Washington University in St. Louis

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

2.7

Office Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

I was emailed the job posting, and I emailed back my cover letter and resume. About two weeks later, I was asked to come in for a one-on-one interview. A few days after the interview, I was extended an offer.

Executive Secretary Interview

The process was fairly simple - some expected questions with a few behavioral-based questions thrown in ... I interviewed for about 90 minutes on a Monday morning and was offered the position the next day.

Interview Questions
    • None were really unexpected. Tell me about yourself; Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a co-worker, how did you handle it, and what was the outcome? Tell me about a situation that you saved your department money - walk me through the specifics including $'s saved. How did you recognize this was costing the department money? I had read there would be behavioral-based questions so I was prepared.   Answer Question

PhD Candidate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

I interviewed with 5 faculty members. Each interview was 30 minutes long. The faculty member spoke for about 15 minutes about his/her research. The rest of the time they wanted to hear about my previous research experience. Find out who you will be interviewing with and read their latest papers and ask questions about their research. They want to know that you can think like a scientist.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to come up with a project in my lab, given what you know about what we do, what would it be and why.   Answer Question

Server Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in July 2014.

Manager was 15 minutes late to a 30 minute interview. When I tried to chat with him on the walk to the meeting room he grunted at me. The entire interview was about 10 minutes long. He sat down and said nothing except to ask about 8 rapid fire tech questions. He wouldn't look at me or talk to me and kept looking at the time on his phone.

Total waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • The 8 questions where pretty straight forward IT admin type questions.   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

I got interview 20 days after application. It was a panel interview. They asked very straighforward questions and spent lot of time on describing job and how I am lacking experience in that particular research area.

Interview Questions
    • They did not ask any technical questions. It was a very basic interview   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in May 2014.

Initially contacted PI by email also posted a CV on the DBBS website. I received interest from 4 faculty members and was given two offers before accepting one of the offers and informing the other two faculty about my decision. I went to visit and did two interviews on back to back days and received offers from both PIs. The interviews were both full days spent talking with various members of the labs and the PIs followed by a seminar and more chats with other lab members. At the end of the day I met with the PIs and received an offer on the spot from both of them.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation took place as I will be a postdoc on the NIH pay scale.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in May 2014.

I met with an employee at the university who passed my resume along. The next day I received an email asking for a phone interview the following week. He asked me about my career trajectory and then spent 20 minutes explaining the position to me (this seemed odd). Then I asked about 5 questions, he told me I was articulate and seemed really smart and if the whole thing was based on our phone conversation, he would hire me. Then things got weird. He spent about 40 minutes critiquing the formatting of my resume, telling me I needed more buzzwords and that there were too many jobs (it's 2 pages, there are 8, they are all entirely relevant). He told me I could resubmit my resume using his preferred formatting although it wouldn't make a difference in hiring. This was the most confusing interview I have ever been on– you cannot tailor a resume to every single person's whims, and if you have zero intention of hiring someone you don't a) schedule a formal interview with them, then b) complain that you're interviewing them, and then c) say if it was based on interviews alone, you would hire but as it stands someone else gave you buzzwords. Ultimately a bizarre, infuriating waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • He literally asked me zero questions after "Tell me about yourself." The rest was him talking at me.   Answer Question

Librarian Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Submitted my cover letter and resume, emailed to set up phone interview. I was invited to the campus for an in person interview which was all day meeting multiple staff and/or peers. I had a Power Point presentation of my own choosing which I presented in the morning, answered questions. Lunch was casual with potential supervisor, dinner follow up with potential peers.

The entire process was about a month. I have had the interview but no communication so far
    (it has been 1 week).

The interview process was thoughtful and organized well. It was a comfortable interview with a lot of open ended questions. What are your hobbies? How would you add value? What is your working style?

Senior Associate Director of Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Phase 1: Initial interview with prospective supervisor and perhaps their supervisor as well
    Phase 2: 6 - 10 interviews, 30-minutes each, back to back over 1-2 days is the norm with peers or other managers you would not report to
    Phase 3: Interview with Exec Vice Chancellor

Interview Questions
    • Lots of questions about specific gifts I had worked on in the past   Answer Question
    Negotiated with only my direct supervisor, who had to also talk with the senior manager at each step. It took only 2 days o so. I was not sure the salary range going in, so that would have helped. I also didn't fully understand where my job title would fall in the overall hierarchy.

Research Assistant Interview