Walt Disney Company

197 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Forecasting Analyst Interview

Forecasting Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in December 2013.

Interview Details – Two interviews with management and potential peers.

Interview Question – Forecasting case study   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was my first job out of college, so I didn't negotiate much, but I did ask for a relocation package.

Very Difficult Interview

Undeclared Interview

Undeclared
Orlando, FL

I applied online and interviewed at Walt Disney Company.

Interview Details – I am a manager and was thrilled to be interviewing for a corporate position, but I became disenchanted during the hiring process.

Initial phone interview by HR about 10 days after online application. The HR team is nicely organized and communicative. Video interview a week later. On-site 2 weeks after that. I was the final/sole candidate at that point.

Each interview was different, and not what was expected at that "stage" of the process. (Personally, I didn't feel that I performed that great from Day 1, and was wondering why they even kept me moving forward?! But I thought perhaps I underestimated my ability, or they really just had no one better to choose from! )

Once on-site, (a vast sea of small cubicles and plain conference rooms,) I met with about 8 people. Hard to explain here, but it feels like a police interrogation, like they have the answers already and know you're guilty, but they enjoy putting you through their line of questioning. Very uncomfortable. They seem to derive some pleasure out of it. Had it been a different company, I'd have removed myself from candidacy...I got the feeling I wouldn't have much job security if hired in this role; they'd always be looking for a way to make me look bad.

I actually wished/expected they'd give me some sort of project vs. a series of interrogations where I was defending myself (rather than illustrating my capabilities). With few exceptions (upper management, who I quite liked,) they came off as smug and unyielding; also, there was a universal vibe of frustration in working for a giant company where decisions go through so many levels, and effecting change is nearly impossible.

I ended up questioning whether I even want to work there in any capacity. I'd already expressed reservations to my family. Sadly, if this was a good example of their culture, maybe it's not for me, after all.

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting to be instructed to explain a gap in employment from 15+ years ago. (Really?!)   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

Finance Intern
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in September 2012.

Interview Details – One phone interview that was very basic and after that, an interview that focused on my job application. I didn't get past that part, but I know that that was the end of the process.

Interview Question – Very detailed accounting related questions, such as what type of income is best to go by, etc.   Answer Question

College Internship Interview

College Internship
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the college internship for a cast character. The woman I spoke to was very nice yet did not show much emotion due to the fact of not wanting to show any favoritism or any tip that I would be moving on to the next step. My interview was great and I moved on to the audition process where I was declined for my height but they were great people and it was an amazing experience

Interview Question – What would you do if a child stepped on you and you were a headed costume that does not speak?   View Answer

College Program Interview

College Program

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – First you have to submit an application online with your basic information and what roles you would like to apply for. After that if they like you, they will send you an email with an invitation to do a web based interview. After this interview is completed, if they select you to move on, you will get another email asking to schedule a phone interview.
HOW TO MAKE A LIST OF THINGS TO SAY IN THE INTERVIEW
1. Think of the roles you want to apply for. Doesn't matter what it is, just think of the roles.
Identify what makes someone THE BEST at that role. Not just good, the best. What does the picture perfect cast member look like? If you want to be a Fairy Godmother in training, what in your mind is a perfect FGiT?

2. Think of that list of traits and qualities, and then think of how many of those you exemplify or that experience has given you. For example, if you're applying for Concierge and you know Concierge folk have to be friendly and welcoming, and you've gotten lots of experience and were told you were definitely friendly and welcoming, that's a good thing. Write it down.

3. Now you have a list of things YOU'RE good at that match what the PICTURE PERFECT CAST MEMBER is good at. It may not match completely, but that's OK. You now want to remember stories of your experiences- what was one EXCEPTIONAL time that you displayed the traits you know you're good at? If you're having trouble, try thinking back to times you had to deal with difficult Guests/customers, and situations like those where you handled it well. Remember several of these stories, and write them down. The more the better.

4. Practice recalling these stories out loud until they are natural.

5. You're all set. Now all you have to do is, whenever they ask a question of you, see if you can answer the question by steering the conversation in the direction of your experiences.

QUESTIONS SOMEONE WAS ASKED DURING THEIR INTERVIEW
1. We talked about my past work experience and she asked which job that I’ve had has been my favorite.

2. The ever important why you want to work for Disney and if I’d ever consider working full time with Disney. This is definitely something you’re going to want to have an answer prepared for as it is always asked. I was also asked if I had a favorite park or attraction.

3. Would you rather work in groups or independently?

4. How would you describe your work pace?

5. She of course asked what my top 3 roles were and asked if I would be interested in adding custodial or housekeeping. She made a comment about how I had a good long list of roles at the beginning of the interview. This really made me nervous even though she said there was no right or wrong answer and after I said no, she just said ok and we moved on. It’s quite common for interviewers to ask if you’re willing to add roles such as QSFB or housekeeping to your checklist as these are roles that require a lot of people but not many people want. If you really don’t want to do them, don’t be afraid to say no. I said my top 3 were Attractions, Merchandise, and Character Attendant.

6. Why do you want to be a character attendant?

7. What have you done in your past jobs where you’ve made a guest feel special?

8. How would I instill Disney magic from beginning to end at the entrances? Or something like that. This was a question directed towards Main Entrance Operations.

9. Do you have any cash handling experience? I mentioned working at a fast food restaurant at the beginning and after asking this she was like, “Oh at Culvers’, right?”

10. She asked about my experience speaking in front of groups and how it makes me feel. I mentioned most of my experience was from presentations in class so she asked what the longest speech I’ve had to memorize was.
11. She also asked how I’d feel about doing a job that was repetitive. Then she asked what I’d do if I was interrupted while giving a speech or something.

The person who had these questions/answers got accepted and is now on a professional internship with Disney.

Attractions Interview

Attractions
Lake Buena Vista, FL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Walt Disney Company.

Interview Details – You apply online and then go through a thorough personality quiz, then if you pass you go to Downtown Disney (in a tough to find building) and take the interview. However, if your resume isn't perfect in every way (they make no concessions for how the economy's been) with a lot of recent experience in a related position, they'll make a big deal out of it and nicely but firmly berate you for it as if it's all your fault. They don't bother looking at anything until the interview so you have to go to the interview to know their feelings about your resume. Also if you don't answer questions exactly the way they want, they'll count it as wrong even if it's a usually good answer to the question. After they feel the screening is done, they immediately tell you if you've moved on to the next interview or not. They obviously get a lot of candidates for each position. Since most jobs listed online (which is where all listings are) are college internships, that really cuts down the # of non-intern jobs. So they're as picky as possible. Only apply if you're really confident you can get in.

Interview Question – What would you do if a kid is throwing a tantrum and the parent is angry?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Burbank, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in March 2008.

Interview Details – Detailed and extensive. Serial interviews with both peers and supervisors. The corporate culture is consensus based--the ability to network across, between, and internal to business lines is critical. The company likes a diversity of experience. Integrity and personal standards are also paramount. The process is extremely competitive --the company can basically hire who they want. Be prepared to find ways in which your experience goes above and beyond what they are looking for.

Interview Question – The standard --what is your greatest weakness.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I would negotiate harder if I had it to do over again.

Finance Director Interview

Finance Director
Burbank, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in January 2009.

Interview Details – A Disney recruiter called me as they had my resume on file and informed me of the opportunity and inquired to see if I had interest in applying for the position. My interviews entailed 2 half day sessions and met with a total of 8 people including an EVP. Everyone was very cordial, polite and professional.

Interview Question – Questions pertaining to my management philosophy for both managing direct reports and senior management.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Surprisingly, they were not flexible with the base salary whatsoever; instead I was able to negotiate an improved signing bonus.

Intern Interview

Intern
Burbank, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in December 2009.

Interview Details – The initial phone interview was with HR, a standard first contact type interview, basic questions about my background and the position I was applying for. The second interview was with my hiring manager and the team I would be working with, they were much more in depth and asked more questions about my scholarly and work experiences.

Interview Question – If you were having problems forecasting marketing expenses because the team often tries to pad their budget how would you deal with this?   Answer Question

Project Controller Interview

Project Controller
Anaheim, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Walt Disney Company in June 2008.

Interview Details – The hiring process was as follows:

1. On phone interview
2. In person interview which consisted of meeting the following people over 4 hours:

Manager of group
Team members
Senior project manager
Director

The people that work for the company are nice and very loyal. The office culture is conservative and a bit old fashion depending on what department you are in.

Interview Questions

• If you were a Disney character who would you be and why?   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time where you failed and what did you learn from that situation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The process took about 2 weeks. I knew what the target range for the position was and I would not agree to an offer until I was given the upper end of the range. My advise is to be persistant and prepared in terms of justifying why you should be given this salary.

Worked for Walt Disney Company? Contribute to the Community!