Walmart Shift Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Shift Manager Interview

Situational based questions that are open ended questions. Always looking for what you would do as a leader in the work force. Previous interviews with Wal-Mart set a similar basis for the questions asked during the interview. Always prepare situations that show a positive outcome for the decision made. Always be prepared to end with what the outcome was for the situation.

No negotiation. Pay is based on regional area

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart.

All interviews are scenario based - first interview with an hourly supervisor and the second with a salaried member of management.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenton, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenton, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart in May 2014.

Received a call one week ago to schedule an interview. Phone interview lasted roughly 30 minutes and consisted of 8 standard questions. The crucial part is to make sure that you have detailed examples for each. If you find that there are many probing questions (questions asking for more detail off of the original question) then you need to be more explicit in your answers. If your interviewer asks the main question and all of the probing questions initially - they have no idea on how to interview! Focus on the answering the first question in great detail and the probes will be answered.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a little bit about yourself. This is the time where you get to sell yourself. Pick your strongest qualities. If you need to discuss your areas of opportunity, select something that can also be a strength. For example: I tend to analyze problems down to the smallest detail which can be time consuming.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation.

Shift Manager Interview

applied, got a call, 1 hour interview, got a call back and accepted the job.

Shift Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart.

For salaried position there is a pannel interview, either shift managers/store manager for an assistant manager position, or store managers/market managers for a shift position. The interview consist of 6 competancies and they are based on how well you managed/adapted/reacted to challenges and the results.

Interview Questions
    • They are all straight forward questions and answers, so there are no trick questions. It has to do more about how confident you are on your responses and how well spoken you are.   View Answer
    • The questions are in the following format: "tell me about a time when you were faced with a difficult assignment that needed to be done in a specific time", "tell us about the assignment, who did you involved, what were the challenges, what was the outcome, what would you do different?"   View Answer
    There is no negotiating with Walmart, the offers are non-negotiable...unless you are being hired for the store manager or market manager position. Also, if you apply for their inner city stores you will be offered an incentive

Shift Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

Called me to schedule interview and then called back the day of to reschedule. It was a panel interview of two store managers and a shift manager. Had questions that were read off, each person taking a turn. Questions were looking for specific examples of how you demonstrate your management skills. For example "Give me a specific example of a time your lead a team through a difficult situation were there was a short time frame?"

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview was just relaxing and not getting to nervous.   Answer Question
    Offered the position told the pay scale and that it was non negotiable after accepting I was given a start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

Panel interview via phone. Then a Market management walk at a neutral store. If you make it through those two processes there is a third interview with Regional management.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Walmart's questions are ethical and steer towards black and white answers. Competency based questions based on job description. STAR.   Answer Question
    Salary is not negotiable. RPZ rate additional to base salary with accordance to geographic location.

Shift Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Walmart.

The first interview and second interview can consist of 10 behavioral questions each, that seek to determine your abilities based on past experiences and your reactions to them. They generally cover basic retail topics, like: sales, store standards, diversity, ethics, financials, customer service, etc.
    It is always best to remember to answer with specific projects or experiences, while omitting other people's personal details. Remember to hit all the bases, who, what, when, where, how, and the result of your experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Walmart in October 2012.

1 interview and promoted within the company

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashland, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashland, KY

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Walmart in May 2012.

Internal interview of an Assistant Manager. Started with phone call to set up phone interview, completed the next day. One week later, got email to set up for second interview- again on the phone. Both interviews consisted of the same type of situational questions- tell me about a time... Another week later, got an email to set up a store tour in the area. Tour was three 20 minute area tours followed by a 10 minute "pitch" of myself and a review of my performance- which was BRUTAL! They were unflinchingly honest of my tour- good and bad. Another week later, got a phone call offering the position- accepted. Everyone was very friendly and bled Walmart culture- very "respect for the individual" but also a very corporate atmosphere. Unprofessional in terms of store managers kept answering their text messages and didn't silence their phones in respect of my "pitch" time. One even texted through a majority of my tour. Left the interview feeling very unsure of what would happen and almost regretting my decision to apply. Actual first two interviews fairly easy. 3rd interview brutal.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a partnership your have established in your community that has benefited the image of your store or the company?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about when your used delegation to complete your daily tasks?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Set salary.