Walt Disney Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Custodial Cast Member, DLR Interview

Custodial Cast Member, DLR

I applied online and interviewed at Walt Disney Company.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process is extensive and intense, but so exciting. If you are selected to move on after the initial application online, you will be asked to complete an online interview. This online interview is extensive in itself and consists of a personality/compatibility type format. If you are selected to move on after the online interview, you will be asked to choose an interview time for an in person interview. Business formal is a must. I went to the Disneyland Anaheim office to interview. The interview was generally standard, but of course focused on customer service and passion for the company or your work. The hiring process was beyond exciting. Disney is very much about an inside culture and you not only go through extensive training, but become part of a family through special events and exclusive experiences, like a backstage tour.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was along the lines of giving an example of a time when you were on a team, something went wrong, and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

Interviewed at Walt Disney Company

Interview Details – I applied online at disyney.com and receives an immediate response from the HR for a phone interview. The HR phone screen interview was very straight forward and specific to changing business priorities, out come driven initiatives and value substantiation. Then i was scheduled for a second interview which went very well and hope to get the role. I am still waiting for the offer call or email.

Interview Question – I was given a business case and asked to analyze and describe how one could demonstrate value substantiation.   Answer Question

Reservation Sales Agent, Disney Reservation Interview

Reservation Sales Agent, Disney Reservation
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in May 2014.

Interview Details – Very fast process.

Day 1: Applied online.
Day 2: Received email invitation to schedule phone interview
Day 3: Had phone interview and received email invitation to schedule Face-to-Face Interview from a list of available dates.

Day of Interview: Went in the training room (I had worked PT evenings in their dining division at the same location 8 years prior) with about 15 others and watched the video and took the personality, basic skills and call center simulation test. After completion, waited about 20 minutes to be called for the face-to-face interview. Interview was typical. Was surprised that my wearing a traditional pants suit was considered over-dressed. While I realize that the day-to-day dress code is very casual, I thought dressing right for the interview would be appreciated. But I digress.

Was hoping to get a decent shift, despite seniority -- but a LOT has changed in 8 years. They used to hire on the spot and run fingerprints the day of the interview. Not now, they rarely hire part-time anymore, and newbies get absolutely no weekends off. The shift was 1:45 pm - 11:00 pm. While the benefits are out of this world, how would you enjoy them with those days and hours?

Day 7 (after the interview): Received job offer at 9 o'clock at night. Almost didn't answer my phone because it was from an "Unknown" number. Since I had a week to think it over and how it would impact my work-life balance (regardless of free park admission), I declined the job. Although during the 2 month training you get Sundays off, I didn't want to start the job and end up quitting because of the call center hours after training. Didn't want to burn a bridge.

I hope they start hiring part-time again. I'd reapply in a heartbeat!

Interview Question – None. Standard questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The shift. No weekends off and 1:45pm-11pm evening shift.

Very Difficult Interview

Undeclared Interview

Undeclared
Orlando, FL

I applied online and interviewed at Walt Disney Company.

Interview Details – I am a manager and was thrilled to be interviewing for a corporate position, but I became disenchanted during the hiring process.

Initial phone interview by HR about 10 days after online application. The HR team is nicely organized and communicative. Video interview a week later. On-site 2 weeks after that. I was the final/sole candidate at that point.

Each interview was different, and not what was expected at that "stage" of the process. (Personally, I didn't feel that I performed that great from Day 1, and was wondering why they even kept me moving forward?! But I thought perhaps I underestimated my ability, or they really just had no one better to choose from! )

Once on-site, (a vast sea of small cubicles and plain conference rooms,) I met with about 8 people. Hard to explain here, but it feels like a police interrogation, like they have the answers already and know you're guilty, but they enjoy putting you through their line of questioning. Very uncomfortable. They seem to derive some pleasure out of it. Had it been a different company, I'd have removed myself from candidacy...I got the feeling I wouldn't have much job security if hired in this role; they'd always be looking for a way to make me look bad.

I actually wished/expected they'd give me some sort of project vs. a series of interrogations where I was defending myself (rather than illustrating my capabilities). With few exceptions (upper management, who I quite liked,) they came off as smug and unyielding; also, there was a universal vibe of frustration in working for a giant company where decisions go through so many levels, and effecting change is nearly impossible.

I ended up questioning whether I even want to work there in any capacity. I'd already expressed reservations to my family. Sadly, if this was a good example of their culture, maybe it's not for me, after all.

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting to be instructed to explain a gap in employment from 15+ years ago. (Really?!)   Answer Question

Vice President Marketing Interview

Vice President Marketing

Interviewed at Walt Disney Company

Interview Details – Called to set up the interview and that was in two weeks. Panel/ committee meeting and they gave me a business case to analyze. three hour interview. Then called in a week for meeting with my new supervisor. Called a week later and accepted the job.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected or difficult. all went well.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in May 2014.

Interview Details – Got an email requesting me to sign up for an initial phone screening. I spoke to a recruiter during the screening and she asked me general questions about availability, interests, and personality. She was very nice and enthusiastic. After three weeks I finally got an email back saying they want to interview me. I scheduled an interview with the hiring managers. We spoke over the phone and it was a fairly typical interview. They asked me about my prior experiences and different skills relevant for this position. I never heard anything back even after following up, and found out I didn't get the offer only by checking the online application status.

Interview Question – Use three words to describe yourself.
How do you feel about Disney?
Tell us about a difficult experience you faced.
  Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Walt Disney Company.

Interview Details – Video Conference Call to go over basic technical questions with lead engineer. Very easy, asked about basic technologies like REST and grep and asked basic data structure questions on hashtables, lists, etc. Algorithm question was about autocomplete of words given an input string and frequency counts of words.

Interview Question – Algorithm question was about autocomplete of words given an input string and frequency counts of words.   Answer Question

Lobby Concierge/Cashier Interview

Lobby Concierge/Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was already working full time for Disney as a front desk cast member when the concierge position was posted online. I applied online and recieved an invitation to complete an online interview within hours or submitting my application. The next day I got an email inviting me to schedule an in person interview which I scheduled for about a week and a half from then. I arrived very early for my interview and was taken back early. About 15 minutes into the interview I was told I had the job and that I'd get a call sometime in the next two weeks letting me know which resort I'd be working at. The next morning I got the call and started concierge training two weeks later.

Interview Question – A guest comes up to you and immediately asked to speak with a manager. What do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there's no negotiating with Disney, I was told it's be a $0.50/hour pay increase from my front desk salary and that was it

College Internship Interview

College Internship
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the college internship for a cast character. The woman I spoke to was very nice yet did not show much emotion due to the fact of not wanting to show any favoritism or any tip that I would be moving on to the next step. My interview was great and I moved on to the audition process where I was declined for my height but they were great people and it was an amazing experience

Interview Question – What would you do if a child stepped on you and you were a headed costume that does not speak?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview

Burbank, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied this position online. A couple days late, I received a email from Disney which asked for a phone interview. Then, I scheduled a spot to do the interview with the HR person. The question included a lot of behavioral questions. The HR personnel sounds very energetic and enthusiastic. You can tell the passion through the conversation with him. Overall, I think I did ok, but I haven't get the ticket to next round.

Interview Question – What's the most difficult situation you were facing? How did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Worked for Walt Disney Company? Contribute to the Community!