Washington University in St. Louis Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.7

Executive Secretary Interview

The process was fairly simple - some expected questions with a few behavioral-based questions thrown in ... I interviewed for about 90 minutes on a Monday morning and was offered the position the next day.

Interview Questions
    • None were really unexpected. Tell me about yourself; Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a co-worker, how did you handle it, and what was the outcome? Tell me about a situation that you saved your department money - walk me through the specifics including $'s saved. How did you recognize this was costing the department money? I had read there would be behavioral-based questions so I was prepared.   Answer Question

PhD Candidate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

I interviewed with 5 faculty members. Each interview was 30 minutes long. The faculty member spoke for about 15 minutes about his/her research. The rest of the time they wanted to hear about my previous research experience. Find out who you will be interviewing with and read their latest papers and ask questions about their research. They want to know that you can think like a scientist.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to come up with a project in my lab, given what you know about what we do, what would it be and why.   Answer Question

Server Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in July 2014.

Manager was 15 minutes late to a 30 minute interview. When I tried to chat with him on the walk to the meeting room he grunted at me. The entire interview was about 10 minutes long. He sat down and said nothing except to ask about 8 rapid fire tech questions. He wouldn't look at me or talk to me and kept looking at the time on his phone.

Total waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • The 8 questions where pretty straight forward IT admin type questions.   Answer Question

Laser Lab Monitor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in August 2013.

You could send an email to the manager to express your interest about the job. And then you have to wait the manager to make a decision and receive another email to inform you are be selected.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in March 2014.

The interview is pretty simple since I got my Ph.D., meet with several professors. answer several related questions. The most important thing is that your skills matched what they expected.

interview, get the offer, negotiate some benefits.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in May 2013.

I just emailed the principal investigator. Some of the senior students also work in that agency. So they are pretty familiar with our student cohort. Got an email expressing interest to talk in-person. Mainly discussed the current research projects to see if I am interested in working on them. After a week, I followed up and got the job.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in May 2014.

Initially contacted PI by email also posted a CV on the DBBS website. I received interest from 4 faculty members and was given two offers before accepting one of the offers and informing the other two faculty about my decision. I went to visit and did two interviews on back to back days and received offers from both PIs. The interviews were both full days spent talking with various members of the labs and the PIs followed by a seminar and more chats with other lab members. At the end of the day I met with the PIs and received an offer on the spot from both of them.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation took place as I will be a postdoc on the NIH pay scale.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

I got interview 20 days after application. It was a panel interview. They asked very straighforward questions and spent lot of time on describing job and how I am lacking experience in that particular research area.

Interview Questions
    • They did not ask any technical questions. It was a very basic interview   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in May 2014.

I met with an employee at the university who passed my resume along. The next day I received an email asking for a phone interview the following week. He asked me about my career trajectory and then spent 20 minutes explaining the position to me (this seemed odd). Then I asked about 5 questions, he told me I was articulate and seemed really smart and if the whole thing was based on our phone conversation, he would hire me. Then things got weird. He spent about 40 minutes critiquing the formatting of my resume, telling me I needed more buzzwords and that there were too many jobs (it's 2 pages, there are 8, they are all entirely relevant). He told me I could resubmit my resume using his preferred formatting although it wouldn't make a difference in hiring. This was the most confusing interview I have ever been on– you cannot tailor a resume to every single person's whims, and if you have zero intention of hiring someone you don't a) schedule a formal interview with them, then b) complain that you're interviewing them, and then c) say if it was based on interviews alone, you would hire but as it stands someone else gave you buzzwords. Ultimately a bizarre, infuriating waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • He literally asked me zero questions after "Tell me about yourself." The rest was him talking at me.   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in April 2014.

I applied on April 6th and got an on the spot phone interview (no prior notice) on April 25th. An interview was scheduled for April 30th during which I met the PI and a staff of coordinators. Everyone was very friendly and informative. I was being sold on the job more than I was being questioned about my abilities. Had to reach out to the PI two weeks after my interview to find out I was not offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very straight forward. The most interesting one was, "If you could design your perfect study what would it be"   Answer Question

Worked for Washington University in St. Louis? Contribute to the Community!