Washington University in St. Louis Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2015

2.6

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2014.

Interview

Initially contacted PI by email also posted a CV on the DBBS website. I received interest from 4 faculty members and was given two offers before accepting one of the offers and informing the other two faculty about my decision. I went to visit and did two interviews on back to back days and received offers from both PIs. The interviews were both full days spent talking with various members of the labs and the PIs followed by a seminar and more chats with other lab members. At the end of the day I met with the PIs and received an offer on the spot from both of them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation took place as I will be a postdoc on the NIH pay scale.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2014.

Interview

I met with an employee at the university who passed my resume along. The next day I received an email asking for a phone interview the following week. He asked me about my career trajectory and then spent 20 minutes explaining the position to me (this seemed odd). Then I asked about 5 questions, he told me I was articulate and seemed really smart and if the whole thing was based on our phone conversation, he would hire me. Then things got weird. He spent about 40 minutes critiquing the formatting of my resume, telling me I needed more buzzwords and that there were too many jobs (it's 2 pages, there are 8, they are all entirely relevant). He told me I could resubmit my resume using his preferred formatting although it wouldn't make a difference in hiring. This was the most confusing interview I have ever been on– you cannot tailor a resume to every single person's whims, and if you have zero intention of hiring someone you don't a) schedule a formal interview with them, then b) complain that you're interviewing them, and then c) say if it was based on interviews alone, you would hire but as it stands someone else gave you buzzwords. Ultimately a bizarre, infuriating waste of time.

Interview Questions

• He literally asked me zero questions after "Tell me about yourself." The rest was him talking at me.   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2014.

Interview

Received an email for onsite interview 20 days after I completed job application. Hiring manager was very friendly but the other panel member never seemed interested in interview and kept telling me over and over that I do not have relevant experience. I may be wrong but it felt like that whole interview was just a formality by the department to complete the requirement of interviewing X number of candidates.

Two weeks later Hiring manager notified me that they have chosen someone else but she is forwarding my resume to other hiring managers for other CRC positions.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions   1 Answer

Librarian Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview

Submitted my cover letter and resume, emailed to set up phone interview. I was invited to the campus for an in person interview which was all day meeting multiple staff and/or peers. I had a Power Point presentation of my own choosing which I presented in the morning, answered questions. Lunch was casual with potential supervisor, dinner follow up with potential peers.

The entire process was about a month. I have had the interview but no communication so far
    (it has been 1 week).

The interview process was thoughtful and organized well. It was a comfortable interview with a lot of open ended questions. What are your hobbies? How would you add value? What is your working style?

Senior Associate Director of Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Phase 1: Initial interview with prospective supervisor and perhaps their supervisor as well
    Phase 2: 6 - 10 interviews, 30-minutes each, back to back over 1-2 days is the norm with peers or other managers you would not report to
    Phase 3: Interview with Exec Vice Chancellor

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about specific gifts I had worked on in the past   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated with only my direct supervisor, who had to also talk with the senior manager at each step. It took only 2 days o so. I was not sure the salary range going in, so that would have helped. I also didn't fully understand where my job title would fall in the overall hierarchy.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Apply for PHD program

PhD Student Interview

Interview

I visited as a prospective PhD student for the Biomedical Engineering department. The experience was very standard for visiting PhD students. You're essentially already accepted into the program if you're given the offer to visit, and the BME department will offer an all expenses paid weekend visit to see their labs, facilities, and discuss research opportunities.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis (Saint Louis, MO) in April 2014.

Interview

4 interviews, very friendly Professors, who are enthusiastic about their work.

Interview Questions

• Some specific details about what I did in my research previously.   Answer Question

Accepted another university's offer.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis (Saint Louis, MO) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied on April 6th and got an on the spot phone interview (no prior notice) on April 25th. An interview was scheduled for April 30th during which I met the PI and a staff of coordinators. Everyone was very friendly and informative. I was being sold on the job more than I was being questioned about my abilities. Had to reach out to the PI two weeks after my interview to find out I was not offered the job.

Interview Questions

• All questions were very straight forward. The most interesting one was, "If you could design your perfect study what would it be"   Answer Question

Grant Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview

Long period between application submitted and phone call to set up an interview. Then a long period between interview and offer.

Interview Questions

• The interview was conversational I didn't feel that there was a difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation just an offer letter with a stated salary.