Walmart Department Manager Interview Questions

2.6

52 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in November 2011.

Panel interview with Zone Manager, Store Manager, and Shift Manager. Situational questions

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you had to coach an associate for improvement?   Answer Question

The hours were not as good as the hours i am getting now in a lower position and I am full time and the position was part time

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in August 2011.

Your interview will most likely be one of a few for the same position. The interview will assess your problem solving, communication, and poise in a leader role. Market yourself. What "you" did and how "you" were important to the process is what they are looking for in you answers. Be specific about details and events.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to resolve a problem and the asnswer to that problem was not immediately apparent. Whats tools did you utilize/ Who did you involve? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Descibe a time when you had to critique someones performance. How did you do so What Methods did you use? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    Little to none.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Appleton, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart in July 2011.

Four basic questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you went out of your way to help a customer?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Walmart in June 2011.

I applied online, which was fine. Received a call from Assistant Manager, set up an interview time. The initial interview consists of talking to other Department Managers, they read from scripted pages and ask 'for instance type questions' or 'what would you do in a case like this'. You are then drug and background tested. If you are hired, you will be called in about 48-72 hours.

There was no negotiation, it was take it, or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Walmart in January 2011.

I first applied online for the job, and had two very easy interviews back to back, to inititally get the job. After working for walmart for a little over a year, i knew i wanted to go higher up in the company. The day i had my interview for department manager i had no idea that i was going to have it and was completely umprepared. I haven't had any experience as a supervisor before and I thought that's what all the questions seemed to refer as, (how were you a boss this way, and how did you lead that way) i ended up not getting the position and i figured it was because of my poor interview. Now i'm going for department manager again and this time they gave me a week heads up!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to take lead with a big project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Walmart in August 2010.

It was a very interesting process. I was first invite in for an interview for a dept manager spot. Very basic, how do you handle this type of thing or this type of thing. Very easy. Then they passed me on to another manager who did the same interview. He called me a day a later and told me I didn't get the spot but he wanted to offer the same spot different department. But the pay was 25% lower from the other spot. ???

pay to low

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmichael, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmichael, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart in June 2010.

First, Apply online, pass the assesment exam and wait for them to call you, they're gonna call you once you are qualified for the position and and they will set up a date for an interview for you, come as early as possible, they want a fast process, once they like you, it's boom!, you're hired. you have to pass 2 interviews, questions will be situational like for example of a time wherein you must do something you didnt expect, something like that, and then next will be the hiring manager who will interview you, this part, you will have to be more specific on what you can do and what similarities of your experience for the job you are applying for. it's easy if you have an experience about the position. once you're all set, they're gonna let you take a drug test and fill out forms like w4 and etc,and then boom, you will start as soon as possible.

Interview Questions
    • is there a time wherein you have to not break a rule and what did you do   Answer Question
    • give us an example of how you became a role model of integrity and honesty for you associate's.   Answer Question
    i really dont know, what i think is, you have to think of a long term goal, if you think that this offer will be good for you for a long time, then say nothing and grab the offer. if you're thinking that the offer is too low for you, then just ask them, is that the highest they can give to you?.if they answer yes, then its really up to you to accept it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hackettstown, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hackettstown, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Walmart in June 2010.

You are called in for an original interview by the department manager of the department you applied for as well as an Assistant Store Manager. They ask you questions about yourself, past employment and so on. Then they tell you that if you are hired, they will call you back for orientation. You are expected to purchase your own attire, blue shirts and brown or tan pants are ONLY acceptable.

Interview Questions
    • None. They have such a Hugh turn over rate with employees, they will hire almost ANYONE.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bemidji, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bemidji, MN

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in April 2010.

Thre interviews was basically the same with each person who interviewed me. Then I went to a drug test and waited for my background test. Thie process took 2 weeks. Then I was called back for an orentation process. Then whats called CBLs.

Interview Questions
    • We can all be difficult at times. Tell me about a time someone was diffucult how did you handle it? Did you ask them any questions?   View Answer
    Nothing. They put me in an area that I didnt want to work and they also gave me a low wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wallingford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wallingford, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Walmart in October 2009.

A friend of mine has worked at this location for years, and had let me know of an opening in the hardware department. I was previously laid off from my carpenters union, and was looking for a postion with some stability in this market, so I applied.

I recieved a call from a female manager and asked if I could come in for an interview that afternoon which I did.

I sat in the training room for a while while they printed a "packet" from their computer. I had 5 questions asked from another Department manager, then was told that I just needed to sit with a salaried manager for a few more questions.

I answered 5 questions, and while they were getting another "packet" ready for drug testing, a tall thin man walked in and introduced himself as the store manager, and congratulated me for making the cut.

He reviewed my questions and saw that I worked for the union, then looked at me funny and asked how I liked it. I told him that I never had any real dealings with them before being layed off, but they didn't seem to help me with that.

Funny thing happened, I was told that they couldn't find a "packet" for me, and that they would call me when a new shipment came in.

A few days later Icalled to follow up, and I was told that the position was already filled.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when someone you worked with was not as honest as they should have been. What was the situation, and what did you do about it?   View Answer