Walt Disney Animation Studios

Updated Nov 9, 2014

2.7

Character TD Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Walt Disney Animation Studios (Burbank, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I had been applying for 2 years for their internship program. So the dept leads were aware of my progress. After graduating, I decided to apply for the Character TD apprentice position, a full time paid position for upto a year at Walt Disney.
    I was selected for an interview. While the interview slot was for 1.5 hours, my interview lasted only 8 mins, start to finish. My panel had 3 interviewers: 1 rigging supervisor who knew my work well and had given me valuable tips to improve my work in the past. the second was an animator and the other was a technical animator.
    They saw my reel and asked me just one technical question about the reel. Once I explained what they had asked, they wanted to know in which part of the pipeline my technique would fit. My third question was... "do you have any questions for us?"
    And that was it... I got a call in a couple of days conveying their decision to bring me on as a character TD apprentice.

This interview was far more relaxed and easier than any other interview I had attended. Very casual mood, but also technical and very specific to my demo reel.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for us? (the face that this was the third question, 7 mins into the interview)   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I left the expected salary lank as this was my first job after graduation. I had no idea how much to put there.
    The final compensation is on the lower side. I wish now that I had put in a number there and left it to them to decide how much to pay me.

CG Animator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Walt Disney Animation Studios (Burbank, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. Interview was a 2 part , 2 panel, in person interview that lasted one hour total. It took much preparation. For the interview itself, the tone was professional and very on topic with much information being exchanged from both sides. But it was not difficult, was very conversational in tone, and all the panelists were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• The questions pertained to ones personal experiences, so there arent any "stock" interview questions to prepare for, with the exception off maybe one or two typical interview questions , such as " what have you been doing since your last job?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

Brief. The offer was good and was accepted because it was very fair.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

2 rounds interview. First was via phone and second was on-site. During the phone interview, we talked about several projects I did before, the reason why I am applying Disney animation studio, programming skills. On site interview included many rounds. They are technical staffs in the studio. They are very friendly and asked about many questions about my professional experience.

Interview Questions

• Nothing is specially difficult. All the staffs are very gentle and nice. Some questions about the technical details are the most difficult ones. I cannot remember the specific questions they asked at that time. Some questions about programming were also very interesting and requires carefully thinking.   Answer Question

Creative Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Walt Disney Animation Studios (Burbank, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

One call that just went over basic information, and two Skype interviews with industry professionals (I was from out of state, but people from around the Burbank area would go to the office of an interview).

Interview Questions

• They asked why I was interested (specific aspect of the internship) and how my past positions have prepared me for this.   1 Answer

Negotiation

n/a

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Walt Disney Animation Studios (Burbank, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Lots of Disney corporate hoops to jump through before I was able to interview with the studio. Had to fill out multiple forms online and work with a recruiter for 2 weeks before getting an interview date.
    Did 5 interviews in 1 day with and got them all out of the way at once. Interviews ranged from job specific questions to bigger picture of how the departments fit and work together.

Interview Questions

• How experienced are you with rpm spec files and patching software   Answer Question

Negotiation

Took 2 weeks after the interviews to get an offer. I didn't need to negotiate because they offered more than the base I was seeking.

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Walt Disney Animation Studios (Burbank, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I had been applying to Disney for years, I had had one other interview for a different position in the past, but it wasn't the right position for me and I'm glad it didn't work out. My first interview was for the WDAS, but the interview was held at Disney Corporate down the street, which I felt was much more difficult, less friendly, and less welcoming.

It wasn't until this position that I felt my resume supported my enthusiasm. I had used CTN as a great resource in meeting and getting to know the recruitment team (Who are a wonderful and very respectable group of people). They were very helpful in reviewing my resume and helping me understand exactly what they wanted in production hires. When the right position was open, my resume was mentioned in the hiring process and I was asked to interview.

I was told that I would have a panel interview by five production supervisors within a half-hour. The day of, however, I received an email with an update mentioning that I might have up to fourteen people interviewing me. In the end I had three back-to-back interviews with a total of nine people in all, over the course of two and a half hours. It was the most laid-back and easy interview I've ever had. I got to spend time with people who shared similar interests, geek out about production, and, well, enjoy being at Disney! I think it's important to mention though, that I'd visited the studio many times previously and so I was comfortable and familiar with being there - which was probably a huge factor in my lack of stress during the interview.

They had a lot of people to interview for many positions similar to mine, so it took them three weeks before I got the call with the job offer. I accepted, couldn't be happier!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in production for animation as apposed to live action?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Interview

Phone call interview

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Interview

Through Disney's website, I applied online. A few weeks later, I received an email that told me the all candidates will be considered in following several days. Then about one week later, I received an email that I was rejected.

3D Modeler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Walt Disney Animation Studios (Burbank, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied online, and recruiter. They reviewed my demo reel and resume, then one day later I got a suggestion to inverview in Burbank studios. a week later had a interview with 1 HR or recruiter, and two character, environment supervisor. I showed them my demo reel, and talked about reel and my experience. Interview was just normal than so far. Actually I had an interview at Disney animation a year ago. At that time I had a several group interview for a long time. but process has been changed. Anyway two weeks later I contacted them, but had a news that I was rejected.

Interview Questions

• what position do you want?   1 Answer

Concept Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Walt Disney Animation Studios (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

interview went pretty smooth. I show my portfolio and the art book that I had made for graduation, they review them carefully and like them a lot. they are willing to give me an art test by the time they start hiring.