Washington University in St. Louis

61 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Librarian Interview

Librarian

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview Details – Went relatively quickly for an academic library. I submitted an application and heard back in about a month that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview with the search committee was about 30 minutes long and they asked technical and job-duties-related questions. I was invited for a campus visit shortly after. The visit was 1.5 days and included a series of group interviews, a presentation and open Q&A, and dinner and lunch. I got a job offer a week or so after they checked references. There was absolutely no room to negotiate salary or additional benefits. They do offer a good relocation package-- visit to find a place, pack and move, no storage or temporary housing though.

Interview Question – There were no terribly difficult or unexpected questions. Most were related to job skills and trajectory of career. Some personality/working style questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No flexibility to negotiate. They were very firm on that.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview Details – Filled out and application and got an email saying I was accepted

Interview Question – No questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. 7.50

Research Patient Coordinator Interview

Research Patient Coordinator
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in July 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online. HR takes long time to route application to department where position is. Afterwards, the process got quicker.

Interview Question – How long do you plan to stay with us?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Typical. Went back and forth couple of times regarding salary.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview Details – I learned abou the opening through my friends who I went to a course in Woods Hole. Coincidentally, there was a diversity recruiting event for the postdocs which i got. First, night I spend dinner with the PI as ice breaker. Then followed by full day of interview with lab members and seminar on my thesis project. As soon as I got back home the PI called and sent me an offer letter for the position guaranteeing 5 yrs of my salary with his grant.

Interview Question – Nothing in particular my PI and I hit it off immediately.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much, as many people know postdoc salary is relatively non-negotiable. I should have checked about the annual raise because while my first year pay was significantly higher than NIH minimum my pay for subsequent year was lower than NIH std (~$300 raise/yr compared to $2,000-2,500 in NIH)

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in February 2009.

Interview Details – Different people have different interview process. Some professors do face-to-face interview. Others just do phone interview.

Interview Question – No such questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiable conditions.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview Details – Initial application online, then telephone interview, then first in person interview followed by panel interview.

Interview Question – None, all questions were the standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis.

Interview Details – Met with all staff and management. Position fully explained. No surprises. Acted quickly to hire. Asked "How would you handle this situation" or "how would you solve this problem" type of questions.

Interview Question – Would you have any difficulty firing someone?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Tried to negotiate, not possible.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in January 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring process is as simple as emailing the principal investigator and sending the PI a CV. Some interviews are as simple as meeting with the PI for an hour in his/her office, while other interviews involve a 2 day process of giving 45 min talks and meeting with several faculty and having lunches/dinners with members of one or more labs.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you when there are other more qualified PhDs with more experience in this field of study?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was possible. The principal investigators pay the minimum that Washington University requires them to pay postdocs. Raises are uncommon as well unless the postdoc secures his/her own funding through a successful postdoctoral fellowship application.

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in April 2009.

Interview Details – You give a talk on your research, you collect recommendations, in person interview with the department chariman

Negotiation Details – through letters mostly

Conference Coordinator Interview

Conference Coordinator
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in July 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted a resume with a cover letter. Called me about a week later. Brief phone interview, next call that afternoon. Set up an interview for the next day, nice woman, fairly easy questions. Toured the facility and chatted a bit. Followed up with a thank you email. Heard absolutely nothing for a month and then received a stock email thanking me but declining to move forward.

Interview Question – Really no curve balls...   Answer Question