Washington University in St. Louis

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

2.7

PhD Student Interview

I visited as a prospective PhD student for the Biomedical Engineering department. The experience was very standard for visiting PhD students. You're essentially already accepted into the program if you're given the offer to visit, and the BME department will offer an all expenses paid weekend visit to see their labs, facilities, and discuss research opportunities.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in April 2014.

4 interviews, very friendly Professors, who are enthusiastic about their work.

Interview Questions
    • Some specific details about what I did in my research previously.   Answer Question

Accepted another university's offer.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in April 2014.

I applied on April 6th and got an on the spot phone interview (no prior notice) on April 25th. An interview was scheduled for April 30th during which I met the PI and a staff of coordinators. Everyone was very friendly and informative. I was being sold on the job more than I was being questioned about my abilities. Had to reach out to the PI two weeks after my interview to find out I was not offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very straight forward. The most interesting one was, "If you could design your perfect study what would it be"   Answer Question

Grant Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Long period between application submitted and phone call to set up an interview. Then a long period between interview and offer.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was conversational I didn't feel that there was a difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation just an offer letter with a stated salary.

Research Patient Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

HR takes a long time to get info to the right places. I have a PhD and wrote papers, but they still made me take an office skills and typing test. Once your info made it to the department hiring manager, I received a call for the interview. I applied in May and was hired in October. Received a call in Sept from the hiring manager, so HR sat on my application forever. They are known for this.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were expected. Handling confidentiality. Can I learn to take blood pressure. How would I handle having to reorganize what someone else poorly organized.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I was at the top end of the pay scale. I asked for what I made at a previous position and received it. However, not the typical salary for this position.

Clinical Research Coordinator II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in March 2014.

I was notified via email by the School of Medicine Dept of Oncology that they wanted to interview me for an exciting opportunity but would not disclose the job. I managed to figure out through the external applicant site that I was being considered for a job that I applied to nearly 4 months ago, (late Dec 2013).

I was interviewed over the phone the following week with standard interview questions, several of which were unrelated which is to be expected. The first question I was asked was why I wanted to work for WashU, and why I specifically wanted to work in a position where most people quit within six months of hire. The interview ran for a good 30min and I was asked when I could start if I was offered a job on (undisclosed) date. I was informed I'd be contacted in the next two weeks if they were interested in moving forward with me, which they weren't.

A note about WashU, I'm a recent MPH graduate, and for the past year have applied to 70 jobs with this company. I networked at job fairs, was in direct contact with HR staff and was even offered help by the School of Medicine's chief of staff. None of this helped at all, and the hiring manger I spoke to seemed surprised that I had applied to more than one position with the University. (Note: I asked her what job I was being considered, and the response was "Oh, you've applied to more than one job?") I was also asked what salary I was looking for and stated I'm happy with the posted range. The hiring manager then asked me to provide the salary range for the job claiming (said person) didn't know what it was.

I have no clue how you could ever get a job at WashU. Maybe you need to be famous, maybe you need to be a relative of a current employee, or maybe you need to have all the luck in the world.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want a job where most people quit within six months?   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in March 2014.

The interview is pretty simple since I got my Ph.D., meet with several professors. answer several related questions. The most important thing is that your skills matched what they expected.

interview, get the offer, negotiate some benefits.

Research Assistant Interview

Phone interview, long interviews with multiple managers. Interviews lasted over an hour. The hiring process included meeting with human resources, a urine test and a hair sample was taken for drug testing. They cut out a significant chunk of hair and the employees who were involved in this process could not have possible been any ruder. In addition to the interviews, references were checked, all that were listed.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. I was told it wasn't an option.

Librarian Interview

Went relatively quickly for an academic library. I submitted an application and heard back in about a month that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview with the search committee was about 30 minutes long and they asked technical and job-duties-related questions. I was invited for a campus visit shortly after. The visit was 1.5 days and included a series of group interviews, a presentation and open Q&A, and dinner and lunch. I got a job offer a week or so after they checked references. There was absolutely no room to negotiate salary or additional benefits. They do offer a good relocation package-- visit to find a place, pack and move, no storage or temporary housing though.

Interview Questions
    • There were no terribly difficult or unexpected questions. Most were related to job skills and trajectory of career. Some personality/working style questions.   Answer Question
    No flexibility to negotiate. They were very firm on that.

Laser Lab Monitor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in August 2013.

You could send an email to the manager to express your interest about the job. And then you have to wait the manager to make a decision and receive another email to inform you are be selected.