Walmart Shift Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2015

Shift Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart.

Interview

If you need a job now or in a month, avoid Wal-Mart. They have the longest hiring process I have ever experienced. 9 months! Most of the time you have no idea where you stand, DO NOT quit your job until you are working for the company, expect an 8 week stay away from home while in training, expect to be placed far away from home, I have seen so many managers get placed hours way from where they live. The AMT training class does NOT prepare you for how crazy and wild a real store is or how insane some of the managers are, if you are hired as an ASM, GOOD LUCK, you will most likely have multiple Shift Managers bullying you around all the time, and most of the time none of them are on the same page. Forget what they taught you in AMT, that is just a PR machine churning for no reason at all except to give people a false hope and sense of what a REAL manager position at Wal-Mart is like.
They fly you through that class so fast you most likely will not have learned much from it. You will learn early on , within a week or two, that your HR Market Manager, Market Manager, Store Mnager and Some Shift Managers did not go through that training.
Yeah they teach about taking temps on trucks and that ONLY salaried managers can unload a truck, or break the seal BUT, you will most likely be so overwhelmed that you make a Zone Manager or Support Manager do it, and guess what, they most likely did not check temps, left a pallet on the truck, left a pallet in the backroom off refrigeration.
So give these things some thought as the AMT training is part of your on-boarding, also you can fail this class, but the facilitators can care less if you succeed or fail!! But they will send you packing if you break the rules, and that means no job!
Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• One of the interview pieces is for you to present a business case. In my scenario it was a Pharmacy down the street that Wal-Mart ironically put out of business. How would you get the customers in to your store, for me it was obvious, Wal-Mart shut everything else in town down, BUT, you have to come up with plans to get the business, very basic presentation to be honest.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Long, exhausting and far too many interviews.

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, GA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Walmart (Columbus, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

If you get called for an interview, you can pretty much guarantee that you have the job unless you fail the drug test or are a complete idiot. The questions they ask are very easy. Nowadays expect to be employed as a Temp. A few months down the road, based upon your work ethic, you can expect to be hired on as part-time.

Interview Questions

• How what do you think you can do to make this company better.   1 Answer

Shift Manager Interview

Interview

Situational based questions that are open ended questions. Always looking for what you would do as a leader in the work force. Previous interviews with Wal-Mart set a similar basis for the questions asked during the interview. Always prepare situations that show a positive outcome for the decision made. Always be prepared to end with what the outcome was for the situation.

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay is based on regional area

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Walmart (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

All interviews are scenario based - first interview with an hourly supervisor and the second with a salaried member of management.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenton, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart (Warrenton, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

Received a call one week ago to schedule an interview. Phone interview lasted roughly 30 minutes and consisted of 8 standard questions. The crucial part is to make sure that you have detailed examples for each. If you find that there are many probing questions (questions asking for more detail off of the original question) then you need to be more explicit in your answers. If your interviewer asks the main question and all of the probing questions initially - they have no idea on how to interview! Focus on the answering the first question in great detail and the probes will be answered.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about yourself. This is the time where you get to sell yourself. Pick your strongest qualities. If you need to discuss your areas of opportunity, select something that can also be a strength. For example: I tend to analyze problems down to the smallest detail which can be time consuming.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Shift Manager Interview

Interview

applied, got a call, 1 hour interview, got a call back and accepted the job.

Shift Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart.

Interview

For salaried position there is a pannel interview, either shift managers/store manager for an assistant manager position, or store managers/market managers for a shift position. The interview consist of 6 competancies and they are based on how well you managed/adapted/reacted to challenges and the results.

Interview Questions

• They are all straight forward questions and answers, so there are no trick questions. It has to do more about how confident you are on your responses and how well spoken you are.   1 Answer
    • The questions are in the following format: "tell me about a time when you were faced with a difficult assignment that needed to be done in a specific time", "tell us about the assignment, who did you involved, what were the challenges, what was the outcome, what would you do different?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiating with Walmart, the offers are non-negotiable...unless you are being hired for the store manager or market manager position. Also, if you apply for their inner city stores you will be offered an incentive

Shift Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

Interview

Called me to schedule interview and then called back the day of to reschedule. It was a panel interview of two store managers and a shift manager. Had questions that were read off, each person taking a turn. Questions were looking for specific examples of how you demonstrate your management skills. For example "Give me a specific example of a time your lead a team through a difficult situation were there was a short time frame?"

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the interview was just relaxing and not getting to nervous.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offered the position told the pay scale and that it was non negotiable after accepting I was given a start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart (South Bend, IN) in April 2013.

Interview

Interview questions are based on tell me about a time when... Interviewer is looking for a specific example, not, "I always do...". Questions are all behavioral based. There are a pretty standard 5 to seven questions. The interview process is a two step process. The first one is with SM, market manager, and market HR. The second is typically market HR and possibly store manager, the first is typically a phone interview, and the second is face to face or phone. If it's a phone interview, write down bullet points of your accomplishments because you can probably choose on of those accomplishments and manipulate it to fit the question.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time in which you changed a product or service based on specific need of a customer? What do you look for when you interview someone? There is a question about compliance.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Walmart (Exton, PA).

Interview

Panel interview via phone. Then a Market management walk at a neutral store. If you make it through those two processes there is a third interview with Regional management.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Walmart's questions are ethical and steer towards black and white answers. Competency based questions based on job description. STAR.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary is not negotiable. RPZ rate additional to base salary with accordance to geographic location.