Walmart

Updated Nov 13, 2014

2.2

73 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Walmart in March 2011.

The hiring and interview process was pretty normal. The usual questions about how you would handle certain situations. I had three people interview me separately. It did take them a couple of months to respond to my application. But once they did I was training the next day which was fast for me but ok.

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Humble, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Humble, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Walmart in February 2011.

I applied early February and received a call from Personnel asking if I was still interested in the position. My first interview was the 9th of February and it consisted of a panel intereview with three ladies. One was a CSM, the other was a Zone Supervisor and the other was an Assistant Manager. I was asked a lot of questions about previous work experience and why I wanted to work at Wal-Mart. I was asked to come in for a second interview the following day and was again interviewed by a panel consisting of the Assistant Manager from my previous interview, a man that had been there over 10 years and another Zone Supervisor. I was asked some of the same questions but they went a little more in depth by giving me hypothetical situations to see how I would react. I actually liked that portion since I personally like to figure out what makes people tick. They had me sign a paper consenting to a background check and sent me off to take a drug test. The drug test results came back immediately but I had to wait on the background check. I received another call on the 15th telling me when my start date was (the 22nd), I showed up for a day filled with paperwork and tours of the facility but it wasn't too bad. The only thing I didn't like is the fact that I have to wear a "uniform" because all the times I've gone into Wal-Mart I hadn't been able to tell there was a dress code.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you dealt with a difficult costumer. What was the problem, what was the action, and how was it resolved?   Answer Question
    No previous cashier experience so I chose not to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmetto, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmetto, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Walmart in November 2010.

three interviews simple questions and easy kept asking same questions in a different way also there are three managers interviewing at one time then u get a second with the assistant manager and a third with store manager.

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in September 2010.

i applied online and a few days later i got a call back telling me to meet at the site to store area and someone will be with me.so i goes to the site to store area and i waited 20 min til someone finally came from the back to get me, they took me to the back room where it was 10 others already in there. they aske a question regarding your past work and how would you deal with customers then let everyone answer one by one. i really dont like group intervews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Destin, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Destin, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in August 2010.

I had an interview with a department manager did really good. Then had a panel interview which consisted of the department manager I interviewed with first, a CSM, and an assitant manager. Very nerve wrecking because there were two other people in the room and they didnt have anything to do with the interview. Answered two questions from each person then a bonus question. After that deparment manger showed me around the store but was not offered a job just told me they would call me.

Interview Questions
    • How you ever taken a shortcut and how did the shortcut help or hurt your work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanside, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanside, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart in August 2010.

Application is on the internet. There are NO paper applications. You will need to create a login ID because it is a long process, as you pass each phase. There is a section that will require you answer over 60 questions. If you can't finish in one sitting, that's okay. You can stop, log out, and go back later. It will take you where you left off. If there are positions, and your application is selected, you will be called in for an initial interview. That goes well, there maybe a couple of more interviews. Do NOT try to contact the store to follow up on your application or interview. You will only annoy these people and put your chance of being hired at risk. They are very busy and don't have time for inquiries. Just go back on a regular basis (once a month or so) and find something to update on the application to keep it active.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to give examples on how you handled certain situations; how you helped someone you didn't have to, there's too much work but it has to get done by a certain deadline - how did you do it, how were you able to resolve an angry person to remedy the situation. You need give real life examples. They don't have to be work related experiences.   Answer Question
    Very limited. I was lucky at the time I was hired because it was more flexible. But pay and availability are part of a regulated corporate structure, so management only have so much at their disposal to offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in May 2010.

I applied online for a Customer Service/Cashier position..Went into the store..had to wait around for the Manager for about 20 minutes..I was interviewed in an area that looked like an employee locker room..
     the manager and I were sitting on some kind of bench while she interviewed me..employees were coming in and out of the area we were in and some of them were even standing there listening to our interview which completely annoyed me..The interview went well and I could tell that the manager liked me and all my experience..I was offered a job in the Jewerly department...which i was ok with..but when she told me that I could be pulled out of the jewerly department occasionally to help out in the warehouse unloading trucks when extra help is needed ( I was laughing so hard on the inside as she said this) and what my hourly pay would be was a slap in the face and a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

Lol..I dont unload trucks and I dont work for the amount that was offered to me..I have WAY to much experience to be cheated out of fair pay from a BILLION dollar company!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in April 2010.

applied online, then the next day i got an email giving me the date and time of my interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinsburg, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinsburg, WV

The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in March 2010.

Well, I went into Walmart, I was an hour late to the interview because I honestly got the times confused. They didn't seem TOO upset, though I don't think they believed me. Then, I had two ladies come back to the orientation room and sit at a table and ask me many questions. I had no prior experience, so I talked most of personal experience. The questions are normal ones for an interview. Ones you can practice online by searching "Interview Questions" on yahoo. Just pick out a few job/personal experiences where you came into contact with a conflict or did a great job and you should be fine. Give direct eye contact. After the interview, I signed a job offer then filled in my infromation on a computer.

Interview Questions
    • When was one time you didn't do something because you thought it was wrong, and it turned out good? (Not exact wording, but whatever)   View Answer
    I got started pretty high for beginner with no experience. Cashier - 7.65$ I did no negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Attalla, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Attalla, AL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in March 2010.

Interesting interview, in that my interviewer had never given one before. She was completely unprofessional read questions off a sheet she found on the internet, couldn't even read them properly. Luckily after 10 minutes of frustration for me and the higher up in the room with us, the higher up decided to take over. The higher up impressed even though she did seem uninterested completely.