Washington University in St. Louis

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in April 2014.

Interview Details – 4 interviews, very friendly Professors, who are enthusiastic about their work.

Interview Question – Some specific details about what I did in my research previously.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted another university's offer.

Senior Associate Director of Development Interview

Senior Associate Director of Development
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview Details – Phase 1: Initial interview with prospective supervisor and perhaps their supervisor as well
Phase 2: 6 - 10 interviews, 30-minutes each, back to back over 1-2 days is the norm with peers or other managers you would not report to
Phase 3: Interview with Exec Vice Chancellor

Interview Question – Lots of questions about specific gifts I had worked on in the past   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated with only my direct supervisor, who had to also talk with the senior manager at each step. It took only 2 days o so. I was not sure the salary range going in, so that would have helped. I also didn't fully understand where my job title would fall in the overall hierarchy.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interview Details – Apply for PHD program

Interview Question – Future plan   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student

Interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis

Interview Details – I visited as a prospective PhD student for the Biomedical Engineering department. The experience was very standard for visiting PhD students. You're essentially already accepted into the program if you're given the offer to visit, and the BME department will offer an all expenses paid weekend visit to see their labs, facilities, and discuss research opportunities.

Grant Specialist Interview

Grant Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview Details – Long period between application submitted and phone call to set up an interview. Then a long period between interview and offer.

Interview Question – The interview was conversational I didn't feel that there was a difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation just an offer letter with a stated salary.

Research Patient Coordinator Interview

Research Patient Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview Details – HR takes a long time to get info to the right places. I have a PhD and wrote papers, but they still made me take an office skills and typing test. Once your info made it to the department hiring manager, I received a call for the interview. I applied in May and was hired in October. Received a call in Sept from the hiring manager, so HR sat on my application forever. They are known for this.

Interview Question – All questions were expected. Handling confidentiality. Can I learn to take blood pressure. How would I handle having to reorganize what someone else poorly organized.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was at the top end of the pay scale. I asked for what I made at a previous position and received it. However, not the typical salary for this position.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in March 2010.

Interview Details – upload my CV at the university job site. Receive a phone call. Sent out my thesis abstract. The second phone call confirmed that they will offer me a position. No onsite interview.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Senior Prospect Research Analyst Interview

Senior Prospect Research Analyst
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in October 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online in response opening posted on their website.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis

Interview Details – Phone interview, long interviews with multiple managers. Interviews lasted over an hour. The hiring process included meeting with human resources, a urine test and a hair sample was taken for drug testing. They cut out a significant chunk of hair and the employees who were involved in this process could not have possible been any ruder. In addition to the interviews, references were checked, all that were listed.

Interview Question – None, just the usual questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was told it wasn't an option.

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in April 2010.

Interview Details – Just like many jobs, I got an offer at this position because my former classmate from MBL course notified me that my current boss is looking for a postdoc who has experience in ophthalmology research. At the same time WashU was having a massive recruitment weekend for postdoc so I applied for the program to pay my way up here and for the stay. This always shows your willingness and dedication that leaves a good impression to the PI's. The rest is basically the same process. First night you get in you have a dinner with PI. Then on the day of interview I had breakfast with two postdocs and a tech that worked in the lab. Then gave a talk my thesis project in the lab meeting (PI, two postdocs, a tech and two residents).

Interview Question – How do you plan to support your salary if a PI was to lose a grant?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Immediately after I got back from the trip my PI verbally gave me an offer. There wasn't much to negotiate since postdoc position has its own category at WashU. Three things I wish I had known.
1) Your salary does not go up as much as NIH pay scale. I started with $38,000 then i got 1.25% raise every June. So it's my 4th year in the lab and my annual salary is still below $40K.
2) There's absolutely no contribution on your retirement with the school.
3) You can only hold your postdoc position for 5 yrs. That include any previous experience as a postdoc so once you hit the 5 yr mark you are out.