Washington University in St. Louis
www.wustl.edu Saint Louis, MO 5000+ Employees

Washington University in St. Louis Software Architect Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Architect Interview

Software Architect
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Washington University in St. Louis in September 2010.

Interview Details – A friend posted the job on a developer group message board. I fit the skills, so I applied. Within 12 hours, the scientist who ran the lab contacted me to schedule an interview. Within 1 week, I interviewed on site. The scientist asked about my experience, but didn't have many technical questions. The lab was just a cubical farm in a medical office building. It didn't seem like a fun place to work. Within 1 week, he contacted me with an offer, which was 25% too low. He was limited by what the university would pay, but offered to create a special position with his startup to meet my salary requirements. I was still interested and went to meet the team. The team I would be guiding was collectively very intelligent and educated, but lacked engineering discipline. They claimed to have newly adopted agile methodologies and were very accepting of new technologies (clojure, scala, python). I scheduled a team pairing session for 1 week later. When pairing, I discovered they had not implemented any agile practices as they initially claimed. The team wrote no tests and had little communication.

Interview Question – How would you improve quality of the product?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They claimed to have newly adopted agile methodologies and were very accepting of new technologies (clojure, scala, python). I scheduled a team pairing session for 1 week later. When pairing, I discovered they had not implemented any agile practices as they initially claimed. The team wrote no tests and had little communication.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Washington University in St. Louis

Worked for Washington University in St. Louis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Washington University in St. Louis Software Architect interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Washington University in St. Louis employees and interview candidates.