Walmart

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Walmart in October 2010.

Interview Details – Initial interview was a phone interview. After that I was brought to a store to tour as if I were the store manager of that facility. A conducted a store tour with actual salaried and hourly associates with other there to observe.

Interview Question – Tell me about a past experience that you had where you developed a strategy to grow sales in a competitive environment change. What was that change, what was your plan, what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – It was online at first and then after a few weeks I called them. I waited a few more days and then finally got a call back. It was then another week before I had the interview and then 2 weeks after the interview I finally received feedback from the interview and was offered a job.

Interview Question – They asked me about my family life which I thought was inappropriate.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – In the end, I didn't like the direction the company was going.

Toledo, OH

I applied in-person - interviewed at Walmart in October 2009.

Interview Details – The interview consists of phone interview with HR, phone interview with the market manager and market HR person. Then you are selected to perform a store tour which includes three areas of the store and a business case near the end.

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation. The company uses a national scale that is geographically based.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in July 2009.

Interview Details – Was an internal hire. I did two phone interviews and then a walk through of the store I was applying for.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual. Although now a business scenario presentation is part of the walk through process. You are given a scenario and given 20 to 30 minutes to develop a plan and then present it to the group of managers making the hiring recommendation that day.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. There are set salaries for the positions based on the sales volume of the stores.

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart.

Interview Details – There were at least 10-20 people for the interview. We were sitting in one room going over the company etc. Then we had to fill out another form with our availability, resume, references, etc. After that Q & A and we were done for the first interview. We were told to receive a phone call.

Interview Question – Most of the questions are related to your experience and how you would handle them. Therefore, any question could be considered difficult should you not have the answer to a certain scenario. Just make sure you are ready and can answer / relate to questions and answer them to the best of your ability.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Because I feelt as if I did not really like the environment, and what was expected vs. pay etc.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Walmart in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interview phone questions were strictly down the line of the WalMart job skills for the position, 12 of them. Face to face interview consisted of a "what if scenario" business plan development and presentation to a panel consisting of the HR person, and 2 Market Managers. 20 minutes to prep and 10 minute presentation. 2 of us were brought in at the same time given same criteria and prep time. Unfortunately the second person to present had an additional 10 mintues (my presentation time) to mentally walk through his more to improve overal presentation. That this gave an advantage to the 2nd one.
Overall, thought the process was very shallow, not much face time to really sell yourself.

Interview Question – questions were basic to those skills expected of a retail store manager.   Answer Question

Ypsilanti, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Walmart in November 2009.

Interview Details – It was a very painful experience. I felt like the interviewer did not like me personally because of how I look. Anyway, Wal-mart is a cool place to shop but a horrible place to work at or interview at. Good luck.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Jacksonville, AR

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in April 2010.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, then a "walk thru" where I had to tour with associates in different ares of the store. Finished with a quick panel interview where I had to talk for 1 Minute about why I was the best candidate.
Very professional. I thought that it all went good, but the position was given to a different candidate.

Interview Questions

• Described some customer-focused actions you've taken or policies you've implemented that have produced positive results. Give me a specific example.   Answer Question
  • Have you ever been in a situation in which you had to redirect the activities of others to be in accord with the organizations vision and values? What did you do?   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart in August 2008.

Interview Details – The process started with a phone interview from Human Resources. The next step was a panel interview with HR, and the Market Manager. The next step was a store tour with a competing candidate, HR, Market Manager, and a member of the Regional team. This tour consisted of an analysis of competencies, knowledge inquiry and skill check.

Interview Question – What is the most important quality that a store manager must possess to be successful?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Walmart in September 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was a 2-day event:
Day 1: Initial behavioral phone interview
Day 2: In-person interview consisting of panel interview (behavioral) with the Market Manager and his/her team followed by a graded store walk and P&L review.

The interview was superfluous and for the most part, the Walmart Market Managers have decided who they are going to hire prior to the actual interview. I was fortunate to have corporate sponsorship and was selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Decsribe a time when you were asked to do something that violated your integrity. What did you do?   Answer Question
  • Describe the most diverse team you have every managed. What difficulties di you encounter and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was not negotiable

Interviews for Top Jobs at Walmart

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart Videos

Walmart – Why Work for Us?

Our Businesses Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. And every division, business unit and department that makes up Walmart is committed to using our company’s size and scale to make the biggest… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Walmart employees and interview candidates.