Walmart

Getting the Interview

118 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the store manager. She asked basic "What if" questions. The key of the interview was to relate your job experience/or situations to her questions.

Veradale, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart in January 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by several different stores. My first interview was scheduled with a store manager at a neighboring store. My second interview was scheduled with the store manager of the store I was being interviewed for. The market managers' assistant and the market human resources manager handle most of the paperwork as well as the details side of the process.

Interview Question – The questions that Walmart asks are very retail sales industry standard questions, but one question is typically 5 or more questions (who, what, when, where, why, how, etc.). As a result, I would highly recommend bringing a legal pad and fresh pen inside a professional leather binder so that you can write down the questions as they ask them. In doing so, you can stall a little and give yourself time to process and formulate your response.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Walmart formulates your salary based on a credit system. As a result, I would encourage you to provide them with as detailed a resume as possible to ensure that you get "credit" for all of your education/professional experiences.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Talked with a current employee at a career fair. She talked to me about the position, and I signed up for an interview the next day. Went in for an interview and after that was offered to continue to do a job shadow at the local company.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in February 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted by Walmart recruiter who was friendly and after initial phone interview set me up for a panel interview. The panel interview was very disorganized and rushed. There was very little time to expound on your skills and experience as they consistently told you time was short. Only 2 out of the probably 10 interviewers even smiled and you were treated like cattle going into a slaughter as there was alot of other interviewees and groups before and after your group. We were told we were the guinea pigs, I assume this type of interviewing was new?? You only had 3 questions to answer from a list that they had to abide by. I even had the same question asked by the 2nd set of panel interviewers that I had asked by the first. On a positive note there were store managers there that you could interact and ask questions of while waiting for your interviews. The process took 3 1/2hrs. Overall it was a VERY impersonal and cold interviewing set up. I have had alot of interviews in my 30 years of management, this was the worst experience I have had.

Interview Question – - Describe a time when you had to influence a group on a significant change?
- How do you plan and what processes do you use to prepare for future staffing needs?
- Describe a time when you had to remove an obstacle to achieve a goal?
- Describe a time when you had to make an important business decision?
- Why Walmart?
  Answer Question

Clinton Township, MI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Walmart in March 2009.

Interview Details – Ask one of tree questions on a piece of paper. Don't be nervous answer truth

Interview Question – What are you most difficult traits that you need to work on.   View Answer

Lansing, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart in July 2011.

Interview Details – 3 levels of interviews. They ask basic questions about past experiences. Simple for anyone that went to college and can answer a multitude of questions at fast pace. It is fairly simple though. You dont need to have any external retail experience

Interview Question – How would you consider improving the inventory management process?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Bentonville, AR

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Walmart in April 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process involved a complete background check and a lot of normal questions like what size stores have I managed, how many people at each, what was the revenue and profit margins, what backend systems have I worked with. Usual stuff. Also questions on my expected pay and benefits, as well as expectations on work hours.

Interview Question – Probably answering the work hours - not sure what they expect.   Answer Question

Springfield, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by phone by a Shift Manager to set up interview time for later that day. The interview was done over the phone and lasted about 30 minutes. The questions were difficult but not unreasonable and I ws given plenty of time to answer each question. I was getting promoted internally. I was contacted the next afternoon and offered the position.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you came up with a plan of action to fix a business problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You don't negotiate. There is a base salary for an Assistant manager in training.

Tucson, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart in November 2009.

Interview Details – I was a Deli Supervisor at the time and was called for only one interview but I have heard it changed they had a store manager and a market assistant interview me asked several questions

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – just called and was sent to the program

Okeechobee, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Walmart in March 2008.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview and that was it. It was a phone interview with a co manager of another store and the HR manager called me a few days later and let me know that I received the position. I was extremely excited at first until I realized that world of crap I got my self into.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you failed at a plan. How did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. Everyone that was with the company started off the same

Interviews for Top Jobs at Walmart