Walmart Deli Clerk Interview Questions & Reviews

10 interviews

2.6

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Deli Clerk Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in February 2014.

Applied in store (website wasn't working at home for some reason), and was told to call personnel a week later. I didn't do this because I had already received a job offer before then. About 2 weeks later I got a call from them asking me to come in for an interview the following day. I decided that I could use a second job, so I went. When I arrived, there were two guys there already, interviewing for stock. I was taken back and interviewed by the produce manager and one other manager. The questions were very basic; the same questions I've heard in every retail interview I'd ever been to. I don't remember applying specifically for deli, but apparently my experience in fast food sent up some sort of deli clerk flag because I was told I would be frying things. They made sure to tell me there is a lot of drama in the deli department. Yay. I say I am used to it, and they send me to the assistant store manager to have another interview. I was very surprised at how quickly the hiring process was going, and had a feeling I probably already had the job. She asked me more questions that were pretty much the same as the original manager's questions were. She seemed to like me and told me she wanted to send me for a drug test. I take this to mean I got the job. They have me drive to a town 20 miles away to complete the drug test, and tell me if I don't do it the same day, I am ineligible for rehire for a year. It was already a bit late in the day and I wondered what people did if they didn't have cars, which I imagine many of their employees don't. Before I left, I filled out more paperwork, was told how much I would be making (and I was extremely surprised to learn it was more than $1 above minimum wage), and was sent on my way. They told me my training would start the following week pending the drug test.

Interview Questions
  • All the most basic customer service interview questions.   Answer Question
No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I interviewed in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Walmart in March 2013.

I met with the department manager and then with the Assistant Manager. They asked me many questions about what I would do in certain situations. The thing I thought was interesting is that they both asked me the same set of 20 questions, just at a different time. They asked why I wanted to work at Walmart also.

Interview Questions
    • What negative thing have you has happened to you at a job in the past. You solved that issue. How would that help you in this job?   Answer Question
    Very easy. They offered, I accepted

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dothan, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dothan, AL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart in July 2012.

The interview process was actually awful I live 26 miles from this store and I was scheduled an interview only to find out that the person who was supposed to be interviewing me was out sick. When I did go back to be interviewed she was still late but other than that It was ok.

Interview Questions
    • The technical question that I was asked was under what circumstances would I leave the company?   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in September 2013.

I filled out an application online at Walmart.com. I applied for multiple locations including two new openings. I got called in for an interview a day or two later to schedule an interview for the next day after the call which ended up being Thursday. I was a hour and a half late but I continued to call to keep the managers filled in on what was going on. The interview took place at the hiring center they set up for the new store. I walked in and signed in and waited for around 30 minutes before being called back to interview with an assistant and zoning manager I believe. They asked about availability and then behavioral questions that were kind of hard but they are just looking to see how you would or have handled situations in the past. Common sense prevailed. I left and was called back last week (one week after my first interview) and offered a job). I had applied for cashier, greeter, or electronic sales associate but due to being in culinary school was offered a deli position. I filled out a job description form and a consent on my availability saying that I understood that my availability couldn't be changed for 90 days. I left and took my drug test and submitted background checks forms. Was called today and start orientation this Thursday. The store opens in November so I should start around then. I'm so excited!!!

Interview Questions
    • They ask a few of wordy questions like where they want you to name what you did and tell the steps you took, people involved, how that corresponds to the category of the question, and the outcome. Don't remember any specific question because they were so long.   Answer Question
    No negotiation but they ask what you would like to make on your application but they don't bring it up at the interview. I assume each job area gets paid differently based on what I've seen in the salary section on this website.

Deli Clerk Interview

Pretty straight forward retail interview. Nothing about yourself, questions were all situational. For example, tell me a time you went above and beyond for a customer, tell me a time you dealt with an irate customer and how did you handle the situation.

Deli Clerk Interview

Applied to a local supercenter, and got a call later that day for an interview. Went in the next morning, the first interview was with another dept. Manager. Questions included alot of "what would you do....." Type scenerios. Questions were read from a set of papers. Then interviewed with the Department manager of the dept. I applied for. Basically the same questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Alot of the questions were about the same, so you have to kind of put a spin on the answers.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They entered my work.experience into the computer, and it set my pay rate.

Anonymous Employee  in  Powhatan, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Powhatan, VA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Walmart in October 2012.

Moving quickly to fill spots , right now . Had 1st and 2nd interveiw at same time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Midwest City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midwest City, OK

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Walmart.

There are three interviews. First by a supervisor of the area you are interviewing for, second is with an Assistant Manager, and third is with the Store Manager or Co-Manager. There are 5 questions in 3-5 areas. It varies on where you plan to work. Most are open-ended questions. There should be a panel of people (2-3) for the first interview minimum too. The main contact is typically the Personnel Manager or Assistant. This is your go to person treat them well! If you progress through the first and second interview most likely you have the job.
    I would wear business casual clothing or above. A suit, polo and nice pants, or dress for women is fine.

Interview Questions
    • When have you been in a situation where their was a problem to solve in a work environment? What was the problem and how did you solve it in a proactive manner?   View Answer
    I only negotiate my schedule due to my custody arrangement of my children. it went well because I was sure on what I could offer.

Deli Clerk Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Walmart.

Everything is Computer based. You will be interviewed by a Merchandise Supervisor, normally from your Department if they are scheduled that day. If they like your answers and believe you are ready for the next step, they enter the info into the computer and call an Assistant Manager in to complete the interview. If they like the answers, they will print out the paperwork showing your pay rate and make the job offer right there. Be neat, Be on time, Be ready to think on your feet!

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you questions based on the information you have given. Including why you have a gap in employment history, A few scenarios of how would you handle a given situation, and the curve was, at least for me, What would you expect of your Management in a crisis situation.   Answer Question
    The Pay is FIRM. It goes by your previous jobs and experience. When I was hired, I had 3 other deli clerks with me, all making less then what I was offered. Even found out a 3 yr associate in my dept was making less then I was. Be ready for this!

Deli Clerk Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Walmart in February 2012.

Easy application, answered a few questions. Mostly about ethics and how I would handle common on the job situations.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe how I had handled a difficult situation in the past.   View Answer
    No negotiation, although YMMV

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!