Walmart

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Courtesy Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online early April 2014 got hired early May 2014. I applied online and they called me back about a week later to come in for an interview the next day. And the end of the online application they'll have you take an assessment that is equivalent to standard interview questions like "what would you do if...". Also, It's worth mentioning that regardless of the fact that I put in that the best time to reach me is evenings, they still only called me during early daytime hours.

I came in and did my first two interviews. During each of the first two interviews they ask you questions like "tell me about a time when (condition) and you solved the problem, and list the steps you used to solve it". These each lasted about 15 minutes and there were about 8 questions per interview. I can't remember the position of the first woman who interviewed me, but during the second interview it was an assistant manager asking the questions.

After that they had me come back about another week later for the "3rd interview", which is really just paperwork and the job offer. I had to come back the next day because the assistant manager wasn't there on the day that they told me to come in. Be warned that between the first two interviews and the job offer they WILL call your references. I'm not a shady guy and I have a clean background so maybe it was just our store, but they did call mine (at bad hours too. I ended up having to call my references myself and have them call walmart). The person doing the "3rd interview" was the assistant manager for the department I was working in (in my case the front end). Like I said before, they'll just have you fill out a little bit of paperwork and give you the job offer.

I accepted and was immediately sent off for a drug screening that I was already late for by the time the third interview was over. They said it usually takes about 2-3 days for screening results to come back and about a week for background check to go through.

It ended up being less than a week and I was in for orientation with one other future associate. They keep you there for about 5 hours (you are paid for this) doing paperwork, teaching you about the company and you go over basic safety videos. A day later we came back for the second round of orientation, which composed mostly of doing CBLs (Computer Based Learning). These are learning modules that take about 25 minutes each to do. There are like 8 or so required ones. Because I was a minor at the time I was only allowed to stay for 5 hours.

My next shift I was "trained" in by another courtesy associate. A couple days later I was trained to use the electric mule and did my first few carry-outs.

Everyone at our Walmart is nice, so the whole process wasn't dreadful, but it was long.

This process was surprisingly rigorous for a minimum wage job, and seems a bit pointless. I understand that they do it because they are one of the largest employers, but when they need people they're not going to turn you down because you seemed a little below average when answering the interview questions. Just be friendly and cooperative. It'll make the experience easier for everyone involved.

Interview Question – "Describe a time when you helped another person solve a problem by using resources available to you"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Either you take the offer they give you, or you decline and be on your way.

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online, less than a week later I was given a phone call to schedule an interview. The interview itself was simple, I was asked of what my plans were at the time, when did you work with a team to accomplish something, etc. The interview process itself was more/less a job offer as immediately following the interview we went on the computer and I was asked "Do you accept this job?" and took the job. Roughly a week later, a group of newly hires and myself attended orientation. Basically a paid 5-6 hour shift in where you sit in their office and go over various work related ideas, fill out paperwork, etc. Your are given a trainer and manager to look for upon leaving. Then your regular work begins the very next shift.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the blue   Answer Question

Amelia, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Walmart in September 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out an online application & personality test. Then, I waited. And waited. And waited. one month later, they gave me a phone call. We scheduled an interview. The computer went down the day of the interview, so I got a phone call to reschedule. I went to the interview, answered questions, took a drug test, passed the drug test, and was hired.

Interview Question – How did you best handle conflict in a former job?   Answer Question

Bluffton, IN

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was called to schedule an interview on a Friday. My interview was scheduled for the next Tuesday. My first interview was a 1:1 interview with my potential Department Manager where he gave me a scenario and I had to answer how I have handled a situation like that in the past. At this time, I was also given a description of the job I was being offered. After that, I had a 3:1 group interview where they asked me pretty much the same questions as the first interview. After I finished that interview I was told that they had to check my references and then they would call me to schedule my final interview. My final interview was two days later because of scheduling. I had to go do a drug test and after that came back positive, I was offered the job.

Interview Question – You are asked between 5-10 different questions where the interviewer gives you a situation and you are to answer back with a time when you provided that type of help or handled a similar situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. If you are offered a job, they tell you what your starting pay is based on where the job you are hired for is on the pay scale; level 1 (lowest) - level 7 (highest).

Butler, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart in April 2013.

Interview Details – The application (which I filled out online; there is the option to do it in-store) was lengthy, but was able to be completed fairly quickly. The longest part was the questionnaire, which was somewhere between 80-100 questions long. They called me within a week or so and scheduled an interview. The second interview occured about two weeks after the first. The job orientarion I had came about another week after the second interview, so the whole hiring process took about a month.

Interview Question – No question on the application was difficult to answer, nor was any question I was asked during both interviews. This was only my second interview ever, and I felt generally comfortable answering every question they presented me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay was nonnegotiable, and hours were to be scheduled but able to be switched/called off.

Courtesy Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online for military veterans. I received a call within a week. Submitted some paperwork they required. I was contacted a week or so later and was given a phone interview on the spot. I didn't expect that. I was presented an offer within an hour. Declined offer, pay to low for me and store to far away. They might want to up the pay a little bit, hopefully by myself declining this offer another veteran can benefit.

Interview Question – I was given 4 questions that were situational, appeared to be management oriented. But the job turned out to be a cart pusher. Overkill, in my opinion and the questions didn't match the job which at the time I wasn't aware would be a cart pusher (Courtesy Associate).   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – First I appreciate what Walmart is trying to do for veterans. But, the store selected for me was 30 mins away one way. When there are 2 stores within a few miles from my home. The pay $7.50 an hr, I've served over 20+ years in the military and have a 4yr college degree in Management. Overall the the commute and pay with $3.50 gas wasn't adding up to me.

Brownwood, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Walmart in May 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process is very basic. The interview for hourly associates usually takes place with the department manager, or an assistant manager. There are few questions about your work experience or education. The manager goes over your application and makes sure that all information you provided is correct. The manager then asks you situational questions like "Tell about a time that you resolved an issue with another co-worked". If your answers please them they usually put a mark by the question you answers the best. The inter veiw usually lasts from 20-30 minutes.

Interview Question – There really were no difficult questions, they were really just repetitive, and in a lower education format.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase is where they set you at a computer and read the Job description and accept the terms of the job.

Audubon, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Walmart in August 2010.

Interview Details – When I first applied for Wal-Mart in April of 2010 I kept calling once a week to check on my application, but kept getting the same answer we have no position for you. Then August 1st 2010 got the call for an interview! When it comes to how did I plan for my interview well went to Google for interview practice read questions they might ask and just started answering them to myself! For Wal-Mart only had one interview!
Jetliner go for an interview find online where you can practice and just practice on your own before the real thing. Be ready to answer the questionnaires they ask, background check, & drug test! When I went for my interview in August 1st got the job the exact same day. Keep your answers short, sweet, & to the point!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself on a professional level?   View Answer
  • If you saw an employee stealing something, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was nothing to negotiate!

Chantilly, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Walmart in February 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very streamlined and straight forward. From when i applied to when i was hired was about a month with the interview process itself being incredibly simple. I imagine that this process would have been quicker under normal circumstances but i was applying to a store that had not yet been opened.

Interview Question – What is an example of a time where you used the resources given to you to complete an assigned task in the time alloted   Answer Question

Lynn Haven, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Walmart in November 2009.

Interview Details – I was basically tricked. The interview was not for the position I had applied for and was not informed of this until the interview. I ended up being placed as what they call a 98, which are the men outside who gather shopping carts from the lot and stock the terminals inside.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were asked to comply to company policy when you didn't agree with the policy.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Walmart

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart Videos

Walmart – Why Work for Us?

Our Businesses Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. And every division, business unit and department that makes up Walmart is committed to using our company’s size and scale to make the biggest… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart Courtesy Associate interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Walmart employees and interview candidates.