Walmart Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Walmart (Portland, OR) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a 2 step process with a phone interview and then a store tour interview. The phone interview seemed traditional enough, they asked about specific types of ways I had effected the business and what the out come was. The store tour was most interesting it was a hour and a half period of time that you walked the store and pretended you were a store manager as well as a small window where you were given a business situation and had 15 min to come up with a plan to present.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you saw a potential opportunity for shrink and stopped it before it was an actually issue.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Walmart

Store Manager Interview

Interview

Initial interview is often by phone. Followup interview will be a panel. Both interviews are ten behavorial questions. Be prepared with a number of scenarios that demonstrate your leadership capabilities.

Store Manager Interview

Interview

2-3 interview process. Usually takes 2-3 weeks. Usually never hire an outside candidate for store manager position. Have training positions.

Interview Questions

• All situational questions. Looking for specific examples of customer service, employee relations and/ or compliance and ethics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Walmart (Silver Spring, MD).

Interview

It was online at first and then after a few weeks I called them. I waited a few more days and then finally got a call back. It was then another week before I had the interview and then 2 weeks after the interview I finally received feedback from the interview and was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my family life which I thought was inappropriate.   Answer Question

In the end, I didn't like the direction the company was going.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Walmart.

Interview

There were at least 10-20 people for the interview. We were sitting in one room going over the company etc. Then we had to fill out another form with our availability, resume, references, etc. After that Q & A and we were done for the first interview. We were told to receive a phone call.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions are related to your experience and how you would handle them. Therefore, any question could be considered difficult should you not have the answer to a certain scenario. Just make sure you are ready and can answer / relate to questions and answer them to the best of your ability.   Answer Question

Because I feelt as if I did not really like the environment, and what was expected vs. pay etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Walmart (Bakersfield, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Internal interviews are in many cases already decided before they happen. This was the case with mine and only went through the interview for continuity and received the job as discussed prior to it.

Interview Questions

• Are you ready to move to a better store since all you have done is fix problems for us.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Walmart (Houston, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

Interview phone questions were strictly down the line of the WalMart job skills for the position, 12 of them. Face to face interview consisted of a "what if scenario" business plan development and presentation to a panel consisting of the HR person, and 2 Market Managers. 20 minutes to prep and 10 minute presentation. 2 of us were brought in at the same time given same criteria and prep time. Unfortunately the second person to present had an additional 10 mintues (my presentation time) to mentally walk through his more to improve overal presentation. That this gave an advantage to the 2nd one. Overall, thought the process was very shallow, not much face time to really sell yourself.

Interview Questions

• questions were basic to those skills expected of a retail store manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Walmart (Portland, ME) in September 2011.

Interview

Structured interview process, with Dist Mgr, then with panel. Took assessments on customer service, safety, leadership. Sent for drug screening & offered position. Good process overall. Also had 3rd. interview with Reg. manager.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work for them.   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Walmart in October 2010.

Interview

Initial interview was a phone interview. After that I was brought to a store to tour as if I were the store manager of that facility. A conducted a store tour with actual salaried and hourly associates with other there to observe.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a past experience that you had where you developed a strategy to grow sales in a competitive environment change. What was that change, what was your plan, what was the outcome.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, AR

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart (Jacksonville, AR) in April 2010.

Interview

2 phone interviews, then a "walk thru" where I had to tour with associates in different ares of the store. Finished with a quick panel interview where I had to talk for 1 Minute about why I was the best candidate. Very professional. I thought that it all went good, but the position was given to a different candidate.

Interview Questions

• Described some customer-focused actions you've taken or policies you've implemented that have produced positive results. Give me a specific example.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been in a situation in which you had to redirect the activities of others to be in accord with the organizations vision and values? What did you do?   Answer Question