager, and then a follow up call.

Interview Questions
  • The questions are your typical situational interview type of questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Assistant Manager Interview

It was a tough interview. You need to do your homework on the company. Dress professional. Please be on time and ask questions about the opportunity as well so they can see you are interested

Interview Questions
    • What are your procedures for handling attendance issued   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

submitted it online and called them, they called back with few questions about location and hours. then asked me to go to their office for the formal talk. there wasn't anything specific or difficult. just wanted to make sure i can handle the job.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

I applied on line, was called with in a week to have a phone interview with one of the co-managers. Phone interview lasted about a half an hour. I was called two weeks later for another interview this one was in person at the store. The interview was with the Store Manager and the Asset Protection Manager. There was a series of questions that they read from. The more detailed you were the better that you answered the question. I then had a phone conversation with the Market Human Resource Manager. I had to do a background check and pre employment drug screen. All of this probably took
    about a month. Also when you fill out the application on line there is an assessment test that you have to take and if you don't pass that you will not be interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are pre printed and they can choose one from a list of two. It is broken down by competencies that you need to show that you can do to be able to do the job.   Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate.

Assistant Manager Interview

they ask you a lot of competency based questions, be honest, have and answer and an example. The manager you interview with may also ask you some questions off their pre scripted sheet so me ready for anything. They want consistent reliable people

Interview Questions
    • again the questions are situational, but be sure to have a lot of examples ready with very specific details   Answer Question
    drug test, signing some papers not really any negotiations.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

I had 3 interviews. The first was a phone interview mostly behavioral based questions. The second interview was with the market human resources manager, and the third was with the store manager I would be working with. All one-on-one interview. First interview was the longest at about an hour long.

Interview Questions
    • how have you participated in merchandising and to what benefit did it give to the (store)?   Answer Question
    no negotiation. they offer and you can accept or decline

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Walmart.

very orderly, they were very particular on who and what they wanted and how they wanted it. this is pretty much the gyst of the process that was practiced. that is all that I can think of now.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

I started interviewing for a salaried position in January and began pushing my resume out to market human resources managers. They were all punctual with responses and enthusiastic to meet me and interview me. I only interviewed with three stores and was offered 2/3 of the stores. I accepted a position and am going to the store after a 6 week training class.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Lake, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Lake, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart in June 2014.

For me the interview process was fairly easy, but I studied everything that I could about panel interviews and The STAR method for answering situational questions. I went to a job fair and gave my resume to one of the managers at their table. He asked me a few questions, made some notes and we shook hands. I didn't expect to hear from them because I don't have a degree. About a week or so later I received a call to set up an interview for the following week. When I got to the store to interview, there were 29 other candidates, so I was sure I wouldn't be hired. We were all veterans or about to be. We watched a quick video, filled out an application and waited to be seen. They gave some of us a tour of the store we were at, Spring Lake, NC. While some of us were touring, others were doing the panel interview. Once I was called in for the interview, there were 3 managers waiting. We shook hands, sat down and they explained how the process would work. One of them asked about 6 questions that basically wanted to determine how I have dealt with work related challenges in the past. They have to be situations that pertain to you, not a team or your store, you and how you handled it. They scored my answers while I spoke and showed no emotion. I was a bit nervous because I normally get a smile or some form of conversation. After they questioned me, they asked if I had any questions. I asked a couple and they suddenly became nice again and we talked for a few minutes. I felt better. We shook hands and that was it. I received a call three weeks later with an offer and information on my next steps.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where the integrity of your staff members came into question. What was the issue, was there a valid reason to question their integrity, how did you handle it and what was the outcome (something like that).   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They give you an offer based on experience and you accept or decline.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

I was contacted by phone and requested to interview. I spoke with two individuals who took turns asking questions related to the competencies for the job. I was contacted two hours after my interview and asked if I was willing to relocated. About a week later I was offered a job. I asked to give two week notice to my current employer and they allowed 1.5 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to use the STAR method to describe each of these areas:

Judgment: Make Informed Judgments
      Uses relevant business metrics, analyses, and reports to measure, monitor, and improve performance. Identifies and applies sound, fact-based criteria in setting priorities and making decisions. Looks beyond symptoms to determine the root causes of problems, and identify and implement applicable solutions. Integrates knowledge and expertise in making fact-based recommendations and decisions.

Customer/Member Centered: Ensure Customer Member Centered Performance
      Analyzes data and information, and develops plans to exceed Customer/Member expectations. Sponsors initiatives and practices that provide Customer/Members with desired products, services, and experiences and that grow the business. Ensures Customer/Members receive the level of service that builds their trust and confidence. Removes barriers to delivering Customer/Member value, service, and support.

Execution and Results: Ensure Execution and Achieve Results
      Conveys a sense of urgency in ways that motivate others to complete responsibilities and achieve goals. Pursues the achievement and alignment of measurable and meaningful goals. Leverages resources and talent to achieve business goals. Ensures others are held accountable for achieving expected results. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, and projects to ensure accomplishment of results. Monitors progress of others and redirects efforts when goals change or results are not met.

Planning and Improvement: Ensure Planning and Improvement
      Sets clear expectations, performance measures, and goals, and helps others do the same. Plans for and ensures others have the information, resources, implementation time, and talent needed to accomplish business initiatives. Identifies and plans for improvement in performance using key business metrics.

Influence and Communicate: Build and Influence Team
      Develops and communicates logical, convincing reasons, including lessons learned, to build support for one’s viewpoints and actions. Involves others in decisions and plans that affect them, when appropriate. Recognizes and rewards team accomplishments, celebrating team and organizational success. Ensures business priorities, change initiatives, and organizational information are communicated in clear and compelling ways. Promotes the exchange of diverse experiences and ideas within own organization.

Talent: Manage and Leverage Talent
      Develops talent plans for own organization targeted at increasing effectiveness, building diversity, and enhancing bench strength. Manages roles, assignments, and developmental opportunities to maximize organizational performance. Ensures people processes (for example: selection, development, performance evaluation) lead to effective Associate performance and desired results throughout own organization. Monitors Associate performance and provides constructive feedback that is specific, honest, accurate, and timely. Provides learning opportunities, guidance, and support in the development of Associates.

Ethics and Compliance: Ensure Ethics and Compliance
      Actively communicates, trains and guides Associates on compliance with policies and procedures. Maintains an environment that promotes and reinforces the highest standards of integrity and ethics. Anticipates potential issues and takes action to enhance compliance.

Adaptability: Adapt and Learn
      Demonstrates creativity and strength in the face of change, obstacles, or adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities. Seeks exposure to new ideas and perspectives. Identifies and takes steps to improve adaptability and continuous learning capabilities in own organization.

Answer Question
    Only thing to negotiate was PTO. Their salary is set in stone.