Washington University in St. Louis

61 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Laser Lab Monitor Interview

Laser Lab Monitor

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in August 2013.

Interview Details – You could send an email to the manager to express your interest about the job. And then you have to wait the manager to make a decision and receive another email to inform you are be selected.

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview is pretty simple since I got my Ph.D., meet with several professors. answer several related questions. The most important thing is that your skills matched what they expected.

Negotiation Details – interview, get the offer, negotiate some benefits.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in May 2013.

Interview Details – I just emailed the principal investigator. Some of the senior students also work in that agency. So they are pretty familiar with our student cohort. Got an email expressing interest to talk in-person. Mainly discussed the current research projects to see if I am interested in working on them. After a week, I followed up and got the job.

Interview Question – No difficult question.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in May 2014.

Interview Details – Initially contacted PI by email also posted a CV on the DBBS website. I received interest from 4 faculty members and was given two offers before accepting one of the offers and informing the other two faculty about my decision. I went to visit and did two interviews on back to back days and received offers from both PIs. The interviews were both full days spent talking with various members of the labs and the PIs followed by a seminar and more chats with other lab members. At the end of the day I met with the PIs and received an offer on the spot from both of them.

Interview Question – No difficult questions to speak of.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation took place as I will be a postdoc on the NIH pay scale.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Clinical Research Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview Details – I got interview 20 days after application. It was a panel interview. They asked very straighforward questions and spent lot of time on describing job and how I am lacking experience in that particular research area.

Interview Question – They did not ask any technical questions. It was a very basic interview   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in May 2014.

Interview Details – I met with an employee at the university who passed my resume along. The next day I received an email asking for a phone interview the following week. He asked me about my career trajectory and then spent 20 minutes explaining the position to me (this seemed odd). Then I asked about 5 questions, he told me I was articulate and seemed really smart and if the whole thing was based on our phone conversation, he would hire me. Then things got weird. He spent about 40 minutes critiquing the formatting of my resume, telling me I needed more buzzwords and that there were too many jobs (it's 2 pages, there are 8, they are all entirely relevant). He told me I could resubmit my resume using his preferred formatting although it wouldn't make a difference in hiring. This was the most confusing interview I have ever been on– you cannot tailor a resume to every single person's whims, and if you have zero intention of hiring someone you don't a) schedule a formal interview with them, then b) complain that you're interviewing them, and then c) say if it was based on interviews alone, you would hire but as it stands someone else gave you buzzwords. Ultimately a bizarre, infuriating waste of time.

Interview Question – He literally asked me zero questions after "Tell me about yourself." The rest was him talking at me.   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Clinical Research Coordinator
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on April 6th and got an on the spot phone interview (no prior notice) on April 25th. An interview was scheduled for April 30th during which I met the PI and a staff of coordinators. Everyone was very friendly and informative. I was being sold on the job more than I was being questioned about my abilities. Had to reach out to the PI two weeks after my interview to find out I was not offered the job.

Interview Question – All questions were very straight forward. The most interesting one was, "If you could design your perfect study what would it be"   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Clinical Research Coordinator II Interview

Clinical Research Coordinator II

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was notified via email by the School of Medicine Dept of Oncology that they wanted to interview me for an exciting opportunity but would not disclose the job. I managed to figure out through the external applicant site that I was being considered for a job that I applied to nearly 4 months ago, (late Dec 2013).

I was interviewed over the phone the following week with standard interview questions, several of which were unrelated which is to be expected. The first question I was asked was why I wanted to work for WashU, and why I specifically wanted to work in a position where most people quit within six months of hire. The interview ran for a good 30min and I was asked when I could start if I was offered a job on (undisclosed) date. I was informed I'd be contacted in the next two weeks if they were interested in moving forward with me, which they weren't.

A note about WashU, I'm a recent MPH graduate, and for the past year have applied to 70 jobs with this company. I networked at job fairs, was in direct contact with HR staff and was even offered help by the School of Medicine's chief of staff. None of this helped at all, and the hiring manger I spoke to seemed surprised that I had applied to more than one position with the University. (Note: I asked her what job I was being considered, and the response was "Oh, you've applied to more than one job?") I was also asked what salary I was looking for and stated I'm happy with the posted range. The hiring manager then asked me to provide the salary range for the job claiming (said person) didn't know what it was.

I have no clue how you could ever get a job at WashU. Maybe you need to be famous, maybe you need to be a relative of a current employee, or maybe you need to have all the luck in the world.

Interview Question – Why do you want a job where most people quit within six months?   View Answer

Librarian Interview

Librarian

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview Details – Submitted my cover letter and resume, emailed to set up phone interview. I was invited to the campus for an in person interview which was all day meeting multiple staff and/or peers. I had a Power Point presentation of my own choosing which I presented in the morning, answered questions. Lunch was casual with potential supervisor, dinner follow up with potential peers.

The entire process was about a month. I have had the interview but no communication so far
(it has been 1 week).

The interview process was thoughtful and organized well. It was a comfortable interview with a lot of open ended questions. What are your hobbies? How would you add value? What is your working style?

Interview Question – How do you resolve conflict in the work place?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in April 2014.

Interview Details – 4 interviews, very friendly Professors, who are enthusiastic about their work.

Interview Question – Some specific details about what I did in my research previously.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted another university's offer.

Worked for Washington University in St. Louis? Contribute to the Community!