Walmart

Average Difficulty
51 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

South Sioux City, NE

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in July 2013.

Interview Details – You go through three interviews before you are hired. not much training before put on floor to work.application takes a long time and extremely longer for management position.3 step interviews.First with a dept.mgr.,then assist.mgr.,then store mgr. or co-mgr.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you personally diffused a situation.What was it and how did you do it and the outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They dont have one.Just offer and accept.

Department Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – There will be two interviews taken place. The first is from a lower level member of management. The second from a higher level. They each ask a series of intertwined questions that have several questions within each. The first manager will either pass you on to the next manager or they will not depending on their level of interest.

Interview Question – All the questions are very difficult. Just try to focus on the question as a whole not the individual questions within. Most of the managers are pretty laid back so feeling extremely nervous is unnecessary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't any negotiating. They said this is what you will make and they kind of make you feel like it is that or nothing. There is always someone else who will do the job for that pay. Of course they don't say that.

Mooresville, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in September 2013.

Interview Details – Basic questions about working with teams of people and coming up with plans to complete projects sample questions available on the net. 2 interviews first one by an hourly manager then a salary manager, usually as long as you give an answer and you can pass the background and drug test you will be hired.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with someone how did you get your point across while still respecting the other persons opinion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation allowed they tell you what they are willing to pay which will be McDonalds money and you say ok and you are hired or no and go look for another job.

Department Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Walmart in August 2013.

Interview Details – Apply either in store or online. Get call back for interview. Ace the interview then drug test.

Usual standard questions they ask:
Name a time you had to work as a team to get the job done but had hard to work with teammates. how did you finish the task?

name a time outside work for the above question.

Interview Question – Name a time you had to step up and take a leadership position when working with others   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Emporia, KS

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Walmart in September 2012.

Interview Details – Two interviews are given provided that you can pass an assessment exam. If all goes well they will make an offer and require a drug test.

Interview Question – None of is was difficult and the questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is not an option.

Department Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the Co-Manager at the time, sit down style meeting in an empty office room of the store, short introduction followed by a series of situational questions.

Interview Question – "Name a time you were given a difficult project to complete with a strict timeline, how did you achieve success, what policies and procedures did you use, and how did you improve the project for future employees?"   Answer Question

Department Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – I had twenty years experience in management and showed up to the interview in a professional suit and got hired as a department manager with half the pay. I interviewed the Asst. manager and she could not even tell me her sales quota for the month.

Negotiation Details – They had points for every year you are a manager with experience. What a joke.

Very Easy Interview

Hackettstown, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Walmart in June 2010.

Interview Details – You are called in for an original interview by the department manager of the department you applied for as well as an Assistant Store Manager. They ask you questions about yourself, past employment and so on. Then they tell you that if you are hired, they will call you back for orientation. You are expected to purchase your own attire, blue shirts and brown or tan pants are ONLY acceptable.

Interview Question – None. They have such a Hugh turn over rate with employees, they will hire almost ANYONE.   Answer Question

Goddard, KS

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Walmart in November 2012.

Interview Details – Walmart policy is to be interviewed by two completely incompatible managers to base a hiring decision on agreeable choice. I was interviewed by 2 assistant managers, both off my first impression was clearly they wasn't a perfect pick for management. At that moment I knew I'd regret even applying. I knew off my employment background an strong work ethics, that Walmart as a company is mismanaged. Was hired based only for photo lab technician. That was not the case, as to fellow employees my leadership skills an people skills proved, I was to be promoted promptly. Which I was within a month of employment. I spoke of some who shouldn't be in management position an was then listed as the "Impact Leader". When corporate came thru for visits, I'd thought the open door policy was ethical . Needless to say it's NOT. An if you as the assiocate or department manager speaks up, plan on getting Coached for freedom of speech an belittled.

Interview Question – Can you handle strict company guidelines and unchangeable policy that's written in stone?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for $8.50 per hr to $10 per hr. Management came back an set in stone only to give $7.25

Very Easy Interview

Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Walmart in June 2013.

Interview Details – was all in house the walmart way

Interview Question – was none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – easy told them what I want and got it

Interviews for Top Jobs at Walmart

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart Videos

Walmart – Why Work for Us?

Our Businesses Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. And every division, business unit and department that makes up Walmart is committed to using our company’s size and scale to make the biggest… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart Department Manager interview questions and advice. All 51 interview reviews posted anonymously by Walmart employees and interview candidates.