Walmart Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.3

153 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart.

They do two interviews in one day in person. First with lower managers and then with an assistant store manager and one of the same managers from the first interview. The questions are the same for both interviews. Really nothing to worry about. They ask about how you handle yourself in certain situations so make sure you have brainstormed a bit before. They ask situation based questions mostly. Such as name a time you worked towards a project with a deadline and met that deadline; name a time you failed and still persevered; and so on.

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Walmart.

They called me in for an interview and I was offered a job on the spot. After that they performed a background check and sent me to a lab to complete a drug test. After doing so, the lab sent off the test and said that Wal*Mart will call to set up an orientation time.

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time when you had to relay a your view point to one who's differed than yours?"   Answer Question
    I did not negioate

Cashier Interview

It was typical interview. They asked the 55 basic questions.
    They really focus on how to handle angry customers and conflict resolution while still wanting you to maintain company policy.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult or unexpected question had to be How would you handle an customer who was trying to use an improper coupon but insisted that you were in the wrong?
      I tried my best to remember the customer is always right yet company policy does not allow one to simply override the system.
        Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Interview was typical background/tell me about yourself questions. Talked to hiring manager about the positions available and what kind of work I've done in the past. I submitted an application through the website and got called back two weeks later for an opening at a different location than I applied for.

Simple hiring process

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oak Ridge, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

I applied online - interviewed at Walmart.

The interview process was very good. I was not as intimidated, they were really friendly and actually listened. They asked questions I could easily answer. They listened intently to what I was saying and actually paid attention. They seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Troy, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in July 2014.

You don't call them, they call you. I went in the first interview with a pretty open availability, they seemed to like me and asked me to stay for a second. They DO contact references, but then they called me in for a third. I've heard and it felt like if you've made it that far, you're in. So long as you pass a drug/background check.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salem, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Walmart in July 2014.

Applied online, and was called in for an interview about a week later. Went in for the interview, and was interviewed by an associate, who just asked questions from a paper, and circled a number. She said I'd need another interview with her manager, and I could either schedule it for another day, or wait for him to arrive about 30 minutes later. I waited, and was then interviewed by an assistant manager. He asked more questions off a paper, and then asked me about myself. After the interview, he sent me to Personnel to complete a background and drug test. Less than a week later, I was called in for orientation! During that, I found out I was hired because I have open availability. So I guess that is pretty important to have.

Interview Questions
    Not any negotiating, you take what you're given. But I was given $0.40 per hour above minimum wage for an entry level position, so I'm not complaining. And they have pretty good benefits for part-time employees.

Cashier Interview

I applied online and a few weeks later got a call to come in for an interview. It was pretty easy. They informed me about the position. The interviewer mainly just asked about my availability and read a list of scenarios.

Cashier Interview

Three interviews. First was re-scheduled due to an error in their system and my waiting around for nearly an hour. First was with a single manager, the second was with another, and the third was with three managers.

Interview Questions
    • Essentially the basic 'hardest instance with customer' or 'how would you react if...' and so forth. Very straight-forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Mifflin, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Mifflin, PA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Walmart in June 2014.

very easy
    answer about 5 questions related to leadership, organization, and time management qualities
    hire on the spot if you answer questions adequately
    turnover for cashiers is high, so they are simply looking for anyone who wants the position (no real competition once you get the interview)

Interview Questions
    • all fairly easy, but require you to talk about past real life situations you were in, so try to have some in mind regarding leadership ect...   Answer Question

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!