Walmart Cashier Associate Interview Questions

2.2

67 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanside, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanside, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart in August 2010.

Application is on the internet. There are NO paper applications. You will need to create a login ID because it is a long process, as you pass each phase. There is a section that will require you answer over 60 questions. If you can't finish in one sitting, that's okay. You can stop, log out, and go back later. It will take you where you left off. If there are positions, and your application is selected, you will be called in for an initial interview. That goes well, there maybe a couple of more interviews. Do NOT try to contact the store to follow up on your application or interview. You will only annoy these people and put your chance of being hired at risk. They are very busy and don't have time for inquiries. Just go back on a regular basis (once a month or so) and find something to update on the application to keep it active.

Interview Questions
  • Be prepared to give examples on how you handled certain situations; how you helped someone you didn't have to, there's too much work but it has to get done by a certain deadline - how did you do it, how were you able to resolve an angry person to remedy the situation. You need give real life examples. They don't have to be work related experiences.   Answer Question
Very limited. I was lucky at the time I was hired because it was more flexible. But pay and availability are part of a regulated corporate structure, so management only have so much at their disposal to offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in May 2010.

I applied online for a Customer Service/Cashier position..Went into the store..had to wait around for the Manager for about 20 minutes..I was interviewed in an area that looked like an employee locker room..
     the manager and I were sitting on some kind of bench while she interviewed me..employees were coming in and out of the area we were in and some of them were even standing there listening to our interview which completely annoyed me..The interview went well and I could tell that the manager liked me and all my experience..I was offered a job in the Jewerly department...which i was ok with..but when she told me that I could be pulled out of the jewerly department occasionally to help out in the warehouse unloading trucks when extra help is needed ( I was laughing so hard on the inside as she said this) and what my hourly pay would be was a slap in the face and a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

Lol..I dont unload trucks and I dont work for the amount that was offered to me..I have WAY to much experience to be cheated out of fair pay from a BILLION dollar company!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in April 2010.

applied online, then the next day i got an email giving me the date and time of my interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinsburg, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinsburg, WV

The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in March 2010.

Well, I went into Walmart, I was an hour late to the interview because I honestly got the times confused. They didn't seem TOO upset, though I don't think they believed me. Then, I had two ladies come back to the orientation room and sit at a table and ask me many questions. I had no prior experience, so I talked most of personal experience. The questions are normal ones for an interview. Ones you can practice online by searching "Interview Questions" on yahoo. Just pick out a few job/personal experiences where you came into contact with a conflict or did a great job and you should be fine. Give direct eye contact. After the interview, I signed a job offer then filled in my infromation on a computer.

Interview Questions
    • When was one time you didn't do something because you thought it was wrong, and it turned out good? (Not exact wording, but whatever)   View Answer
    I got started pretty high for beginner with no experience. Cashier - 7.65$ I did no negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Attalla, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Attalla, AL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in March 2010.

Interesting interview, in that my interviewer had never given one before. She was completely unprofessional read questions off a sheet she found on the internet, couldn't even read them properly. Luckily after 10 minutes of frustration for me and the higher up in the room with us, the higher up decided to take over. The higher up impressed even though she did seem uninterested completely.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Walmart in February 2010.

Applied instore and was called in a month latter for interview about possible cashiring position. Consulted with retial manager about opertunites and hours of avilability. After the interview process I was called in for a second interview with the general manager .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Inver Grove Heights, MN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in February 2010.

applied online, filled out questionaire, received phone call for an interview about 2 weeks later, interview consisted of about 10 minutes with customer service person then another 10 minutes with assistant store manager. was called a few days later with a job offer

Interview Questions
    • describe a time you had to sacrifice quality to complete a task on time   Answer Question

decided it wasn't what i wanted to do

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mechanicsburg, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Walmart in January 2010.

I applied online for Walmart in April of 2009 and eventually got a call back in July 2009. They asked me to come in for an interview the following day. The interview process wasn't too hard. No extremely difficult questions. Just the general questions regarding interaction with others. The hiring manager seemed stern, so I wasn't too sure if she liked me, but at the conclusion of the interview, she told me I got the job. I was ecstatic. She then told me I had to take and pass a drug test within 24 hours of the job offer, or I would have to reapply and undergo another interview. They also said they had to run a background check. I went, passed, and Walmart called me back within a week for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • What was one of your greatest challenges and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate the hourly wage I was paid. I didn't mind starting at 8.40 an hour, but others may have a problem with it. I was just happy to get the job. You also get raises every year with a good review.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hammonton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hammonton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Walmart in January 2010.

Sort of strict but overall an easy process. If they could not get a hold of at least two of your references you did not get the job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in November 2009.

I applied online. I didn't hear anything, so I called a local store and asked for the hiring manager. One store told me they wre not hiring. Another store told me they had not hiring managers available, but that they could review my application. After speaking with the CSM over the phone, she set me up for an interview. The interview was conducted by two different CSM's that asked me a few questions. I was not good at answering the questions. I could see the first manager check "partially effective" on the interview piece of paper. As I waited for the second manager, I tried to refine the answers to my questions. The second manager was very distracted while interviewing me, but apparently was fine with me. I was told to wait. I filled out some more paperwork and was given 24 hours to take a drug test. I did not interview well, but I'm guessing that prevent me from being hired.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when there was a rule that you disagreed with but had to follow anyway.   View Answer
    • Describe a time that you had to work quickly without allowing quality to suffer.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to work on a project as a team. What were some of the difficulties of working as a team and what did you do to help overcome these problems?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you were flexible in order to help complete a project.   Answer Question
    I accepted the offer I was given, which was the exact amount that I stated I would work for on my application. I am not sure if I could have gotten more, but I put down the average for a Cashier as glassdoor.com shows in the salary section.