Walmart Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2014

62 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart.

They will hire about anybody with the degree because of the high turnover. You can work your way up starting up as a regular part time associate. As long as you work like there is no tomorrow.

Interview Questions
  • no unexpected questions. STAR interview. All predictable: customer service and leadership   View Answer
no negotiations. everybody starts at the same rate.

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

I was contacted by a recruiter out of Chicago and did several phone interviews before being invited to a local interview conducted by a panel of managers. The managers didn't seem to care about being there and seemed to ask questions in a perfunctory, disinterested manner. This should have been my first clue.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked were very basic behavior based questions. I felt they were very generic and didn't really dig that much into my experiences and qualities.   View Answer
    I would negotiate for as much as possible because they will treat you as if they "bought" you and can do whatever they want with you

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Walmart in August 2014.

I applied externally and have to say that it was a pleasant experience. Be prepared to answer situational questions involving retail answers. Come dressed professionally in slack for a man or dress for a lady. Most of all my best advise to anyone interviewing is research the company and be yourself.

Interview Questions
    • I think they were all equally on the same plain but not really that difficult if you're prepared.   Answer Question
    No negotiation you take what is offered or you do not take the position.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Walmart in August 2014.

The process was very quick and enjoyable. I spoke with a recruiter that contacted me. I then had an interview set up for the following week. The interview I had was with a store manager, then the asset protection, market manager, and HR rep in a panel interview. Long story short I was offered the job and the process was very enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions. There are multiple questions in one so be prepared to listen and answer all of them the first time.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation process hey have a spread sheet they go through.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart in August 2014.

Situational questions. Interview conducted with 3 people. The market MGR, Market HR MGR, and Store Manager. It is a little intimidating sitting in front of 3 people who take turns with questions. There is 5 categories with the hardest an ethical question. Not that ethics is hard but no explanation on how to answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Walmart.

Series of open-ended questions that look for examples of demonstrating strategies. For example: tell me about a time you leveraged your people resources to achieve a business initiative. What resources did you use? What were the challenges you faced and how did you overcome them? How did you ensure goals were met while maintaining integrity and a focus on quality?

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a time you used business metrics to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    As an external you had some negotiating power. They accepted credits for relevant work experience. Internal candidates do not get the same accommodation.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Walmart in May 2014.

I left my resume with them at a job fair with the school I graduated from. I heard back from them approximately two months later. They were very friendly and informative in the interview process. They accommodated the interview to work around my current employer. The only thing I would have liked was to hear back from them even though I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • The question was worded in a way I didn't understand. The basic question was how do you go about accomplishing a task if there is no priority to the order that it gets done.   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

questions are very long, all the care about is that you answer them using the STAR method, listen very carefully first time question is asked then ask them to repeat questions so you have more time to think of an appropriate answer (you will not be docked for this and you will come across a lot smarter with thorough answers)

Interview Questions
    • give an example of a time you had to deal with a controversial situation, what was the situation, who did you involve, how did you go about it, what was the outcome, what information did you use to make a decision what if anything would you do different in the future   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

I went in for an interview for overnight dairy associate for some extra money. The Assistant doing my interview noticed my qualifications and suggested to the market hr manager that I be considered for ASM. The initial interview was just with the assistant. Then I got called back to interview with the Market HR and a group interview with 2 store managers. The entire process after the 2 weeks I waited for the dairy interview, was about 3 weeks. I started an 6 week training program shortly after my offer. The initial salary is 38,000, however you can earn additional salary from being outside walmart and having "hiring credits" I got the first hiring credit that bumped me to 41,800

Interview Questions
    • They are multi-questioned interviews. The only one I recall is What experience can you share where you had to deal with a difficult customer? What was the experience? What was the problem? What tools did you use to resolve the problem? and How did you handle the situation?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart.

panel interviews with simple retail strategies during a hiring event

job experience credit