Walmart Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014

3.4

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Store Manager Interview

Initial interview is often by phone. Followup interview will be a panel. Both interviews are ten behavorial questions. Be prepared with a number of scenarios that demonstrate your leadership capabilities.

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Store Manager Interview

2-3 interview process. Usually takes 2-3 weeks.
    Usually never hire an outside candidate for store manager position.
    Have training positions.

Interview Questions
    • All situational questions. Looking for specific examples of customer service, employee relations and/ or compliance and ethics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart.

It was online at first and then after a few weeks I called them. I waited a few more days and then finally got a call back. It was then another week before I had the interview and then 2 weeks after the interview I finally received feedback from the interview and was offered a job.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me about my family life which I thought was inappropriate.   Answer Question

In the end, I didn't like the direction the company was going.

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart.

There were at least 10-20 people for the interview. We were sitting in one room going over the company etc. Then we had to fill out another form with our availability, resume, references, etc. After that Q & A and we were done for the first interview. We were told to receive a phone call.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions are related to your experience and how you would handle them. Therefore, any question could be considered difficult should you not have the answer to a certain scenario. Just make sure you are ready and can answer / relate to questions and answer them to the best of your ability.   Answer Question

Because I feelt as if I did not really like the environment, and what was expected vs. pay etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Walmart in October 2011.

Interview phone questions were strictly down the line of the WalMart job skills for the position, 12 of them. Face to face interview consisted of a "what if scenario" business plan development and presentation to a panel consisting of the HR person, and 2 Market Managers. 20 minutes to prep and 10 minute presentation. 2 of us were brought in at the same time given same criteria and prep time. Unfortunately the second person to present had an additional 10 mintues (my presentation time) to mentally walk through his more to improve overal presentation. That this gave an advantage to the 2nd one.
    Overall, thought the process was very shallow, not much face time to really sell yourself.

Interview Questions
    • questions were basic to those skills expected of a retail store manager.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Walmart in October 2010.

Initial interview was a phone interview. After that I was brought to a store to tour as if I were the store manager of that facility. A conducted a store tour with actual salaried and hourly associates with other there to observe.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a past experience that you had where you developed a strategy to grow sales in a competitive environment change. What was that change, what was your plan, what was the outcome.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, AR

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Walmart in April 2010.

2 phone interviews, then a "walk thru" where I had to tour with associates in different ares of the store. Finished with a quick panel interview where I had to talk for 1 Minute about why I was the best candidate.
    Very professional. I thought that it all went good, but the position was given to a different candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Described some customer-focused actions you've taken or policies you've implemented that have produced positive results. Give me a specific example.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been in a situation in which you had to redirect the activities of others to be in accord with the organizations vision and values? What did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ypsilanti, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ypsilanti, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart in November 2009.

It was a very painful experience. I felt like the interviewer did not like me personally because of how I look. Anyway, Wal-mart is a cool place to shop but a horrible place to work at or interview at. Good luck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied in-person – interviewed at Walmart in October 2009.

The interview consists of phone interview with HR, phone interview with the market manager and market HR person. Then you are selected to perform a store tour which includes three areas of the store and a business case near the end.

No Negotiation. The company uses a national scale that is geographically based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Walmart in September 2009.

The interview was a 2-day event:
    Day 1: Initial behavioral phone interview
    Day 2: In-person interview consisting of panel interview (behavioral) with the Market Manager and his/her team followed by a graded store walk and P&L review.

The interview was superfluous and for the most part, the Walmart Market Managers have decided who they are going to hire prior to the actual interview. I was fortunate to have corporate sponsorship and was selected for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Decsribe a time when you were asked to do something that violated your integrity. What did you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe the most diverse team you have every managed. What difficulties di you encounter and what did you do?   Answer Question
    Offer was not negotiable