Walt Disney Imagineering

Updated Sep 5, 2014
Updated Sep 5, 2014

2.2

Finance Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Walt Disney Imagineering.

3 rounds: 1st round typical behavioral questions with HR, 2nd and 3rd round also most behavioral with Finance Managers. Process from initial contact to getting the results took 4 weeks.

Finance Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Walt Disney Imagineering.

First round interview phone call from HR.

Intern Interview

There are not interviews needed for Internships. They are paid and are on a 3-6 month probation period. You really need to know someone to get in though.

Interview Questions
    • No questions are asked. You need to be an expert in whatever you are applying for though.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Set hourly rate.

R&D Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Walt Disney Imagineering.

Phone Interview and onsite interview

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Walt Disney Imagineering in September 2010.

I was recruited by an agency. I had already worked for the recruiter, so went straight to the interview at the company. Interviewed by ~4 people in the department. Started the next week.

Interview Questions
    • Deceivingly simple question: what factors do you need to consider when designing a door?   View Answer
    No negotiation with company. I asked for a "couple dollars" more than I was making at my last job.

Senior Project Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walt Disney Imagineering in September 2010.

I learned via newspaper advertising of a very specific position for which I believed I was uniquely qualified. I was very familiär with the organization, justifiably famous for its highly regarded and innovative world class projects. I knew an individual of some influence at the firm so rather than submit to HR I called him directly to ascertain the chances of succeeding to sucure the position. He researched the climate and upon a return call, agreed I was ideal for the position, had made an arrangement for me to be interviewed by the department head who would make the hiring decision. I was strongly cautioned not to submit anything to HR and to be very wary of the personality of my Interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • I was advised in advance that I would be interviewed by an individual with a completely self-congratulatory and outsized Ego, and that i would best serve my chances by listening to this person catalog his personal excellence and position in the company. I am very talkative and wanted to explain my abundant portfolio of work but spoke very little. My interviewer flipped through my portfolio criticizing odd aspects of the work, as if he were a city plan-checker or high school teacher and expressed incredulity that I could have produced such a volume of good work so early in my career (he imagined me to be in my early twenties and I was more than a decade older). I was hired but only temporarily which continues as a hiring practice at this company.   Answer Question
    I was glad to secure the job. However, the employment offer that was submitted was under-represented as to the seniority of the position and after accepting employment I found myself at nearly the bottom of the career ladder. The open position required in excess of ten year's experience in a very specific specialization of my Profession, which experience I amply demonstrated. However, I was to be employed only at a substantially reduced compensation and job classification. There was absolutely no room for negotiation. The only commentary when questioning the offer, in comparison to the HR-listed opening was :"this is a company where you have to pay dues first." So, I accepted employment ostensibly to get my foot in the door and strived for advancement once a füll time employee.

VDC Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Walt Disney Imagineering in January 2010.

A professor asked for resumes of people who may be interested in working for Walt Disney Imagineering. I sent mine in and got an interview with the HR recruiter and Project Manager. Interview was held on campus. I thought the interview process went really well, however, I was not offered a position.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Walt Disney Imagineering in November 2009.

Make interns work full time one semester, and often call for long hours. Cut-throat environment.

Interview Questions
    • What is OOP? How proficient are you with C#/.NET? Example of previous works using C#.   Answer Question

Structural Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Walt Disney Imagineering in November 2009.

I appllied from a job posting emailed from my university. I emailed my resume. After a week, i received a phone call from a manager and did a phone interview. That same day, i got a call saying that i got the job and i was the number one applicant.

Show Ride Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Walt Disney Imagineering in April 2009.

I got in for an interview initially through my best friend who introduced me to one of the people in upper management. I met in a more unofficial capacity, brought in my resume and a portfolio full of previous jobs, projects, theme park related design work, including photos of my model building (both architectural and show ride related) and sculpting skills. Apparently I impressed the gentleman I met with, and luck of all luck, ran into two other upper management blokes whom I was introduced to who then after questioning me and asking what I thought about Imagineering, perused my portfolio, and again, were impressed.

We said our goodbyes, and the gentleman who I had originally met with told me that that had been a really good stroke of luck running into the other two gentlemen, and that I should feel very lucky to have met them and in such a casual setting too.

He told me that he would procure me an interview with the department that he thought I best fit for the projects that they were in the very early planning stages of at that time. I gave him my best wishes and thanked him very much for chance to interview with him and mentioned that I was very thankful for the opportunity to meet with him and the other two gentlemen and looked forward to the continuing interview process.

About four days later, I was contacted by head of human resources at WDI and was asked to come in to fill out some paperwork, so they could start the process of interviewing me on an official level. The next week, I was appointed a time to go in to WDI in Glendale where I met the head of Dimensional Design as well as the head of Production Design. I interviewed with both department heads and although I was told that I was not being offered a job at that time, I smiled and thanked them for the opportunity to be interviewed as well as the tour of their facilities that they took me on, then I said that I would see them in two weeks.

Again, they told me that I was not being told that I was hired, and I acknowledged that, and still insisted that I would be seeing them in about two weeks.

A week later, I was given a call and asked if I could start immediately as human resources was trying to fit me into an employee introduction schedule that would end up taking me on a tour of Disneyland as well as Disney World in Florida. A week later, I was sitting in a room with about twenty other new employees receiving all of the information about how the company operates and what is expected of you as an employee and an overview of benefits etc., so forth and so on.

I knew that I was going to be hired because I had visualized it and had created a mantra verbalizing that reality and to pleasure, I flew through the interviewing and hiring process in days rather than weeks or months.

Working at Walt Disney Imagineering was one of the best times of my life. I especially miss working at their little branch division located (at that time) at Disneyland where I worked with an amazing group of talented people under the guidance of Kim Irvine. We had so much fun!

Interview Questions
    • Can you read blue prints? Actually, I do not recall ANY difficult or unexpected questions whatsoever.   View Answer
    What were you thinking as far as salary is concerned? I stated that I needed no less than ($AMOUNT)...and there was a short counter offer which I declines at first, then we agreed to settle on an amount that suited my and my family's needs at that time, with six month progress reviews and the ability to renegotiate the salaried contract. It seemed fairly simple and took no time at all. It seemed that both parties were in agreement.

Worked for Walt Disney Imagineering? Contribute to the Community!