Walmart Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2014

2.2

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

Recruiting assistant and upper mgt were clear and professional. Waited 2 weeks after submitting resume and was called within a day of my final interview. Company is very organized at the top and the managers are paid well

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Walmart.

The interview process was standard. You are asked to give examples of a time when you handled a difficult situation, and a difficult person. Your work history is touched on, and as long as you can answer basic questions, you'll get to the next step, which is a drug test. If you can past the drug test, and accept the extremely low salary, you'll get hired.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked to give examples of a time when you handled a difficult situation, and a difficult person.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newport, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, TN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

I was asked a bunch of questions that were completely stupid and had nothing to do with me or the job.
    Describe a time when this or that happened. You have no idea which ones they will pick. Most of the questions a normal person would have never had happen anyway. And if they did it is not something you can think of in 2 seconds.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall. All were unexpected. I was asked nothing about when I could work or anything that pertained to the job.   View Answer

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Walmart in April 2014.

The entire interview process took roughly thirty minutes and consisted of three interviews-the first by a department manager, the second by a zone manager, and the third and final one by the store manager. Each interviewer asked about three questions and sometimes they were repeated. It wasn't difficult. Example "Where do you see yourself in five years?" was one that all three asked me.

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time when you had to assist a customer with an issue and explain the step by step process of the resolution." I only had trouble answering because I second guess myself all the time, but there aren't any true "curveball" questions.   View Answer
    There's no negotiation. they pay you whatever a certain departments pay rate is or the job isn't offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart.

Applied under the Veteran programs. Received a call within 3 days. Was only offered part time, minimum wage even with all of my experience and college education.

Interview Questions
    • It was all basic, easy questions pertaining to experience and college education   Answer Question

I can't afford a part time minimum wage job with all of the experience I have. Especially with Bill Simon advertising veterans in management positions in a speech given earlier this month.

Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Walmart in September 2013.

I applied online and a week later received a phone call to set up an appointment. I was there roughly two hours. My first interview was with the zoning manager. She asked many questions and seem like they were all behavioral. It seemed like she kept asking me the same question over and over. I don't know if she didn't like my response or if she was seeing if my answers were consistent. She then informed me that I was going through to the next interview with one of the Assistant Managers and told me not to leave. I waiting an hour and I got to see the manager. He introduced himself and asked me to tell me more about yourself. A question I really hate. I was only with him for one minute and once I mentioned I was going to school the interview stopped. I said I was only going to school two days out of the week so I'm free for every weekend and all the other days. He then asked if he were to call me on my days that I didn't have school to come in at 5:00AM? 8:00PM? etc I would be able to come? I told him yes. He then said he couldn't hire me because my availability. I applied for a part-time position so I thought my school schedule wouldn't be a problem. So I was basically there for two hours only to be told that they didn't want to work around my schedule.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time in which you had to resolve a difficult task. What procedures did you take to resolve the task? What was the specific task? How were you able to tell that you successfully solved this problem?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time where you had to resolve an issue without the guidance of others. How did you solve this issue? What procedures did you follow to solve this issue? How were you able to tell that this issue was resolved?   Answer Question
    • Explain a situation in which you had to accomplish a task with a group? What was the task? In what ways did you accomplish this task? How did you manage your time? Were you successful?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cleveland, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Walmart in April 2013.

I was called in for an interview days after applying in-store. First of all, the interviewer was very unfriendly, which made me feel uncomfortable. This was my first interview ever, and I had no prior job experience, yet they asked me questions as if I had worked before, which completely puzzled me and I struggled to think of some example from school. Due to this, there was a lot of silence, and the interviewer stared at me, clearly bored and unamused. There were 5 questions, all basically asking the same thing; to describe a time I worked with a team. All I could give were horribly mediocre answers from school. Unsurprisingly, I wasn't called back.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you worked with a team, and you were the leader.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Conroe, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conroe, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Walmart in May 2012.

I was really excited as it would be my first job, I was 17 and got called for an interview for the following week. I was then called the following week the day before the interview and told that I had to wait 2 weeks until I was 18 and to call back then because it was too much paperwork. (Unprofessional). I then called when I was 18 and was told to come in the following Monday.

If you know someone that works there, you will get a job. If you get an interview, you will get the job. As long as you can pass a drug test (required no matter what) and a background check (done on all employees). You will get the job. They will ask you some questions that are somewhat difficult but you can relate in some way. Strike up a conversation with the ZMS or the ASM and you will get the job.

I was first interviewed by the ZMS (Zone Manager) for my zone which was the front end manager. She was nice and asked me like 10 questions. Some were hard some were easy. She then said that I would probably get the job. I met with the ASM (Associate Manager) and was asked 3 questions. All were easy and she wasn't even paying attention, she was supposed to ask me more but was busy reading e-mails. (Unprofessional IMO) I was then offered the job. She handed me some papers to sign and then a drug test slip. Then she shook my hand and said "welcome to wal-mart". That was it.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had a difficult situation a group, what were the steps you took to solve it and what was the final outcome.   View Answer
    No negotiation. You get paid what other stores are paying in the area. Usually minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Suffolk, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suffolk, VA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Walmart in March 2011.

I had a one on one interview. They asked about five questions and also asked about two employment gaps that I had. I then filled out background check information and was told to wait for a call for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a project that you worked on and how did you get it done.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vineland, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vineland, NJ

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Walmart in December 2010.

Three part interview with three seperate people in under a half hour. You are given twenty-four hours to go to their doctor to complete a urinalysis, which must be completed or you are barred from employment with the company for one year.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation at work and describe how you handled it, how it turned out, and the final outcome.   Answer Question

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!