Washington Mutual Interview Questions

2.6

Intern Interview

Got an email back from Northwestern one week after applying. Went to the downtown office for an in person interview (behavioral).

Interview Questions
    • It's the typical behavioral interview eg. describe a situation where you had to show leadership and how you achieved it.   Answer Question

Computer Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Washington Mutual.

Really easy interview. More like an orientation / background of the company. It seemed like they already decided to hire me even before I stepped into the building.

Interview Questions
    • None that I can remember. Not a lot of questions were asked.   Answer Question
    It wasn't difficult. They didn't low ball me and I wasn't greedy. We pretty much agreed on a salary immediately.

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Washington Mutual.

Easy as pie. The recruiter found me resume on Monster. He gave me a call for a brief screening. A couple days latter had an in person interview with the hiring manger and to future coworkers. Days late I was offered and expected the job and began days later (was unemployed at the time).

Interview Questions
    • Can remember as it was years ago, but do remember one. Preference: UNIX or Windows? I said UNIX, guess that was the right answer.   Answer Question
    Straight forward. Salary offered was higher than target salary.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Washington Mutual in March 2013.

Applied through university website. received a call back very promptly. went in for an interview. the entire process was 1 hour, mostly filled with "fit" questions about personality, goals, etc. Nothing complicated. Asked to make a 5min power point presentation due upon my 2nd interview which they scheduled then an there.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Washington Mutual in January 2012.

The interview process was pretty informal. They just basically want to see if you are well spoken and if you are sociable. At the end of the day, you are the one who controls your own destiny in the job. They are not investing that much money into you, as the base salary is quite low and it is you who controls your own destiny in the job. They did ask very cliche and traditional questions such as what I thought "my greatest weakness" was. Unfortunately, I also think they are wondering if you have access to people with money (or at least people with earning potential.)

Interview Questions

I am not interested in Sales.

Assistant Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Washington Mutual in June 2010.

This was a very basic interview based upon experience and behavioral questions. Tell me about yourself, your experience relavant to the job, etc. Then, it progressed to questions like, tell me a time when you... or, what do you think of the statement, " the customer is always right.'

The recruiter attempted to 'befriend" me by offering personal information I believe in an attempt to catch me off guard. I maintained my professionalism and didn't allow her to lure me into this.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me why you are interested in this position?   Answer Question
    • Describe a difficult situation in your previous position and what you did to resolve it?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Washington Mutual in May 2010.

I applied for the job on monster. A day later I received a phone call for a phone interview. I was then offered a one to one interview the next day to answer the basic interview questions (ie; why should i hire you, tell me about a time..., etc...). I was brought back immediately the next day to take a personality test while they ran a backround check on me. Went through salary negotiations 4 days later and decided it was not for me.

Interview Questions
    • Your not exactly what we are looking for. you seem to not be aggressive enough to stand out amongst our many employees.   View Answer

I did not like the hours that made up the salary. while the bonuses and incentives did not seem to be any motivation.

Associate Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chatsworth, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chatsworth, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Washington Mutual in May 2010.

Interviewed with manager, manager's peer, manager's boss and another level up the company before receiving offer.

Interview Questions
    • not applicable. questions were about technical expertise and work ethics   Answer Question

Financial Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Washington Mutual in April 2010.

Met a recruiter at job fair at my university, and she was immediately interested after learning more about me. She called me and we spoke a little more about my background and then sent me some personality tests. Afterwords we set up a 1:1 interview between her and I and she asked basic questions i.e. why do I want to work for Washington Mutual? Next came an interview with the managing partner of the office who more of told me about the office and what they do and their outlook on things. He really didn't ask me many questions at all. He instead suggested I meet with one of the current financial sales reps to learn more about their products, which the recruiter was instructed to set up. That never happened. What also pissed me off was they said they don't usually hire recent graduates to fill the position I was told I was interviewing for and that they usually hire their summer interns to fill the position. He also hinted at the fact that I be an intern (which does similar work to their entry level position) for a few months. I never heard back after that interview.

I also had a friend, a year below me, who was finalist for an summer intern position. At one point between the 1:1 with her and the 1:1 with the partner, she took 2 weeks to get back to me. She told me she was out of town on business. I knew she was lying because my friend had a 1:1 interview with her why she "was out of town on business."

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you struggled to find a solution to a problem, and how you went about solving it.   Answer Question

Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Washington Mutual in February 2010.

Apply Online, HR Reviews Application, Phone Interview, Interview in Person

Interview Questions
    • Give an example where you went above and beyond to serve a client   Answer Question