Walmart Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014

3.1

60 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in August 2014.

I applied externally and have to say that it was a pleasant experience. Be prepared to answer situational questions involving retail answers. Come dressed professionally in slack for a man or dress for a lady. Most of all my best advise to anyone interviewing is research the company and be yourself.

Interview Questions
  • I think they were all equally on the same plain but not really that difficult if you're prepared.   Answer Question
No negotiation you take what is offered or you do not take the position.

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

I was contacted by a recruiter out of Chicago and did several phone interviews before being invited to a local interview conducted by a panel of managers. The managers didn't seem to care about being there and seemed to ask questions in a perfunctory, disinterested manner. This should have been my first clue.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked were very basic behavior based questions. I felt they were very generic and didn't really dig that much into my experiences and qualities.   View Answer
    I would negotiate for as much as possible because they will treat you as if they "bought" you and can do whatever they want with you

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Walmart in August 2014.

The process was very quick and enjoyable. I spoke with a recruiter that contacted me. I then had an interview set up for the following week. The interview I had was with a store manager, then the asset protection, market manager, and HR rep in a panel interview. Long story short I was offered the job and the process was very enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions. There are multiple questions in one so be prepared to listen and answer all of them the first time.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation process hey have a spread sheet they go through.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart in August 2014.

Situational questions. Interview conducted with 3 people. The market MGR, Market HR MGR, and Store Manager. It is a little intimidating sitting in front of 3 people who take turns with questions. There is 5 categories with the hardest an ethical question. Not that ethics is hard but no explanation on how to answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Walmart in June 2013.

I had one phone interview, one personal interview and was hired in approx 10 days. It was an easy process nothing pressuring or difficult except they would not talk money or benefits but rather sent it to you along with your offer letter.

Interview Questions
    There was no ability to negotiate.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Walmart in May 2014.

I left my resume with them at a job fair with the school I graduated from. I heard back from them approximately two months later. They were very friendly and informative in the interview process. They accommodated the interview to work around my current employer. The only thing I would have liked was to hear back from them even though I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • The question was worded in a way I didn't understand. The basic question was how do you go about accomplishing a task if there is no priority to the order that it gets done.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied in-person - interviewed at Walmart in May 2010.

8 week training worked as hourly manager for 3 years before accepting salaried position not offered a good salary even though 'I had previous experience and training in the same field

Interview Questions
    • do you love your family more than walmart?   View Answer
    Um I desearve more money...walmart d\says um no

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Walmart.

Series of open-ended questions that look for examples of demonstrating strategies. For example: tell me about a time you leveraged your people resources to achieve a business initiative. What resources did you use? What were the challenges you faced and how did you overcome them? How did you ensure goals were met while maintaining integrity and a focus on quality?

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a time you used business metrics to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    As an external you had some negotiating power. They accepted credits for relevant work experience. Internal candidates do not get the same accommodation.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Walmart in March 2013.

My original application was online, I had to fill out the normal application for work experience and so on. Then to become a hourly manager you had to complete an assessment test to be considered and then another assessment quiz to work as a salary member of management. The test would let the applicant fall into different hiring tiers. Usually only the first tier was ever looked at but when the pool was low Walmart would look into the 2nd tier. I was called into an interview with the store manager and a shift manager. I was then called by HR and or Market manager to offer the position and accept salary pay. I had to have a drug test and back ground test at this time to finalize job offer. I then went to orientation for a full long day of going over Walmart rules and standards. New assistants and external hires as myself would then be sent to 8 weeks of training in another location. The training was more about customer service then Walmart store information ( in which I already had) so still went to job with out completely understanding my job role. At that point a lot of hands on and learning with experience from day to day.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard giving specific answers through experience. ex. ' tell me about a time you planned and coordinated an event, what were your challenges and what was the outcome."   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in June 2012.

If already employed with walmart, you need a bachelors and need to get in contact with the market HR. If not employed, search online for open positions, (assistant manager trainee) and then contact a shift or store manager at the store you wish to apply. they will be able to pass your info along to the market hr.

Interview Questions
    • The interview is basic behavior. what projects have you worked on, what was the outcome, who did you use as resources.   Answer Question

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!