Walmart Interview Questions

Updated Oct 28, 2014
2,447 Interview Reviews

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Walmart.

Only a few scenario questions. Drug and background check. Usually a problem solution and tell about a time when you were in a situation and the process you took to resolve it. Then the results that you saw and what you learned from it. Two interviews. One with zone manager and the other with the assistant manager

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Walmart.

3 interviews beginning with supervisor for that department then 2 more with someone from HR. Then you must go do your drug test after which they will call you for orientation and you will receive your first schedule. Basically when they ask you to come in for an interview you have the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was a situation where you felt that you could not complete your task at work or at school?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. All hourly salaries start at 7.70

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

Got a call from Human Resources, went in today to do a face face interview with the department manager. The questions was very basic and straight forward. After I passed the first interview he told me I was considered for a second interview that same day, which was with the Assistant manager. She was very down to earth and seemed really interested in me. After the second I was told that I had to a drug test & background check also before my orientation. I was hired on the spot!!!!

Interview Questions
    • They only asked simple behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected though   Answer Question

Lift Driver Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

Called me in after a month,
    Interviewed me with 4 questions,
    - behavioral (describe a time when you did not agree with someone but persuaded them to go your route) (sort of the question)
    - work ethic (Name a time when you had to meet a deadline and you were behind in your work) - 1
    - influential (Describe a time when you had to influence others to come to an agreement) - 1
    - making correct decisions (Describe a time when not following policy would have shortened the entire job, and if you did so or not) - 1

Told me it was an Interview, Reference Check, Offer, Background Check + Drug Test, Start working.

Interviewed today, will update with further information

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to meet a deadline and you were behind in your work   Answer Question

Guest Service Team Member - Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, NE

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

waited 30mins for an interview. aced the first one then when i was waiting for the second i was hearing rude comments about me from over workers. was offered the job but declined because of the other workers.

Interview Questions
    • nothing the mangers were very nice and told me how easy the job was.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

Asked a lot of questions, and I went online and applied there first, then received an invitation through email to do a work related survey and questionaire, then another email stating I was approved for work training and I could schedule it at my own choice of time, then I had two days at training center. Had to pass a job drug test right there on the spot, then after passing that I had to do 9 emails relating to W2 forms and submit for background check right there at the center, then after passing that I was accepted into the training and it took about two hours. Then they walk you through the mock store, and then there is a type of "meeting" room where you have a wonderful trainer who walks you through the store policy, company culture and policy, then from there you are given a 15 min break then brought back to real registers and walked through the different payment methods: Cash, credit card, wic, food stamps, gift cards, tax exempt and stuff like casheir checks, how to cash paychecks and travelers checks. Very nice training! Also how to deal with customers that may be irate or unpleasant, or those who you suspect have concelead merchandise in clothing, shoe boxes, backpacks, or any other thing like comforters ets and how to ask if they meant to purchase it... I really enjoyed the trainer I had. Then you are given an hour luch, come back to more register training on how to ring up different items, such as how to look up things that have no tags, produce, etc. Then you are finally sat in front of computers and given like thirteen videos or so to watch, and then pass a small test at the end of each one and then you are given your badge and told what store to go to, if you dont already know and the info about your store, such as the hours you to work the first da, and the stroe manager, so it was very detailed and enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • There was truly no hard questions, just be prepared to use the restroom for the drug tests as I had just went to bathroom before going so I would not have to ask and look silly that I was unprepared for the interview... go there NEEDING to use the restroom, lol.... Also if you cannot pass a drug test or background check, please do not waste everyones time... When I got there there was about 75 people and only 6 of us passed the drug test and background check and it just made all of us other 6 waste our time, the employees time and I was mad that I was next to last in the whole line of 75 and had ht osit there all that time for NO REASON... If your a druggy or child molestor, or convicted of a felony, WAL-MART will NOT hire you so stay away!!!!!!! They have to pay MONEY to test your butt and you know you WONT pass so stop wasting everyones time!!!!!!   View Answer
    There was NO negotiations at ALL, and I am still upset about this! I have had years and years of cashier experience, as well as management experience and STILL was not hired as management, nor given a better salary that min wage! I feel this is really unfair.

Walmart Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

Typical interview. Had 2 interviews, first one was with 3 ppl in the same day (assistant manager, supervisor, and regular associate). Asked like 4-5 situational questions, after interview asked if i had any questions. Did a deliberation then told me to.come bk for 2nd interview that following Thursday at 10:45.

arrived at 2nd interview 15 min early. After the first person came out, my name was called to do my interview. The.store.manager introduced him self, took me to a room in the back of the building. Asked me to tell him about.myself and why I want to work for WalMart. Then was asked to tell.him about my employment history. After that, I was asked about 2 tell.me about a time questions. After those were answered, he then said that this was an temp.position and they were looking for ppl for the holidays. I told him I would love to do the job.

he then stated he had more interviews to do and that he will make his selection soon. He told me I would hear bk by that Monday or Tuesday depending on his.personal manager. Its been 4 days. Haven't heard anything yet.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you had a difficult task to complete and how did you completed it?   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bentonville, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bentonville, AR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

I received a phone call from a recruiter asking me to come in for an interview and have dinner. They had gotten my resume from the campus career center so it was an out-of-the-blue surprise for me.

Dinner was at a nice place and was very informational. The next Day I came to the interview and my interviewers were the ones sitting across from me during dinner.

Overall fairly relaxed interview. Typical why us questions and such. Asked the difference between a For and a While loop. What is a switch case, which is faster between a switch case and a series of if-else statements.

Interview Questions
    • if you were interviewing someone for a programmer position what question would you ask?   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied online – interviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

Yesterday (10/29/14), I got a call from 21st & Maize location and it was a 1 question phone interview (never got asked to come in for a in-person interview) for a Seasonal Cashier, I told her I had no cashier experience (Walmart claims they train), she paused/hesitated (could hear a sigh) and she said we'll train you

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   View Answer

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

Process took a total of one week. Had a wonderful pre-interview dinner the night before with a few associates as well as other intern candidates. The dinner was casual, layback and fun! As for the actual interview it is typically behavioral; however, they may ask a few technical questions just to check up on your skills.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if two individuals offered you tickets to your favorite sports teams. How would you decide whom to go with if you could only go with one?   Answer Question
    • Enter a question you were asked.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, salary was already exceptional.