Walmart

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Westerly, RI

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Walmart in October 2013.

Interview Details – Easy simple but boring it was just a few questions and basically an offer on the spot as long as you weren't physically unable to work. The offer was extremely low but accepted it due to needing as much money as possible. All in all, very easy interview.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Overnight Stocking

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Walmart in September 2013.

Interview Details – Despite my often severe social anxiety issues, the interview process went alright. The three different people I was interviewed by all seemed to be very understanding of my apparent difficulty, though I realize they also don't have especially high standards for employment. I think they could sense that I was doing my best to be professional, despite how clearly uncomfortable I was.

The majority of the orientation process involved several hours of computer-based learning (henceforth referred to as "CBL"). This was very monotonous, and it wasn't 100% on teaching you everything you needed to know. These CBL modules and training videos seemed more concerned with teaching employees the dangers of unions and how to suck up to customers properly than with teaching new employees all the helpful tips and tricks I learned from co-worker to make the job go more smoothly. It seems that the company expects you to learn those tips and tricks from your co-workers (which just means taking up their time while managers rush everyone to work faster).

Anyway, while the CBL aspect of the employee training process was both monotonous and somewhat lacking, I did get paid for the time (about 8 hours in one day) I spent working on them before starting the actual job a few days later.

Interview Question – There really weren't any kinds of questions I would not expect from an interview. I suppose the most difficult thing was trying to come up with real-life problems and how I dealt with them on the spot when asked. It doesn't help that I didn't prepare for what questions they might ask, but I do not like to simply make up responses, so I spent a moment trying to think of a specific example.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Walmart

Interview Details – After applying for the job from the website, a week later they will call you. If you get the interview there will be 2 people who will ask you the same questions. If you pass you will get training and work the next week.

Interview Question – There wasn't really a difficult question.   Answer Question

Porterville, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Walmart in July 2009.

Interview Details – Interview was nice and simple, involving 2 management level personnel (1 Support Manager, 1 Assistant Manager). Standard questions relating to your experience followed by "Tell me a little about yourself?". Interviewers skipped a lot of the questions based on their own feeling of them.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   View Answer

Liberty, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Walmart in August 2009.

Interview Details – @ different interviews from 2 different managers, just scenarios from previous work experiences and how i handled them.

Interview Question – what would you do in a certain situation and how did you come up with that answer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they only had overnight available at the present time.

Bad Axe, MI

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart in June 2013.

Interview Details – Initially contacted via phone to set up an interview the same day. The first day I met with the HR head for a one on one "interview" which was mostly superfluous, asking standard questions about previous employment etc. The assistant manager, after asking her questions, referred me to an interview with three mid-level managers, which took over 40 minutes to organize despite being told ~5. These managers read badly worded questions off of a script, identical to the ones HR had asked me just before.

After the interview I was told that they would call me if everything checked out, and that it usually took a day or so. Despite putting all local references down, I was told it took their HR over a week to contact any of my references, and it took approximately 9 days for me to be called back for another "interview," which was really just being handed some paperwork to fill out and asked to take a drug test. Three days later I was called back to come in the same day and finish filling out some more paper work, schedule, tour of the facility, and normal pre-work orientation.

Interview Question – I was asked to explain a situation in which I was confronted with a situation where a customer asked me to solve a problem that I had no control over and how I responded to the customers needs.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate, only took the job as it was temporary over the summer.

Overnight Stock

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Applied for Walmart Neighborhood Market in-store and got called the next day for interview. Got interviewed by three different supervisors and the store manager and was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – None. Every one pretty much asked the basic questions different ways each time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

West Chester, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Walmart in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website. I got a call the next day from the manager at a store that was about 30 minutes away from me instead of the two walmarts that are down the street from me. I went in and a lady that manages the electronic department was talking to me while I was waiting and wanted me to get hired on in her department instead. Went back with one of the HR managers and it was in an open room full with other employees(which I hated). She basically asked me what kind of job was a looking for and ended up changing me to Lawn & Garden, which I did not want to do.

Interview Question – No certain questions asked, it was just a pre-screen.   Answer Question

Overnight Stock

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Walmart in June 2010.

Interview Details – As far as the actual interview goes, they do not ask you traditional interview questions, like 'why should we hire you?', 'what are your weaknesses?', 'why do you want to work here?' and so on. They ask for you to give examples of times that you solved problems, worked as a team, maintained quality control under a deadline, followed rules that you didn't like, etc. There are about 10-12 questions like this, and it is challenging to come up with situations to apply to such specific questions.

It's a tough interview for what seem like basic jobs. They are far more interested in your work ethic, ability to work under pressure, fit into their corporate culture and maintain quality control.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an irate customer. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!