Washington State Auditors Interview Questions

Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Washington State Auditors

Assistant State Auditor Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Washington State Auditors in December 2014.

The interview was conducted by four agency employees; one regional director and three audit managers. After introducing each of the interviewers, they started asking their questions: tell about yourself, describe what does the agency do, how did your previous academic and professional experience prepared you for the position, etc., followed by few behavioral questions. Finally, after about 40 minutes of talking, they asked me to complete a 30 minutes writing assessment test comprised of only two questions. Overall, the tone of the interview was friendly, but very professional.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a chance to explain a complex idea/concept to a general public and were you successful in that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Washington State Auditors.

Interview is conducted using behavioral questions. Best to use the STAR method of answering. Be on time, do research on what they do before the interview - you will be asked if you know what they do. They have a website - don't say that you couldn't find any information. Dress professionally - not trendy, and, for women, no low-cut blouses. Look your questioner in the eye and answer the question that was asked. Don't try to BS the interviewers - after all they are auditors and fraud investigators. They know how to interview people and can tell when you are trying to manipulate them.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give an example of a situation in which you successfully managed your time on multiple projects?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. It is a set salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yakima, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yakima, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Washington State Auditors in January 2012.

All managers for region sit in on interview. Ask a lot of the same questions several times by different managers. A lot of questions on organizational skills, multi tasking, auditing experience.

No negotiation. Low pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Washington State Auditors in May 2010.

I was interviewed almost immediately approximately 2 days after I applied.

During the interviews, I was given a thorough understanding of the work the state auditor's office performs, the expectations of those that worked there and the ability to ask any and all questions I had about the opportunities available. Most of the auditors I interviewed with gave me their contact information and strongly encouraged me to call or email with any questions I had.

After my 2nd interview (during interviews I met all assistant audit managers and the audit manager) I was offered a job by the team's audit manager.

Interview Questions
    • Provide examples of how you handled difficult situations with those you worked with   View Answer
    Upfront, You know the salary range and benefits when you apply so there is no surprises there. The only negotiation I had was when I would start, they respected my giving 2 weeks notice to the job I left but communicated if I could start earlier they would welcome that too.