Walmart

1.7

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrensburg, MO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrensburg, MO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

I applied online on August 17th and they called me for an interview on October 17th. The interview was scheduled for the following Monday. The department manager did the initial interview. He went over my application and had me correct it and then did an availability sheet.
He probably asked about 12 questions. He had sheets of paper that had lists of questions and he asked two per sheet and then rated them overall on a scale - Role Model, Exceeds Expectations, Meets Expectations, and two others I can't remember the wording for but the jist was below expectations. The questions were generic interview questions, not at all applicable to the specific positions. They focused a lot on experience working with a team, communication style, handling conflict, and going beyond what was expected. Immediately following the interview he asked if I could meet with the assistant manager for his department for a second interview.
I waited for about 45 minutes for her to get back from lunch and then we talked in a different room. She started off asking what led me to applying at Walmart and then asked the same kinds of questions as the department manager. At the end she said they'd bring me back in a few days after checking references.
Two days later I got a call to come in for a third "interview." I showed up the next day and was offered the job. They had me read through the position responsibilities and sign that I could performs them. Then they told me my pay and had me accept the offer on the computer, pending the drug and background checks. They called me back the following Monday and scheduled me for orientation for that Wednesday.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time that you a task with specific deadlines, what steps you took to keep on track, and what the results were.

Tell me about a time that you were given a task with little instruction and the steps you took to complete it, and what the results were.

Answer Question
I did not attempt to negotiate. The online application asked for my minimum acceptable wage and that is what they offered. I did receive a 90 cent per hour premium, but the Shift Manager did not know why. From what I have read it was either for having a degree or years of work experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Electronics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Walmart.

As long as you come in to the interview with confidence you will be fine. Also just make sure when you are answering the questions that you do not contradict yourself. Speak clearly and precisely, eye contact is never a bad thing which will go hand in hand as part of confidence.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Walmart in July 2014.

I was initially called in for an interview the day before it was to be scheduled. Asking the associate who called me where I should report to had me going to the Site to Store area and waiting. Once arriving the following day for my interview at the Walmart location, I waited in the Site to Store area with one other candidate. About 15 minutes after arriving, the other candidate was pulled in before me and about ten to fifteen minutes after that I was pulled in. The first interview was with a person of management. They asked me to verify my information, double checked with me about my availability, and once that information was accounted for by the personnel associate, I was then asked to describe myself.

Once I detailed my work experience to her, I was asked to be patient and wait for an Assistant Manager in the Associate's Breakroom. It was a good twenty or so minutes before someone came for me to give me my second interview. The Assistant Manager that interviewed me pulled me into an office away from the Personnel office and gave me my second interview. She introduced herself, I introduced myself and we continued the interview process. It was pretty basic as far as retail interviews go. A couple of situational questions that dealt with hypothetical and/or personal examples were given and then we went over what I did for my previous employers and how that would relate to the job I was being interviewed for. Towards the end of my interview, I offered her a copy of my resume and cover letter and was told that it wasn't needed at that stage and she asked me to wait in the Associate's Breakroom once more. About another ten to fifteen minutes went by before a different person of Personnel came and got me and I was sat down and offered the job I was interviewed for. Accepting the job offer, I consented to a background check, drug test and formally signed off on my information for the background check. I was given a form for my drug testing with a printout of directions to get to the medical facility to take the drug test and was informed I had twenty four hours from the time written on the form to take it. One minute after and my application was null and void and I'd lose out on the job.

Going for my drug test was simple. Did the typical drug test and waited for about six to seven days before I was called and scheduled for orientation the next day.

Was overall a positive experience and so far, all of the associates that I've worked with have been very accepting and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't really any difficult questions asked in my opinion. I guess one of the hardest ones that could've been asked was, "Describe a situation that you were given a difficult project. What did you do, how did you handle it and what was the outcome?" This would mostly be difficult to answer in the case of not preparing the night before for the interview. But luckily, I prepared for many scenarios.   View Answer
    I was offered a fair wage for starting fresh at the company. There wasn't much negotiating. The only question I asked since it was part-time, is if it was a temporary part-time or permanent part-time before I accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied online – interviewed at Walmart in June 2014.

I applied online and got a call back about two weeks later for an in store interview, I was then told if they were to offer me a job they would call later that day or the next. They called me a few hours later and asked if I could come in the next day for a job offer, I had the option of Electronics, Women's wear or Cashier. They all held the same pay, 7.65, but different hours with Electronics being the most hours at 35. I choose Electronics and set up a date for orientation. We had orientation a few days later, the same people who were with me during the job offer were at orientation. We then had a day off and then training, CBLs. We went to the floor after we completed all of our CBLs, I personally had 80 something.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions are very standard and my interviewing hardly let me finish before going on to the next question, it was all just formalities for her.   Answer Question
    No negotiation on pay or hours. You take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in November 2013.

I applied on a Monday and called the hiring manager personally on a Wednesday and set me up for an interview for that morning. I went in and met with the department manager and had my 1st interview which had 5 of your usual interviewing questions and it was really laid back. After that, he told me to wait for the Assistant Manager to give me my 2nd interview in a few minutes. My 2nd interview was just as easy, easy questions and laid back and she offered me the position on the spot. I have already taken my drug test and waiting for my background check.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you have maintained an environment that promoted and reinforced the highest standards of integrity and ethics among associates.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation and I wasn't going to fight over the amount of 9 dollars an hour. A job is a job for me right now.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avon, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avon, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in September 2013.

There really isn't an interview process. You will get a phone call from HR asking to meet with you. They will ask you a few simple questions (very simple and easy to answer). You are pretty much guaranteed the job as long as you show up to the interview. Walmart will hire anyone, which is why their turnover rate is so high! 90% of employees who work for this company have no ambitions, have given up on life, or have had life take a big dump on them. Nobody cares about their job in this company, which is why nothing gets accomplished. If you are goal oriented and accomplish tasks easily, then be prepared to do ALL of the work in your department. After you are given a job offer, you will need to pass a drug test within 24 hours. The company will pay for this drug test. The people who interview and do not get the job are always the ones who fail the drug test...

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be an electronics sales associate.   View Answer
    They gave me an extra $.90 per hour because I have a bachelors degree from ITT Tech. (the degree is about as useless as this company is)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart in July 2013.

The interview was rather painless. Essentially twist prior work/school to fit the needs of the position.

Electronic Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Walmart in April 2013.

It took about 6 weeks from application to start date. I applied online and was called about a week later to schedule an interview. The phone call was short and simple with no interview questions asked. I was informed to dress business casual and cover any tattoos. The interview took place a little less than a week later. The interview itself was very laid back. I spent about 20-30 minutes waiting for the hiring manager to get all the paperwork she needed together before we began. She asked questions about my background, if I knew anything about electronics, what hours I would be willing to work and why I wanted to work for Walmart. I was told that she liked me and I should be getting a phone call with a job offer within a week. It actually took almost a month before I actually got the job offer even though I called back to inquire about it during the time that passed. I started training within 3 days after receiving my job offer. All the people (the personnel girl that scheduled my interview and the manager) were very polite, friendly and laid back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in May 2012.

You are asked questions: Tell me about yourself? Why are you leaving your current employer? Name a time when you had to handle a differnt customer and how you resolved the situation?

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you weren't about help a customer and explain why you couldn't help that person?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you did something you weren't required to do and why you do it?   Answer Question
    Be honest about what you are wanting, they will work with you and tell you what they can and can not do.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Walmart in October 2011.

Assessment tests, background check, two interviews, and I was hired. As long as the background check comes back good, a person should be hired. I found the process drawn out , but it worked out in the end.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you encountered an irate customer. How did you handle it?   Answer Question