Walmart

Updated Dec 18, 2014
2,530 Interview Reviews

2.4

Cashier Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

Applied Monday night and got called for an interview on Tuesday night. Wednesday morning I went to the interview, with quite a few people there. My first interview contained about 5 pre-screening questions such as, "Tell me about a time where you had a conflict with a coworker or guest and how you solved it". I would say the first interview is the worst part of the whole process. After that, they told me to wait outside for a second interview with a assistant manager. The assistant manager invited me into her office and asked me simple questions about my availability and what position I want. It was very quick and she told me to go wait outside for my 3rd interview with the store manager. Store manager invited me into the office, described what cashiers do, and hired me on the spot. Quick and easy.

I got sent to my drug test after all the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had a conflict with a coworker or customer, describe a time where you identified a small problem and fixed it before it became a bigger problem, describe a time where you had do a task or project and how you succeeded.   View Answer
    No negotiation, 8.65 hourly.

Seasonal Cashier Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied online – interviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

Yesterday (10/29/14), I got a call from 21st & Maize location and it was a 1 question phone interview (never got asked to come in for a in-person interview) for a Seasonal Cashier, I told her I had no cashier experience (Walmart claims they train), she paused/hesitated (could hear a sigh) and she said we'll train you

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Electronics Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrensburg, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrensburg, MO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

I applied online on August 17th and they called me for an interview on October 17th. The interview was scheduled for the following Monday. The department manager did the initial interview. He went over my application and had me correct it and then did an availability sheet.
    He probably asked about 12 questions. He had sheets of paper that had lists of questions and he asked two per sheet and then rated them overall on a scale - Role Model, Exceeds Expectations, Meets Expectations, and two others I can't remember the wording for but the jist was below expectations. The questions were generic interview questions, not at all applicable to the specific positions. They focused a lot on experience working with a team, communication style, handling conflict, and going beyond what was expected. Immediately following the interview he asked if I could meet with the assistant manager for his department for a second interview.
    I waited for about 45 minutes for her to get back from lunch and then we talked in a different room. She started off asking what led me to applying at Walmart and then asked the same kinds of questions as the department manager. At the end she said they'd bring me back in a few days after checking references.
    Two days later I got a call to come in for a third "interview." I showed up the next day and was offered the job. They had me read through the position responsibilities and sign that I could performs them. Then they told me my pay and had me accept the offer on the computer, pending the drug and background checks. They called me back the following Monday and scheduled me for orientation for that Wednesday.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you a task with specific deadlines, what steps you took to keep on track, and what the results were.

Tell me about a time that you were given a task with little instruction and the steps you took to complete it, and what the results were.

Answer Question
    I did not attempt to negotiate. The online application asked for my minimum acceptable wage and that is what they offered. I did receive a 90 cent per hour premium, but the Shift Manager did not know why. From what I have read it was either for having a degree or years of work experience.

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

Applied online and received a call from one of the HR managers to set up an interview. Interview was with 2 HR managers and included around 9 situation based questions. Followed all suggestions I found online and used the STAR format to answer. Was told I would hear next week the results. I received a call the next day setting up a "final" interview. It was a very similar interview using similar questions, however this time it was with the general manager and assistant general manager. Both interviews were very tough and would have been devastating without studying and practice. Even with all the prep I found them both very difficult, though everyone involved was friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you had to influence a group to adapt to a change in operational procedures. Were you met with any resistance and how did you overcome it? Please be specific.   Answer Question

Overnight Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart in October 2014.

The interview was easy. Answered a few questions and was told to come back for a second interview. I did and was not interviewed. Just signed some paperwork to do background check and drug test. Easier than other places I have interviewed. The pay is non negotiable as they use a pay scale, so experience does not matter. Which really stinks.

Interview Questions
    non negotiable pay and experience does not matter to Wal-Mart. Negotiate to a better paying position if possible.

Cashier Associate Interview

I was called by Human Resources and was asked to come in for an interview 3 days following this initial phone call. I was interviewed by a Customer Service Manager and then one of the General Managers. The interviews were very thorough, asked A LOT of questions and really seemed interested in ME. They told me right on the spot that as long as I passed the background check and drug screening (which they pay for themselves and I was sent to go to immediately) that I was hired. They also told me what my pay would be (which was almost $2.00 over minimum wage).

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember exactly how it was worded; but, it was something to the effect of, "Name a difficult situation at work where you put in a complicated position." This is a tough question as you want to be able to "sell yourself"; yet, you do not want to sound like you are bragging either.   Answer Question
    No, I did not negotiate as the pay they offered was already higher than I had expected.

Wal Mart Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Walmart.

I applied online.

Interview was easy.
    If you got called for interview, then you're basically hired.

Then you will proceed to the drug test. The drug test was really easy. You just need to pee in a cup.

Interview Questions
    Nothing, they just tell you your salary.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart.

They will hire about anybody with the degree because of the high turnover. You can work your way up starting up as a regular part time associate. As long as you work like there is no tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • no unexpected questions. STAR interview. All predictable: customer service and leadership   View Answer
    no negotiations. everybody starts at the same rate.

Sales Associate Interview

It was simple, asked a few questions and got hired. They like associates who are looking to stay within their industry and promote to managers. You get the Walmart discount after working 3 months as an employee.

Overnight Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Walmart in September 2014.

Recieved a call in the a.m. then went in that same night(1st. Interview) Second day recieved another call in the a.m. to go it that same night for (2nd interview) both different manager's.

Interview Questions
    I still have a third interview which they told me was to drug test and contact references. If I can come back and answer this question after that last interview I will update you.