Walmart

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Warrenton, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart in May 2014.

Interview Details – Received a call one week ago to schedule an interview. Phone interview lasted roughly 30 minutes and consisted of 8 standard questions. The crucial part is to make sure that you have detailed examples for each. If you find that there are many probing questions (questions asking for more detail off of the original question) then you need to be more explicit in your answers. If your interviewer asks the main question and all of the probing questions initially - they have no idea on how to interview! Focus on the answering the first question in great detail and the probes will be answered.

Interview Question – Tell me a little bit about yourself. This is the time where you get to sell yourself. Pick your strongest qualities. If you need to discuss your areas of opportunity, select something that can also be a strength. For example: I tend to analyze problems down to the smallest detail which can be time consuming.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation.

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – All interviews are scenario based - first interview with an hourly supervisor and the second with a salaried member of management.

Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Walmart in February 2011.

Interview Details – 2 step process. First a phone conference call with store manager and market human resources. The last step is the 2nd interview with market manager and human resource manager. The questions are read off a sheet based on the competences of a shift manager. It is a good sign if you get the second interview.

Interview Question – What do I think the greatest challenge of the job will be if I am selected?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Salary is pre-set

Interviewed at Walmart

Interview Details – applied, got a call, 1 hour interview, got a call back and accepted the job.

Shift Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – For salaried position there is a pannel interview, either shift managers/store manager for an assistant manager position, or store managers/market managers for a shift position. The interview consist of 6 competancies and they are based on how well you managed/adapted/reacted to challenges and the results.

Interview Questions

• They are all straight forward questions and answers, so there are no trick questions. It has to do more about how confident you are on your responses and how well spoken you are.   View Answer
  • The questions are in the following format: "tell me about a time when you were faced with a difficult assignment that needed to be done in a specific time", "tell us about the assignment, who did you involved, what were the challenges, what was the outcome, what would you do different?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating with Walmart, the offers are non-negotiable...unless you are being hired for the store manager or market manager position. Also, if you apply for their inner city stores you will be offered an incentive

Shift Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Called me to schedule interview and then called back the day of to reschedule. It was a panel interview of two store managers and a shift manager. Had questions that were read off, each person taking a turn. Questions were looking for specific examples of how you demonstrate your management skills. For example "Give me a specific example of a time your lead a team through a difficult situation were there was a short time frame?"

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the interview was just relaxing and not getting to nervous.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered the position told the pay scale and that it was non negotiable after accepting I was given a start date.

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart in October 2012.

Interview Details – 1 interview and promoted within the company

Interview Question – Name a time you had to   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Exton, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – Panel interview via phone. Then a Market management walk at a neutral store. If you make it through those two processes there is a third interview with Regional management.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Walmart's questions are ethical and steer towards black and white answers. Competency based questions based on job description. STAR.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary is not negotiable. RPZ rate additional to base salary with accordance to geographic location.

Shift Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – The first interview and second interview can consist of 10 behavioral questions each, that seek to determine your abilities based on past experiences and your reactions to them. They generally cover basic retail topics, like: sales, store standards, diversity, ethics, financials, customer service, etc.
It is always best to remember to answer with specific projects or experiences, while omitting other people's personal details. Remember to hit all the bases, who, what, when, where, how, and the result of your experience.

Ashland, KY

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in May 2012.

Interview Details – Internal interview of an Assistant Manager. Started with phone call to set up phone interview, completed the next day. One week later, got email to set up for second interview- again on the phone. Both interviews consisted of the same type of situational questions- tell me about a time... Another week later, got an email to set up a store tour in the area. Tour was three 20 minute area tours followed by a 10 minute "pitch" of myself and a review of my performance- which was BRUTAL! They were unflinchingly honest of my tour- good and bad. Another week later, got a phone call offering the position- accepted. Everyone was very friendly and bled Walmart culture- very "respect for the individual" but also a very corporate atmosphere. Unprofessional in terms of store managers kept answering their text messages and didn't silence their phones in respect of my "pitch" time. One even texted through a majority of my tour. Left the interview feeling very unsure of what would happen and almost regretting my decision to apply. Actual first two interviews fairly easy. 3rd interview brutal.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a partnership your have established in your community that has benefited the image of your store or the company?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about when your used delegation to complete your daily tasks?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Set salary.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!